• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Anti-theft GPS

DisasterHamster

Aug 6, 2019
Finland
Hi all,
I'm thinking of maybe putting a GPS system into my new bike, since my last bike got stolen. Has anybody got any experieces with these?

What I'm looking for in a GPS system is ease of use, long battery life and something that's not visible. I know there's a bunch of different options available, but there's so many different types and the subscriptions also vary.
At the moment a device hidden inside the handlebar seems like the best choice.

Also, I'm wondering if it's actually useful in case my bike gets stolen. Even if I knew where it was, I don't know if I want to go and get my ass beaten by some wannabe gansta stealing bikes. The police take so long to process stuff that the bike is going to be in another country by the time they react.
I know the insurance company doesn't care if I have GPS or not, even if it's kind of to their advantage.

Is anybody else struggling with this? :unsure:

DisasterHamster

Aug 6, 2019
Finland
I really like the idea of covering my bike with a GPS tracker but decided I'm not going to get one..
Bike crimes are a real problem here and I usually bring my bike inside with me everywhere I go, but where I work I don't have that possibility. I also don't have the possibility of carrying my phone with me and even if I did, I wouldn't be able to look at it everytime I get a notification. So even If I had the tracker, It would probably be too late.

I talked with the local police about bikes getting stolen and they said that the most expensive bikes are usually out of the country by the same day they get stolen.

I ended up apming up my insurance as that's the only (and the cheapest) option that actually covers my bike in full whatever happens. I don't want to sound careless about my bike and just leave it for the insurance company, but I feel like I don't have much options left.

Thank you for your answers though! I hope this helps someone else?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles