Any interest in another Rideout to Sherwood Pines, plus Vicar Water?

Beezerk

Mar 23, 2019
Gateshead
I'll have to drop out as well unfortunately, bit too close for me to arrange stuff with the family, it doesn't help I live in the north east and was planning to drive down for it ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have created a separate thread for the Rideout. Please go there.

For all those unable to attend on Sun 9th Aug, there will most probably be another one in Sep.

RsGaz

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
N. Lincolnshire
Following a query from another member, I thought I would test the water to see if there was much interest in another guided ride in the Sherwood Pines area. I say "area" because together with @Ontherail we have developed a great new off-piste ride. Ontherail lives very close to the boundary of Sherwood Pines and during lockdown rode 700 miles in the area and discovered all sorts of gems in and around the desert area and Vicar Water. The area is immediately adjacent to Pines. We included @myapes on one of the later test rides and he loved it. It was then that we decided we needed to shorten it overall. we probably need another test ride to confirm the route.

We reckon that if we start in the Vicar Water carpark, do what that area has to offer, then cross into Pines for some of what it has to offer and then return to Vicar Water we will have a varied and interesting total route, parts of which will challenge the best of us.

I haven't offered it as a guided ride yet, because I was waiting for the lockdown rules to ease a bit more. We could certainly ride around with six of us right now. But I have seen larger groups. They were all spread out though, acting like two groups of six that were actually one group of 12.

The bits that ontherail has discovered and linked together are loads of fun. There is one absolutely brilliant winding and swooping roller coaster through the woods that is 2/3 of a mile long. I defy anyone to finish it without a big grin. Then there is that long and winding singletrack climb across the gorse covered hillside, overlooking the old colliery winding gear. As for Pines, I will be including the much liked trenches area, the bike park and several other bits of off-piste singletrack to complete the route. Whether we include the 40' descent into the old track bed (via the two rock slabs) will depend up the trail conditions. The last time ontherail and I tried it, the bikes were sliding sideways down the hill and we both bottled it.

So if you have an interest in some socially distanced riding, put your name down here and I will get back to you later.
Hi Steve, do you have any dates in mind for doing another Pines/Vicar ride out, sounds like a laugh reading previous posts.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi Steve, do you have any dates in mind for doing another Pines/Vicar ride out, sounds like a laugh reading previous posts.
No date yet, not even a plan to have a date!
There has been a lot of forest clearance right across the main area that we would normally ride. They are still clearing and many trails I use are still blocked off. Consequently I am still trying to produce a reasonable route that has interest, distance and most importantly some features that will challenge all but the best of us. I have not had any contact with @Ontherail for a long time now. Much to do. Watch the Forum for new details.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@RsGaz @Ripping g @Ontherail

I have arranged to meet @myapes at 11:00 near the Sherwood Pines cafe veranda on Wed 7th Apr. The intention is to show him the Pines route I've got so far and to see what he thinks, check the distance etc. If anyone else wants to come along they are very welcome, but there may be several stoppages as we explore any options we see, remove fallen trees etc. I'll be pretty much making it up as I go along.
Let me know if you will deffo be coming along and I'll make sure to wait for you.

Ripping g

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 8, 2019
West yorkshire
@RsGaz @Ripping g @Ontherail

I have arranged to meet @myapes at 11:00 near the Sherwood Pines cafe veranda on Wed 7th Apr. The intention is to show him the Pines route I've got so far and to see what he thinks, check the distance etc. If anyone else wants to come along they are very welcome, but there may be several stoppages as we explore any options we see, remove fallen trees etc. I'll be pretty much making it up as I go along.
Let me know if you will deffo be coming along and I'll make sure to wait for you.
Can only do satdi or sundi ??‍♂️

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Can only do satdi or sundi ??‍♂️
Understood, most people work for a living, so my offer was a long shot as you have shown so much interest before. When I set up an organised Forum ride, it will be at a weekend (probably Sunday) and it will be well publicised. I hope you will be able to make it (whenever it is). The ride this Wed is more of an exploratory ride, although @Blokie may be joining us as he has a day off.

RsGaz

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
N. Lincolnshire
Understood, most people work for a living, so my offer was a long shot as you have shown so much interest before. When I set up an organised Forum ride, it will be at a weekend (probably Sunday) and it will be well publicised. I hope you will be able to make it (whenever it is). The ride this Wed is more of an exploratory ride, although @Blokie may be joining us as he has a day off.
Yes I’ll be working too, more notice anytime and I can rearrange my diary, always up for a ride, but weekends are no problem.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Hi Steve

I did an off-piste ride around the Pines with you a couple of years ago and quite fancy another look around the backwoods tomorrow if that's okay.
Hopefully see you in the morning but please don't wait for me as I am out on my push bike tonight and I won't know until the morning if my legs are still working.
I'll bring my pruning saw with me.

PR

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi Steve

I did an off-piste ride around the Pines with you a couple of years ago and quite fancy another look around the backwoods tomorrow if that's okay.
Hopefully see you in the morning but please don't wait for me as I am out on my push bike tonight and I won't know until the morning if my legs are still working.
I'll bring my pruning saw with me.

PR

You are more than welcome! There are already four of us meeting up: me, Myapes, Blokie and ontherail. See you at 11am by the cafe veranda overlooking the big grassy area.

As said before, not a full on guided ride, more testing out a route I've put together after the recent forest clearances (still ongoing too). I was going to cross the old rail track briefly to take a look at a descent over there, but as ontherail has been exploring the Vicar Water area recently, we may end up spending more time over there..

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
You are more than welcome! There are already four of us meeting up: me, Myapes, Blokie and ontherail. See you at 11am by the cafe veranda overlooking the big grassy area.

As said before, not a full on guided ride, more testing out a route I've put together after the recent forest clearances (still ongoing too). I was going to cross the old rail track briefly to take a look at a descent over there, but as ontherail has been exploring the Vicar Water area recently, we may end up spending more time over there..

Looking forward to it Steve.

PR

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Really enjoyed today's 'all welcome, exploratory ride-out' Steve. Perfect riding conditions. I just wish I could remember half the trails we did, or even just a quarter.

Bit of a bugger getting out of the car park though. The machines were only accepting cash (who uses that stuff anymore) so had to dash under the barrier, bumper to bumper with a cash rich customer. Eight quid better off for the experience though. :)

Chris

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Really enjoyed today's 'all welcome, exploratory ride-out' Steve. Perfect riding conditions. I just wish I could remember half the trails we did, or even just a quarter.

Bit of a bugger getting out of the car park though. The machines were only accepting cash (who uses that stuff anymore) so had to dash under the barrier, bumper to bumper with a cash rich customer. Eight quid better off for the experience though. :)

Chris
I agree, it was a wonderful day out, great weather, grippy trails and excellent company.
I may not be able to replicate what we did today either because I tend to make it up as I go along!
I have posted one pic in "Pic of the day".

Yep, I wondered why the queues were so large, thought one of the machines might be out. I am astonished at how calm and peaceful everybody was.

Hugo Last

Oct 19, 2019
Effingham
I agree, it was a wonderful day out, great weather, grippy trails and excellent company.
I may not be able to replicate what we did today either because I tend to make it up as I go along!
I have posted one pic in "Pic of the day".

Yep, I wondered why the queues were so large, thought one of the machines might be out. I am astonished at how calm and peaceful everybody was.
What are the trails like at Sherwood Pines at moment, I heard there were a lot of trees down / felling limiting the options ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What are the trails like at Sherwood Pines at moment, I heard there were a lot of trees down / felling limiting the options ?
I was there on Wed 7th Apr and had planned a route to take into account the tree felling activity. Access to the fishbowl area and the whole of the spine (that double ridge that runs for half a mile through the forest) was blocked and the access trails to them. In addition there are some detours off the red trail and a good section of the blue trail. But sorry I can't tell you where they are as I don't do all of the red or the blue. However, once on the ride we discovered that the blue trail from post 13 was no longer blocked, and since it gave access via other trails to the spine and the fishbowl, how could we resist? Much of the trail blockages to the spine had been cleared and we bumped into the head ranger who had cleared them that morning! He was on his way with a small team plus equipment (mini tractors and stuff) to clear some more, probably the fishbowl. By now he has probably cleared the lot, but I can't guarantee it of course. I'll be next going on Sunday for a look around.

The ground conditions were excellent. Mostly very grippy, in fact some parts could do with a bit of heavy mist overnight to damp down the dust. The brambles and nettles haven't started to put on a spurt yet, so the off-piste trails are clear.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Looking at going to Sherwood Pines again soon. What time are you there tomorrow @steve_sordy
9am if you are up for it.
Currently there is just me, but @paul-g private messaged me today asking the same question. Not heard back from him yet.

Nobody but me so far. My usual riding buddy has to work, another mate was keen but "feels like shit" after his Covid jab. The weather forecast is showers from 10am and light rain from 1pm for the rest of the day. Starting at 2-3degC, it won't get above 6degC the whole day.

By myself, I was only intending to go for a ride around to see how the rangers have got on with clearing the off-piste trails after the forest clearance, and where the detours were on the red and blue trails. But with company, now that's another deal!

I'll meet you at 9am because the weather gets steadily worse as the day progresses. Meet by the café veranda overlooking the big grassy area. What do you think, are you up for it? Let me know please.

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Hi @steve_sordy, was out with brother in law on local ride in the morning on the gravel bike so waiting to hear back from him. Unlikely I can get there then. I'm looking to go midweek soon when schools are back.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles