Any issues with shimano 8000 motors throwing cranks !

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Here's my technique:

1) Use the aluminum crank cap to get the crankarms snug against the splines
2) Tighten the inner crankarm bolt slightly snug
3) Remove the aluminum crank cap
4) Replace them with the OEM plastic crank cap
5) Tighten the crankarm bolts
6) Go ride

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Here's my technique:

1) Use the aluminum crank cap to get the crankarms snug against the splines
2) Tighten the inner crankarm bolt slightly snug
3) Remove the aluminum crank cap
4) Replace them with the OEM plastic crank cap
5) Tighten the crankarm bolts
6) Go ride

Why start with aluminium and then switch to the plastic. You can pull them up firm enough with the plastic ones from the start!

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I bought a TITO Titaniium Crank Cover M20. It's about 0.5mm bigger.

I have shimano cranks. I did take the pinch bolts out before tightening down.

I've attach a pic of how far out they are. Took it for a quick 12k ride yesterday and so far so good. Just looks odd.

View attachment 46182

View attachment 46183
That's because they're made to the same specs as the ebay/china ones and the inner shoulder is too big but at least you have pulled it up in the splines of the crank. You'd strip the alloy threads on the cap before you damaged to internal threads of the crank.

Reactions: iXi

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
That's because they're made to the same specs as the ebay/china ones and the inner shoulder is too big but at least you have pulled it up in the splines of the crank. You'd strip the alloy threads on the cap before you damaged to internal threads of the crank.

Thanks that's what I was hoping for. I've tightened it down so you can't see the inner shoulder now.

I've got a burgtec on order now, just have to wait for it to come in.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
The reason shimano make those caps/bolts from plastic is to deter home mechanics from over tightening/pre-loading their HTII BB bearings.

Spoken to Shimano on this have you?
I would say in my opinion (just like what you have stated is just your opinion). They're made from plastic as they only require a maximum of 1.5Nm torque, it's more likely a cost saving exercise, why make something out CNC'd of 6016 or 7075 aluminium when a plastic injection moulded cap can be made for 1/10th of the cost.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Thanks that's what I was hoping for. I've tightened it down so you can't see the inner shoulder now.

I've got a burgtec on order now, just have to wait for it to come in.
The Burgtec ones look the goods, just hellishly expensive, it was about $77AUD when I last looked with currency conversion and freight for 2.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
The Burgtec ones look the goods, just hellishly expensive, it was about $77AUD when I last looked with currency conversion and freight for 2.

I've ordered one from bikebug.com $19.95. If it works out I'll grab one for the left side too. They had no black so I have gone bronze.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Personally if it was me for those ones with the bigger inner shoulder, I wouldn't do the cap up first and then the pinch bolts. Given that they're made out of 6061 or 7075 aluminium there's a good chance that they won't crush enough to allow the pinch bolts to toque up correctly to 12-14Nm.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Spoken to Shimano on this have you?
I would say in my opinion (just like what you have stated is just your opinion). They're made from plastic as they only require a maximum of 1.5Nm torque, it's more likely a cost saving exercise, why make something out CNC'd of 6016 or 7075 aluminium when a plastic injection moulded cap can be made for 1/10th of the cost.
how about both of those reasons emalgamated just to blow your mind?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Well my burgtec turned up today. It's considerably smaller which was to be expected. The cheap Chinese one had to be torqued up to about 8-10nm to get a snug fit, the burgtec fits barely tightening it.

With that said I did about 150k with the cheap Chinese cap and it didn't fall off, good luck or good measure who knows. Couple of comparison photos to compare.

I'll order one for the left crank now even though it's yet to throw that crank.

20201217_213913.jpg

20201217_213854.jpg

20201217_214021.jpg

20201217_213945.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
consider buying a decent allen key set too.
your new burgtec cap looks like you tightened it with a bread knife :cool:

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
consider buying a decent allen key set too.
your new burgtec cap looks like you tightened it with a bread knife :cool:

That's the thing hey I do. It's a wera set but the coating on the cap is so soft. Noticed that after I took the photo. Barely even tightened it.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Well my burgtec turned up today. It's considerably smaller which was to be expected. The cheap Chinese one had to be torqued up to about 8-10nm to get a snug fit, the burgtec fits barely tightening it.

With that said I did about 150k with the cheap Chinese cap and it didn't fall off, good luck or good measure who knows. Couple of comparison photos to compare.

I'll order one for the left crank now even though it's yet to throw that crank.

View attachment 47390

View attachment 47391

View attachment 47392

View attachment 47393
That Burgtec one looks way better without the shoulder step!
Did you chuck on a bit of blue Loctite too?

Skel

Mar 31, 2021
Victoria, Australia
It's worth noting that the plastic bolt is not the primary method of retention here. It is the pinch bolts which clamp the crank down onto the spline that does all the work. If they're tightened correctly they should not come loose and the plastic(or alloy) bolt should not even come into play.

I recently swapped cranks, i have tensioned the pinch bolts to 13nm and checked/re-tensioned after a short ride and then again after each ride until i was no longer getting any any movement from the bolt before the tension wrench clicked off.

Various factors will cause the pinch bolts to lose some tension after the cranks are installed, the components will settle in after some riding and the bolts may "stretch" a little as well. I think it is important to check the bolts and tighten a several times to ensure they stay nice and snug.

I agree with this guy. The cap is meant to locate the crank, not hold it on. Appreciate that it might be a good redundancy if the pinch bolts come loose.

I have e13 cranks on a 21 Commencal Meta power SX race. Lost my left one while practicing wheelies in the carpark (thankfully not on a 49 footer). the spline mating seems a bit shite too me - only half of the female part seems to get clamped and make contact with the Shimano shaft properly.

I've refitted a new plastic cap, checked the crank is fully seated on the spline and retorqued. Will report back on longevity and retorque the bolts. I wrapped the cap thread with some PTFE tape too - should stop it rattling off again.

Be careful with retorqueing the same bolt - torque wrenches only provide a repeatable result when you start from approx finger tight. If the bolt is already near target torque when you use the torque wrench, you will likely be over torquing your bolts (not by heaps, though). So suggest you release the bolt first and then retorque as needed. Obviously this will slowly wear your threads out, though..

P.s. I also have a gold star from MacDonalds (BEng) and used to be mechanical fitter. For my sins I have been working on an automated controlled torque solution for over 2 years in a pharmaceutical application so learned a bit about the science of applying torque... Only been working on my bikes for a few years though so total rookie there!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles