Any availablity of SC-EM800 in the USA?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
I gave up on trying to get the Orbea Rise add-in for Garmin to work and am looking to obtain an SC-EM800.

Does anyone know of a good source in the USA? Google came up with nothing.

Thanks!

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
I gave up on trying to get the Orbea Rise add-in for Garmin to work and am looking to obtain an SC-EM800.

Thanks!
it actually doesn't fit without extension cables the inputs are different sizes

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA

Thanks!
The answer to this is the following...
1. open garmin connect
2. go to "Activities apps and more"...this in the device screen that you access by tapping your device icon at the top of the screen
3. Once open you will see Data fields...click on that
4. If you have already installed the Rise Toolbox you will see it there if not tap on "get more data fields" at the bottom of the page this will take you to the store to download the Orbea Rise toolbox...Install it and sync
5. This is the key...go back to the connect app...go back to activities & applications...go into "data fields" and you will see the orbea rise tool box installed...click on it and you will see "settings"...before you go anywhere else go to the bottom of the page and click on "view in store" this will take you to the download and UNLOCK page...from there you unlock...sync everything and you should be good to go
6. Lastly go to your device, in my case a Fenix 6...go into MTB Settings...Custom Data...choose a single layout...choose field one...choose connect IQ fields...choose orbea rs...then back out and you will see it searching for your bike

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
it actually doesn't fit without extension cables the inputs are different sizes

I don’t think that’s the case, but I could be wrong. I thought the Orbea Rise uses the new 300 cables, which the SC-EM800 supports. The SC-MT800 (confusing but similar product number) uses the old style connectors.

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
I don’t think that’s the case, but I could be wrong. I thought the Orbea Rise uses the new 300 cables, which the SC-EM800 supports. The SC-MT800 (confusing but similar product number) uses the old style connectors.
i am trying to help you...i already purchased one so I know first hand...dont ask a question and then dispute the answer...the connectors are different sizes but go ahead and find out for yourself...

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
i am trying to help you...i already purchased one so I know first hand...dont ask a question and then dispute the answer...the connectors are different sizes but go ahead and find out for yourself...

got it. Thanks.

Cbmojo

May 20, 2020
USA
see port sizes!!!!

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
The garmin works well...just follow the instructions above

I got the Garmin with the Orbea data field to work but it doesn’t recognize the unit settings (miles vs km) and always displays km for range and speed. Orbea support never responded. Thus the search for an alternative. Thanks for the info!

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA

In fact, after 5 mins googling, I see the Rise must already have one of these adapters as the EP8 motor has SD300 ports, whereas the EW-EN100 uses SD50. The port format has nothing to do with compatibility.

EDIT: the adapter is in the head tube:

1616305364178.png

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA

Looks like the SC-E7000 is compatible as well for a slightly cheaper and easier to find option.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Looks like the SC-E7000 is compatible as well for a slightly cheaper and easier to find option.
I ended up finding an SC-EM800 on eBay, shipped from Italy. As you point out, Orbea chose to hide a 300 to 50 adapter inside the bike (bad idea) and use the old mode switch. Yet on some bikes they ran a full length SD300 cable. I ended up (for now) adding yet another adapter and a 6” SD300 cable, along with the new mode switch.

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
Which one of these units can I plug the existing cable ends, that already attach to the dongle that came with the Orbea Rise, EM800, or MT800 display? I wish that someone would make an app, so E-TUBE Ride would work with an Apple Watch. All I want is to know the battery status, at a glance.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Which one of these units can I plug the existing cable ends, that already attach to the dongle that came with the Orbea Rise, EM800, or MT800 display? I wish that someone would make an app, so E-TUBE Ride would work with an Apple Watch. All I want is to know the battery status, at a glance.
@vadII created an app called STunlocker Ride that supports the Apple Watch.

‎STUnlocker Ride on the App Store (apple.com)

In terms of what your "pluggable options" are, that is totally dependent on what came with your bike. Some came with older SD50 cables, some with the newer SD300 cables.

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
@vadII created an app called STunlocker Ride that supports the Apple Watch.

‎STUnlocker Ride on the App Store (apple.com)

In terms of what your "pluggable options" are, that is totally dependent on what came with your bike. Some came with older SD50 cables, some with the newer SD300 cables.
What is the easiest way to tell the difference between the two? I just got the bike and I know the bike had just arrived at the place I purchased from, so I would assume it’s the newer ones. I just want something that is easy and plug and play, so to speak. Thanks for the info, RickBullotta!

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
What is the easiest way to tell the difference between the two? I just got the bike and I know the bike had just arrived at the place I purchased from, so I would assume it’s the newer ones. I just want something that is easy and plug and play, so to speak. Thanks for the info, RickBullotta!

If it is the small black rectangle with no display, only a couple of LEDs, you can just plug in an SC-E7000 (your bike came with SD50 cables). Or you can get an adapter and a short SD300 cable and plug in an EM800, but you'll also need to change the mode switch to one that is compatible with SD300 (or get yet another SD50 <-> SD300 adapter + short cable). It's kind of a mess, and it's Orbea's fault. It's actually SD300 from the motor, but for some bizarre reason on the "minimalist display" bikes they put a too short SD300 cable and an adapter/SD50 cable hidden in the headset/frame, which means that to go "pure SD300" you'd need yet another adapter & cable or you'll need to pull a new SD300 cable from the motor (which involves removing the motor and likely the battery and fork, and likely a whole lot of frustration).

Last edited:

jcismo1

Jul 22, 2021
Colorado
If it is the small black rectangle with no display, only a couple of LEDs, you can just plug in an SC-E7000 or SC-MT800 (your bike came with SD50 cables). Or you can get an adapter and a short SD300 cable and plug in an EM800, but you'll also need to change the mode switch to one that is compatible with SD300 (or get yet another SD50 <-> SD300 adapter + short cable). It's kind of a mess, and it's Orbea's fault. It's actually SD300 from the motor, but for some bizarre reason on the "minimalist display" bikes they put a too short SD300 cable and an adapter/SD50 cable hidden in the headset/frame, which means that to go "pure SD300" you'd need yet another adapter & cable or you'll need to pull a new SD300 cable from the motor (which involves removing the motor and likely the battery and fork, and likely a whole lot of frustration).
4066AAFA-1DFB-4540-B932-47C043C7DE10.jpeg

This is what it came with. So I should get the MT800?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
View attachment 67599
This is what it came with. So I should get the MT800?

I think the MT800 is for DI2 only, and won't provide the info you want on assist levels and such, and may not have the necessary Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity to enable updates to your components. The SC-E7000 would be a better option I think.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
If it is the small black rectangle with no display, only a couple of LEDs, you can just plug in an SC-E7000 (your bike came with SD50 cables). Or you can get an adapter and a short SD300 cable and plug in an EM800, but you'll also need to change the mode switch to one that is compatible with SD300 (or get yet another SD50 <-> SD300 adapter + short cable). It's kind of a mess, and it's Orbea's fault. It's actually SD300 from the motor, but for some bizarre reason on the "minimalist display" bikes they put a too short SD300 cable and an adapter/SD50 cable hidden in the headset/frame, which means that to go "pure SD300" you'd need yet another adapter & cable or you'll need to pull a new SD300 cable from the motor (which involves removing the motor and likely the battery and fork, and likely a whole lot of frustration).

FYI, the SD300 cable isn't too short. Multiple people have posted that you can pull it out to reach a display no problem.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
For sure. I pulled my motor and could see the cable was doing loop-de-loops :)

Good to know! I'm goin' in! Ha ha. Actually, I just had the motor out to replace the dropper housing so it wasn't that big of a deal. As long as I don't need to remove the battery I should be good to go. Will be interesting to see how much of a pain in the ass it will be to get the SD300 cable to feed out of the cable port though. I suspect much cursing.

NLTCrow

Jun 21, 2021
NLT
I know absolutely nothing about Garmins. Will any of 'em work to interface with the Shimano system on my Orbea Rise? Is there some specific feature I need to make sure it has? Older units still compatible or does it need to be brand spankin' new?
Thanks

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I know absolutely nothing about Garmins. Will any of 'em work to interface with the Shimano system on my Orbea Rise? Is there some specific feature I need to make sure it has? Older units still compatible or does it need to be brand spankin' new?
Thanks

IMO not worth it. Drop $100 on a Shimano display. I tried a garmin fenix and an 830. Both sucked.

NLTCrow

Jun 21, 2021
NLT
What information would you want to display @NLTCrow ?

I want to be able to see & monitor my remaining battery and to be able to access & tweak the power settings.
I naively figured Orbea would just include those functions in a $10K bike but now I know better.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I want to be able to see & monitor my remaining battery and to be able to access & tweak the power settings.
I naively figured Orbea would just include those functions in a $10K bike but now I know better.
You can do that. With your phone

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles