Another Mullet project...

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Thought I'd try the mullet thing to get the front rolling better through dips and roots.
Managed to pick up a new take off set of 29" Lyrik rc's for a great price so thrrw them on while waiting for the wheel I bought to arrive, popped my 27.5 back in to test the forks out today, had the Fox 36 performance on the e+1, also had recently picked up a new take off Fox Factory Dpx2 185x55 as well which is super plush ?
Wow is what I'll say about the Lyriks, I thought the Fox's were pretty good but these Lyrik's are quite alot nicer, super plush with great support and supple...even if the 29er front doesn't work out I won't be putting the Fox back up front!
The plan is to go back to my stock bars for the 29er as I'm running the 40mm Fatbar so the bar height will stay the same but I'll have Reign geo up front for bombing downhill...so cool when a plan comes together and actually makes something better haha...

Last edited:

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Not sure what happened with pics lol...
My new wheel turned up the other day after I'd just been for a ride and destroyed my 2nd rear hub ?
Had a spare cheap rear wheel so swapped tyre etc over then fitted front wheel and tested in driveway with the still fitted 40mm Fatbars....it felt really lazy just doing circles on concrete so did what I'd planned on and swapped stock bars back on.....much better feeling and ride position feels pretty normal.
Measuring vertically from floor to top of stem its gained 20mm and floor to crank bolt 15mm, end of bars is the same as with Fatbars was before.
Was all set to rip it the next day and worry about getting a better rear wheel when we got told NZ is on full lockdown the following day.......so I can't ride any trails and I can't source a new hub or wheel for at least 4 weeks......:cry:

20200320_172708.jpg

20200320_173728.jpg

20200324_171515.jpg

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Be interested to see what you think now you have had a chance to ride it after lock down. Went down the mullet road myself on my 2019 Merida as it had the 27.5/29 Fox forks on it, can't say I really gelled with it as it seem to push on in the tight corners.
Maybe I should have persevered with it as a mate the 2020 Merida which comes mulleted already. He said he struggled with it at first and was looking for 27.5 wheel, he eventually modified his riding style to be more over the bars in the corners and now loves it.
Might have to give mine another go, hence my interest in how you find your new set up.
Also my 'Better halfs' bike has the rockshox lyrics on them as apposed to my fox 36 factory forks. What in particular do you find better with the Rockshox, maybe I should swap them around.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Be interested to see what you think now you have had a chance to ride it after lock down. Went down the mullet road myself on my 2019 Merida as it had the 27.5/29 Fox forks on it, can't say I really gelled with it as it seem to push on in the tight corners.
Maybe I should have persevered with it as a mate the 2020 Merida which comes mulleted already. He said he struggled with it at first and was looking for 27.5 wheel, he eventually modified his riding style to be more over the bars in the corners and now loves it.
Might have to give mine another go, hence my interest in how you find your new set up.
Also my 'Better halfs' bike has the rockshox lyrics on them as apposed to my fox 36 factory forks. What in particular do you find better with the Rockshox, maybe I should swap them around.
I tried it and it was better and worse, stability up front was great but I felt it was not as nimble, had a few good rides with mullet setup and yeah it needed a bit more muscling around. Have gone back to 27.5 but kept Lyrik in and really like it, noticed it getting playful again.
The 2020 Lyrik seems to have a plusher feel overall, def a decent improvement in small chatter absorption over the Fox 36 performance in my opinion.
But thats all moot now I've just brought a Trek Rail 9 haha, playful 29er with bigger battery ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles