Any interest in another Rideout to Sherwood Pines, plus Vicar Water?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Following a query from another member, I thought I would test the water to see if there was much interest in another guided ride in the Sherwood Pines area. I say "area" because together with @Ontherail we have developed a great new off-piste ride. Ontherail lives very close to the boundary of Sherwood Pines and during lockdown rode 700 miles in the area and discovered all sorts of gems in and around the desert area and Vicar Water. The area is immediately adjacent to Pines. We included @myapes on one of the later test rides and he loved it. It was then that we decided we needed to shorten it overall. we probably need another test ride to confirm the route.

We reckon that if we start in the Vicar Water carpark, do what that area has to offer, then cross into Pines for some of what it has to offer and then return to Vicar Water we will have a varied and interesting total route, parts of which will challenge the best of us.

I haven't offered it as a guided ride yet, because I was waiting for the lockdown rules to ease a bit more. We could certainly ride around with six of us right now. But I have seen larger groups. They were all spread out though, acting like two groups of six that were actually one group of 12.

The bits that ontherail has discovered and linked together are loads of fun. There is one absolutely brilliant winding and swooping roller coaster through the woods that is 2/3 of a mile long. I defy anyone to finish it without a big grin. Then there is that long and winding singletrack climb across the gorse covered hillside, overlooking the old colliery winding gear. As for Pines, I will be including the much liked trenches area, the bike park and several other bits of off-piste singletrack to complete the route. Whether we include the 40' descent into the old track bed (via the two rock slabs) will depend up the trail conditions. The last time ontherail and I tried it, the bikes were sliding sideways down the hill and we both bottled it.

So if you have an interest in some socially distanced riding, put your name down here and I will get back to you later.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
I’m interested Steve, depending on dates etc, and that there is nothing too technically demanding for an old git on a hardtail.
your post seems to have been relegated to Rideouts without going into the main forum. Hopefully this will bump it back up

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I’m interested Steve, depending on dates etc, and that there is nothing too technically demanding for an old git on a hardtail.
your post seems to have been relegated to Rideouts without going into the main forum. Hopefully this will bump it back up
Nope I posted it in Rideouts, believing that this was where it belonged.

If you read the last two Sherwood Pines guided rides reports you will get an idea of what the Pines part of the route will be like. The bit outside Pines is a more demanding. Every feature has a way round if you don't like it. Actually, it's the features that I now think, or used to think, were a bit tricky. If I never thought it was tricky then you may not have an option. But hey, I'm 69 in 3 weeks, how hard can they be?

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
I was on the ride with you Oct 20 last year and ok with everything apart from the railway descent and the other steep bit where most riders came to grief. Oh, and the bit where that guy did the amazing recovery?.
what do you think the mileage will be, and do you do it on your normal battery without the TEC pack?

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 14, 2019
Norfolk
Date dependant for me, however it would be good to catch up with some old faces as well as some new ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
what do you think the mileage will be, and do you do it on your normal battery without the TEC pack?

I don't know yet. I have been taking my Tec pack to reduce range anxiety, but have hardly used it, and then only to get it down from 100% charge for storage. What I will do on the next ride is to take the TEC pack with its storage capacity of about 70% and try not to use it (and still have fun). I will report back and you can make a more informed choice as to whether you bring your Tec pack.

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
I don't know yet. I have been taking my Tec pack to reduce range anxiety, but have hardly used it, and then only to get it down from 100% charge for storage. What I will do on the next ride is to take the TEC pack with its storage capacity of about 70% and try not to use it (and still have fun). I will report back and you can make a more informed choice as to whether you bring your Tec pack.
I haven’t got a TEC pack, but only a 400 battery. I reckoned that if you got round without the pack, then I would just about make it as well.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Have you got a date yet I'm interested ?
I was just thinking about that today. Setting a date is not in my gift alone. The first part of the ride will need @Ontherail as he is the only one of us that knows that part of the route. He may have made improvements since I last rode with him (as I have to my bit). I'll contact him and get back here when I have a date. The date could be several weeks away.

It now looks like 8 in total, the original 3 (me, @Ontherail, @myapes), plus the following 5.
@Beezerk
@billwarwick
@j_s
@118
@markfitton

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It now looks like 14 in total, maybe as many as 17! I have been this way before and 17 is too large. I have done this loads of times and I can tell you that trying to organise and keep track of mountain bikers is like herding cats! What we will be doing is almost completely off-piste; there is no trail map and the signal in the area varies from poor to zero. Without a smaller number, some of you will get lost. On the first emtb ride I did, despite clear requests to all riders to "look out for the rider behind you", we lost half the group within the first half mile and it took 25 mins before we were re-united.

Ontherail is now back at full time work, pus the holiday season is upon us, so opportunities are limited to complete the trail development work. It is looking like a date in September, probably a Sunday.

@steve_sordy
@Ontherail +2
@myapes
@Beezerk
@billwarwick
@j_s
@118
@markfitton
@Toecutter +1, maybe another 3
@Ripping g
@Rail5

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Anyone around on Sunday at the Pines?
OntheRail, MyApes and me will be agreeing the final route for the forthcoming Forum ride. So if you see three guys on emtbs, me on a blue Focus and with a bright orange jacket, then say "hello" and utter the passphrase "Pines Forum Ride". But you are unlikely to see us if you stay on the main trails.

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Ok cheers guys. I'm starting off from home which is 16 odd miles away so got to be careful with battery management once I get there, I may just cycle to the Pines briefly and then to Vicar Water and then back

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@bikerkev Thanks for letting me know of your interest, that puts us in the 15-18 range of attendees.

I can guarantee that not everyone will turn up. Waking up with a hangover does for some. Rain beating against the window when they wake up also puts people off, despite there being no rain where the ride is taking place. But some riders bring an extra mate, or two.

I can't control who turns up. Whatever numbers we get, I will do my best to make it work. I may have to be a bit bossy, but it is to make sure that nobody gets lost, so all please bear with me! I will allocate tasks to some, like headcounts for ex. When I am leading a group, my head is full of where the hell are we, where are we going next, what time is it, should I change the route, should I spend more time here for sessioning or move the group on, should I pause at this point and warn of what lies ahead or just steam on and hope for the best? Stuff like that. If I can delegate keeping track of numbers, or asking someone to wait at a key turn to make certain that everybody sees it instead of taking the "obvious" route and getting lost, it take the load off considerably.
Except when we use recognised trails to move around the forest, there are no sign posts. There is no route map, phone signal is poor at best.

OntheRail is leading the Vicar Water section, me the Pines section.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Today we finalised the test ride and have a few learning points.

I got to the Vicar water carpark at 09:50 and I got the last car park slot. The kids are out of school now, so to ensure a car park space for everyone, we need to meet at 09:00, ready to ride. Too early for comfort for me, but hey ho, life is hard. :) The car park machine was covered over, and it probably will be in two weeks time, but bring change in case it isn't!

We decided to meet two weeks today, Sunday 9th August at 09:00, ready to ride at the Vicar Water Country Park. @Ontherail tells me that NG21 9RT will get you close enough to spot the sign on the main road. If you can see the two colliery lift workings, then you are very close. Aim for this place "vicar water country park cafe". Google it.

Allow for 18 miles plus sessioning, and also for it to take about 3.5 hours. (It's the chat and the pi$$-taking that takes the time).

Those who have been before on the two Pines rides I have done may be disappointed to know that we will not be doing that big descent down the sandy slope, from the edge of the desert. We just don't have time to fit it in! This is an exciting ride and with an interesting variety of trails. On balance I believe it is harder technically than the rides we did before. There were two voluntary bits that neither @myapes nor me fancied having a go at. Maybe having multiple stretcher bearers on the day will boost our confidence! On the gorse covered hillside, I hit a small low bridge that was hidden by the gorse and ended up in it, head lower than my feet. When I tried to get up, everywhere I pushed hurt. I was still pulling gorse needles from my right side and arm in the shower this afternoon.

Be warned, there are two sections where we ride a footpath. If you object to riding a footpath then either push the bike or don't come! @Ontherail says that he has never met any walkers on either of them. They are both steep and winding, with a style at the top and bottom of the climb and at the top of the descent. They are not avoidable, but both are walkable (obvs, it's a footpath!). To avoid a total and comical clusterf#ck at the styles we need to be organised, especially if all 18 attendees turn up! :ROFLMAO: We have a cunning plan!

See you all there!

@billwarwick The route is doable on a Focus with a 378Whr battery, but only just. If you are lighter than 14.5 stone all up, you should make it round.
Edit: add in the 2.2kg TEC pack I was carrying, so make that 14st 12lbs / 94.3kg, my bike weighs 20.4kg without TEC pack.
I was nursing back pain, so I used Trail a bit more than usual. The final mile is downhill and then on the flat, so even if you run out you should be OK. The trail was just under 18 miles by my bike, @Ontherail 's Garmin made it about half a mile less. I was in the red at 17.6m and I changed to the TEC pack with one mile left on the frame battery.

markfitton

Jul 6, 2020
uk
Today we finalised the test ride and have a few learning points.

I got to the Vicar water carpark at 09:50 and I got the last car park slot. The kids are out of school now, so to ensure a car park space for everyone, we need to meet at 09:00, ready to ride. Too early for comfort for me, but hey ho, life is hard. :) The car park machine was covered over, and it probably will be in two weeks time, but bring change in case it isn't!

We decided to meet two weeks today, Sunday 9th August at 09:00, ready to ride at the Vicar Water Country Park. @Ontherail tells me that NG21 9RT will get you close enough to spot the sign on the main road. If you can see the two colliery lift workings, then you are very close. Aim for this place "vicar water country park cafe". Google it.

Allow for 18 miles plus sessioning, and also for it to take about 3.5 hours. (It's the chat and the pi$$-taking that takes the time).

Those who have been before on the two Pines rides I have done may be disappointed to know that we will not be doing that big descent down the sandy slope, from the edge of the desert. We just don't have time to fit it in! This is an exciting ride and with an interesting variety of trails. On balance I believe it is harder technically than the rides we did before. There were two voluntary bits that neither @myapes nor me fancied having a go at. Maybe having multiple stretcher bearers on the day will boost our confidence! On the gorse covered hillside, I hit a small low bridge that was hidden by the gorse and ended up in it, head lower than my feet. When I tried to get up, everywhere I pushed hurt. I was still pulling gorse needles from my right side and arm in the shower this afternoon.

Be warned, there are two sections where we ride a footpath. If you object to riding a footpath then either push the bike or don't come! @Ontherail says that he has never met any walkers on either of them. They are both steep and winding, with a style at the top and bottom of the climb and at the top of the descent. They are not avoidable, but both are walkable (obvs, it's a footpath!). To avoid a total and comical clusterf#ck at the styles we need to be organised, especially if all 18 attendees turn up! :ROFLMAO: We have a cunning plan!

See you all there!

@billwarwick The route is doable on a Focus with a 378Whr battery, but only just. If you are lighter than 14.5 stone all up, you should make it round.
Edit: add in the 2.2kg TEC pack I was carrying, so make that 14st 12lbs / 94.3kg, my bike weighs 20.4kg without TEC pack.
I was nursing back pain, so I used Trail a bit more than usual. The final mile is downhill and then on the flat, so even if you run out you should be OK. The trail was just under 18 miles by my bike, @Ontherail 's Garmin made it about half a mile less. I was in the red at 17.6m and I changed to the TEC pack with one mile left on the frame battery.
Baring anything serious happening, I will be at the car park , ready at 0900. I will maybe stay in the van overnight..... thanks guys

j_s

Feb 4, 2020
Nottingham
Typical, my son's 1st birthday is that week and we haven't seen family since March so I might not be able to make it

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles