Another suspension question...

jonnie brads

Jan 29, 2019
Wakefield
Evening guys hope your all well ?
Question one is I have a 140mm rockshox delux r rear shock on my jam2. Well I'm thinking of upgrading it to something with more adjustment and with a firm setting. I ride a very mixed bag of riding, trails to bike parks and a bit of dh and before you say it bike parks and dh with 140mm I know ? the bike handles it really well but I want a better rear shock as I keep blowing the o ring off the bottom and I don't have an option to firm it up on the fly I have to put more air in the shock I have at the moment. What are my options guys what do you think I should do (no new bike answers please ?) or swap for a sam2. I do fancy a yt decoy but the funds don't support it at the moment nor the need yet when I love the jam2. Or by the way my forks are 150mm.
Question2, the rear fold did they change it as it is now 150mm and mines 140mm thanks in advance guys and sorry if I have been a noob

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have the 150mm travel version of the bike and shock that you have and my shock also gets near to blowing the "O" ring off. Before you go spending loads of money on a new shock try adding some spacers to the shock, they call them "rings" (it's "tokens" for the fork). I have done this before on a Rockshox shock and it made a massive difference. I've also done similar to a Fox shock, but that was big 0.2 cubic inch block of plastic, not elegant rings like Rockshox use). In both cases the difference was amazing.

I'm bringing myself to the point where I'll be doing it to my bike before too long.

jonnie brads

Jan 29, 2019
Wakefield
I have the 150mm travel version of the bike and shock that you have and my shock also gets near to blowing the "O" ring off. Before you go spending loads of money on a new shock try adding some spacers to the shock, they call them "rings" (it's "tokens" for the fork). I have done this before on a Rockshox shock and it made a massive difference. I've also done similar to a Fox shock, but that was big 0.2 cubic inch block of plastic, not elegant rings like Rockshox use). In both cases the difference was amazing.

I'm bringing myself to the point where I'll be doing it to my bike before too long.
Cheers mate ? Yes I have 2 in already and made a huge difference i have one left I may have to put that in. I just like it to be plush for the dh bits as not getting bounced around as much as for messing on jumps I would like a firm setting maybe.
What's the difference then between out bikes the complete frame ? Can I convert mine to 150 ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What's the difference then between our bikes, the complete frame ? Can I convert mine to 150 ?

I don't know is the short answer. I know that the fork is an easy one to do without changing the frame but it will alter the geometry slightly. The shock is another matter because it depends upon the clearance between the rear triangle and the rest of the frame. Any Focus dealer should (or is that "may"?) be able to tell you.

Of course there may be no difference at all, the move from 140 to 150 travel being a carefully planned marketing exercise to persuade you to buy the new bike! :unsure:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles