Another tyre thread

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
Hi all want your opinion my trance 3 came with dhf 2.6 front and rekon 2.6 rear while there OK there just dual comp so I'm thinking dhf to rear to give me some climbing and braking grip then buy a dhf 3c max terra for front or what are the rest of u using I'm interested in trying vittoria but the maxxis is cheap opinions?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That would certainly be a big improvement.

I had Maxxis Rekon 29x2.6 front and rear, 3C front, 1C rear.

I changed to 29x2.5 Maxxis High Roller II 3C WT Maxx Terra EXO TR front and rear, both set up tubeless. I would have gone for 2C rear but I couldn't find any.

The cornering grip is absolutely great and I get substantially reduced spin out at the rear.

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
By trail and error I learned the EXO+ casing adds al lot of cornering stability on the heavier e-bike. On my acoustic Scott Spark RC i can run the lightweight stuff with no issues.

Stretch40

Jun 26, 2019
Durham
I've looked at them cos I've had wild Rock and wild enduro before loved them but they look very aggressive side blocks not sure how they will be on hard pack stuff where we ride?

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Michelin E-Wild 2.6" tubeless front and rear.

Tell us more , I fancy them after I’ve worn out the oem’s

I ride mostly cross country trails and bridleways rather than full-on downhill or enduro.

The tyres have a big chunky blocky tread so they grip very well in mud and loam, I’ve ridden through some pretty deep muddy sumps on trails and they cut through and find grip at the bottom to claw the bike out again. The compound is soft enough to grip in the dry but works well in the wet and seems to be wearing well.

Good on climbs over roots etc with no wheel spin noticed. Not ridden on wet chalky trails yet. Fine on dry loose dirt, grass, rocks and tarmac-metalled roads although to be fair a little finesse is needed when cranked over as the tread side blocks are big as suggested above, best to feel your way into a big lean not just throw it in and hope for the best. That’s true of any chunky tyre.

When these tyres eventually need replacing it will most likely be with another pair of E-Wilds, I like them.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
This is the stuff were riding in, and as my OEM Rekon gets used up, I'm struggling to get traction when climbing.

The e-wild looks great, and I know the Forekaster works well on this stuff too. Id like to try a highroller II as well. Lots of choices for sure.

With the wet season coming on, is a narrower tire going to cut through slop better than a + size? I'm settled on something between 2.5 and 2.8 but need help deciding!
6881.jpg

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Photos can be deceptive I know, but at first glance I believe my Giant Trance E+2 shod with 27.5x2.6 Michelin E-Wild would cruise up that no problem.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Yes pictures never show accurately how steep it is. This one is hard to walk without falling down, hence my wife using a make shift walking stick. But the terrain is shown accurately.... loose, with inches of rubble and hard clay and sedimentary stone underneath.

This is a first gear and second gear... max boost (level 5) climb for me.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
One bit of data I can possibly offer is BOTH felt skittish with my normal tyre pressures, I had to drop them quite a bit.

I am going to assume this is due to the noticeably stiffer sidewalls compared to my old Maxxis.

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
I'm going Maxxis Minion DHR II 27,5x2,8 front and back. What's good for z Greg Minnaar is good for me. 2,6 is also good, I just want a better ride over roots and sand. The a giant had no issues with climbing on any tyre but the Rekons don't last and have no grip on the really tough stuff. I'm a Maxxis fan and don't trust moet other brand because I see too many failures and pinch flats running brand new tyres.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I just put Assegai on the speedfox front and rear, and I can say without doubt it's on completely different level when compared to the recon, minion (oem on trance) or the forekaster (OEM on speedfox). Its almost hard to believe on hardpack and at least 1.5 as good again on loose over hard. My Trance has 100's of miles so it's not a completely fair comp, but the forkasters had only 200 easy miles.

The forekaster is a decent rear tire, but on loose dry or hard dry, I found it almost frightening how crummy it was on front.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Looking to change for the winter months now. Taking the Rekons off.

I like Mich E-Wild

But also like Max Minion DHR.

But, I need advice , after 27.5 / 2.6 ( the size I want) I get lost.

When I’m looking on - line there are so many other options - EXO 2C 3C. Snake skin ........

None of which I understand, any pointers ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Looking to change for the winter months now. Taking the Rekons off.

I like Mich E-Wild

But also like Max Minion DHR.

But, I need advice , after 27.5 / 2.6 ( the size I want) I get lost.

When I’m looking on - line there are so many other options - EXO 2C 3C. Snake skin ........

None of which I understand, any pointers ?

Give this a read. It helped me.

https://m.vitalmtb.com/features/Tested-Maxxis-EXO-Casing-Tires-Minion-DHF-and-DHRII,2726

Just got back from lunch time ride. I cant stress enough how much grip the assegai has.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
That’s useful , but what about TR - 3C - folding - WideTrail

It’s never ending ?
I'm with you bro! My motocross bike had lots of tire choices, but not 4 or 5 options within each model. I'm finding out bicycles are a feature rich environment and my ignorance is a far deeper well than my financing.

MitchF

E*POWAH Elite
Jun 1, 2019
Mirokumk38
Decided on Maxxi Minion DHF up front and a Mich E-Wild on the back.

I’ll get them on , get them dirty and let you know how they pair up ?

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Got $100 Amazon gift card from work for logging my food in the fitbit app (dont ask me...I just take the money), so I ordered another ass-e-guy for the front of the trance. My LBS had a brand new take off 2.8 rekon exo for $15 in the tire bin so I grabbed it. Looks like I'll be super grippy up front, and skating in the back.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles