Any chance a coil shock will work?

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Love to fit a coil shock on the Base Decoy, but concerned that the frame kinematics designed around a progressive air shock probably won't work with a linear coil shock? The deluxe shock works "ok", and is only a cheap part so wouldn't pain me to change it out, but coming from a DH bike, miss the coil feel.
Maybe I'll wait till some other guinea pig does it!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Someone has already done it, I think its in the main YT thread. If going down that route worth speaking to the like of TF Tuned or similar who can tune the shock for the bike.

Also someone over on mtbr has also done it

New YT Decoy- Mtbr.com

Screenshot 2019-07-27 at 19.34.46.png

brash

Jul 19, 2019
Aus
The resurgence in coils on trail bikes has meant some developments have been made to suit linear kinematic designs.

Best I’ve ridden is the EXT storia with hydraulic bottom out. They are a work of art, with a price to match!

MRP and race only springs have bought out progressively wound springs now. I run one on my stumpjumper Evo which is a relatively linear design and combined with a little added high speed compression makes a great option.

It’s interesting because yt have always had super progressive rear ends, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it worked well with a coil.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Looking at the Tues range, they're fitted with both coil and air shocks, don't know if that works with the Decoy kinematics though......
Only one way to find out!

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Spoke to Tftuned and they reckon no issues with a coil, may spring (!) for a Marzocchi Bomber as he really rated them, hope the 450lb spring recommended works for me......

TheLexus

Sep 22, 2018
Germany/Saxony
Tried to ask YT? They should know if there kinematic is progressive enough. I would guess it is no problem but maybe you need to find the right coil.

Mauko

Jul 16, 2019
Finland
Tried to ask YT? They should know if there kinematic is progressive enough. I would guess it is no problem but maybe you need to find the right coil.

Not that relevant for me as the bike is arriving late Oct for me. Did post a request on the Öhlins site to include also Decoy.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Email just sent, waiting.......................

Hello Ken,

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to change this part on the DECOY, because an E-Bike has strict restrictions (legally) regarding the used parts and the shock components.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Finally bit the bullet and ordered a Marzocchi Bomber from TFTuned, first ride on it today and a MASSIVE difference on the feel from the rear!
The most noticeable is on stony paths where the chatter just isn't felt at all through the saddle, the rear wheel must really be following the shape of the trail now.
On the up, I guess it must be better, but difficult to quantify.....
On the down, again, far less chatter from the rear and not even close to bottoming out, so my thoughts that the Decoy's suspension is reasonably progressive like the rest of the range have been born out.
FYI, I'm 75kg ready to ride, the spring is a Fox 400lb, giving 30% sag.
Coupled with the 170mm airshaft in the Yari, no tokens and a lower leg service, I'm over the moon now with the way the bike rides (y)
25E7621D-B6D9-47B1-A40E-51C9E59D9BA4.jpeg

Last edited:

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
Nice, I've been thinking on this as well, with a motor why not, won't hurt climbing that much! Any bike with a coil shock will outperform an air shock going down for sure.

Can you share the specs on the shock? Eye to eye length? Do you know the dims of the hardware (mounting) if different from air shock?

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
It's standard size for the Decoy, 230x65, the mounting hardware is 8x20 top, 8x40 bottom, torque on the bolts is 10-12nm.
2 minute job to change, be careful you don't drop the shock on the frame as you remove it!
I actually was reasonably happy with the DeluxeR shock which came with the bike, not much in the way of adjustment, but ok, wasn't expecting so much more smoothness with the coil shock though!!!

Ymersmoelf

Oct 19, 2019
Denmark
Finally bit the bullet and ordered a Marzocchi Bomber from TFTuned, first ride on it today and a MASSIVE difference on the feel from the rear!
The most noticeable is on stony paths where the chatter just isn't felt at all through the saddle, the rear wheel must really be following the shape of the trail now.
On the up, I guess it must be better, but difficult to quantify.....
On the down, again, far less chatter from the rear and not even close to bottoming out, so my thoughts that the Decoy's suspension is reasonably progressive like the rest of the range have been born out.
FYI, I'm 75kg ready to ride, the spring is a Fox 400lb, giving 30% sag.
Coupled with the 170mm airshaft, no tokens and a lower leg service, I'm over the moon now with the way the bike rides (y) View attachment 20984
Thanks for the feedback!

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
It's standard size for the Decoy, 230x65, the mounting hardware is 8x20 top, 8x40 bottom, torque on the bolts is 10-12nm.
2 minute job to change, be careful you don't drop the shock on the frame as you remove it!
I actually was reasonably happy with the DeluxeR shock which came with the bike, not much in the way of adjustment, but ok, wasn't expecting so much more smoothness with the coil shock though!!!

Thanks! How's it been treating you for climbing?

Sorinok

May 24, 2019
Romania
@Mongrel

I managed to make some good trails with the new RS Super Deluxe shock, Decoy is now another bike. It supports much higher bumps, more support on the middle of the suspension, more plush.
I have the opportunity to ride Decoy with Marzocchi shock coil and it is wow. .... wow because you don't hit the foot pedals on the technical climbs, but here is the hump with a stronger bow .... my friend initially took 400lbs (75gk) and the suspension was too soft, then he switched to 450lbs coil and everything is perfect.
If I go to the coil? ...... yes tomorrow!

akuria

Patreon
Jan 30, 2020
san francisco
Hello Ken,

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to change this part on the DECOY, because an E-Bike has strict restrictions (legally) regarding the used parts and the shock components.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

That's funny cause I have called and talked to several guys at YT here in the states and they've all encouraged a coil swap. Said they all run coils on their Decoys with 180mm forks. So that is what I run. I run a Fox DHX2 with a Cane Creek Valt progressive spring in the back and a 180mm RS Lyrik with a Vorsprung coil kit in the fork as well. It loves the trails with this setup.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles