Another Fork / Suspension Question

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
Morning All,

I am posting this in the Specialized section simply because I have a 2019 Levo. I am currently 15 stone 7 (ish), this would seem to result in me running the fork at near on max pressure which I don't think gives me the best feeling on the trail. I have used the sag meter that comes with the bike but I have to be honest I am not sure if this is supposed to be used on the fork or shock or even both. Either way it seems to result in a very low sag. I have checked both Fox's website for the 34 Rhythm and Sepc's website and both give different suggestions for fork pressure (I appreciate it is a guideline and not definitive).

I had considered upgrading the fork but to be honest cost is definitely an issue, the DT Swiss that @Rob Hancill reviewed looks pretty damn good but currently is out of the question. So a couple of questions:

1. What pressure / sag are you running or would you suggest?
2. Would tokens help and if so which ones do I need for the 34 Rhythm?
3. Would the MRP Ramp Control help or has anyone any experience of this?

Alternatively maybe a group buy on the DTSwiss would be the answer :).
In terms of the type of riding I am doing I am not doing anything more adventurous than Swinley (full purple).

Thanks in advance

Jon

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
1. 15.5st isn't too heavy for a Fox 34 so I'd be very surprised if you need max pressure unless you're a very aggressive rider
2&3 tokens and ramp control cart both just change the spring curve. Allowing the rider to run slightyl more sag and a softer sag point while the mid to end stroke spring rate ramps up creating a more progressive spring rate that will resist bottoming out more.

See the sticky thread on suspension set-up I posted in the general EMTB section. It's pretty helpful

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
That took me a moment but it really made me laugh.
I have indeed and that's where I started getting confused. Whilst the guide mentions the 34 Rhythm I wasn't sure if the E specific forks were different. I have also used the Specialized suspension tune on their website (Suspension Calculator | Specialized.com) which gives a totally different pressure. I am not sure if the following link will work but it's my results from Specialized. (Suspension Calculator App | Specialized.com)

Essentially Spec reckon on 120 psi with 1 click of rebound and Fox state 100 psi and 4 clicks of rebound. Although Spec also reckon on a front tyre pressure of 29-33 psi which seems really high but probably not taking into account tubeless.

In either event based on the plastic sag guide that comes with the bike the sag seems really low. I can't remember off hand what the measurement of sag is on the bit of plastic but I am sure it was less than 20mm, possibly around the 13-15mm mark.
I read somewhere that there is a formula to work out the sag based on fork/shock travel but again I would have to find it.

On my old Remedy I was running lower pressure but a couple of tokens to give me the small bump sensitivity and not blow through all the travel. Having looked up tokens for the Fox it mentions different ones for pedalec again more confusion.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Essentially Spec reckon on 120 psi with 1 click of rebound and Fox state 100 psi and 4 clicks of rebound.
Never blindly go with arecommendation, especially with rebound
Seriously look at the sticky suspension thread I posted... Everything you need to know is in there

jonpress

Oct 23, 2018
Iver
Thanks for the suggestions. I took a look briefly at the guide mentioned by Gary. That’ll be some bedtime reading this evening.

I appreciate that no one can tell me the golden solution and thanks for not just taking the RTFM approach. Unfortunately work is getting in the way of getting out there and trying some settings. Roll on Sunday and a wet Swinley.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
follow the beginner guide video I posted and you'll be 90% there in half an hour without even taking the bike on a proper ride.
Then watch the more advanced guide to understand what/why you might want other settings/tokens etc.
leave the longer reading on the subject until you understand the fundamentals and are looking for small gains in performance.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles