Another December Chain thread (for muppets) ... Yawn ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
did you call Upgrade?
Takly talky > typy typy

They show as out of stock, with stock due on the 10th January. Added myself to the "be informed when back in stock" options ..

But you are correct, I could call them and they'd probably know where there would be some in stock, who could then ship out ! .. :) Good thinking ..

It's so easy to get stuck on a CLICK track mind ..

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I could ship you one express post. Surely it would get there sooner. Plus it’s 10% tougher coming from Australia.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Fyi:
My well cared for khs 6555+e 11speed with Xt mech, sunrace cassette, and kmc ebike spec chain (all oem) has worn the chain after 377 miles to .5% wear. I was using finish line dry lube almost every ride, and cleaning the chain line with a good stiff brush as often.

This bikes shifting, unlike my trance, has been no trouble at all since sorting out some cable routing issues early on.

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The Sram chain I've put on the Kenevo is considerably smoother shifting than the factory KMC chain. That's comparing it whole of life, not just with how the KMC was once it was stretched. Maybe the chain has some tiny design features which make it more compatible with the sram cassette ?

Janc

Oct 22, 2019
Dorset
It's still quicker and easier than using a chain splitter and re-joining the chain with a new rivet - especially if the quick link is re-useable. (Seems to me there isn't much advantage for single use quick links).

Of course, you could follow the example of one of the lads on my "Friday Old Geezer Coffee Runs", who proudly announced that he had bought himself a quicklink after watching us repair a couple of broken chains the previous week. (One done with a quicklink and the other done by carefully replacing a chain rivet because the other guy didn't have a quicklink). When I asked what size link it was, he replied that it was a 10-speed, just like I'd used on my busted chain. He'd seen what I used and bought exactly the same thing. That'll do well on his 8-speed setup. :rolleyes:
I have jumped from 9sp to 12sp and didn't realise the newer ones need a tool / judicious use of pliers!

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
I was going to try the SRAM NX PC-1110 chain on my Turbo Levo but like the stock chain, 114 links is too short after upgrading to a 36t chainring.
I've gone with an SRAM PC X1 chain instead which is 118 links.

[Edit]
Just fitted it and shifts feel quite smooth and maybe quieter while on the stand. Will need to see how it works when ridden though.

Last edited:

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I was going to try the SRAM NX PC-1110 chain on my Turbo Levo but like the stock chain, 114 links is too short after upgrading to a 36t chainring.
I've gone with an SRAM PC X1 chain instead which is 118 links.

[Edit]
Just fitted it and shifts feel quite smooth and maybe quieter while on the stand. Will need to see how it works when ridden though.

I just ordered a new PC-1110 chain for my SDURO because the old one has elongated to just under 0.5 percent, measured with a 12 inch rule, after 3400 miles 2/3 commuting 1/3 mountain biking in dusty dry conditions. Arizona weather is easy on chains. Shifting is still very good. Hopefully I won’t need a new cassette; the wear crept up on me; I don’t usually go this long.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
elongated to just under 0.5 percent, measured with a 12 inch rule

How do you do that so accurately with a 12 inch rule? AIUI, 0.5% elongation is a little less than 1/16". How on earth can you assess that so accurately, guessing the location of the centre of the pins and allowing for parallax errors? ?

I can certainly see how others do it by holding up full length chains against a new one, but over such a short baseline and using a steel rule????

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
How do you do that so accurately with a 12 inch rule? AIUI, 0.5% elongation is a little less than 1/16". How on earth can you assess that so accurately, guessing the location of the centre of the pins and allowing for parallax errors? ?

I can certainly see how others do it by holding up full length chains against a new one, but over such a short baseline and using a steel rule????

Jeez, I’m not Mr. Spock and didn’t say 0.49726 percent, I said just under 0.5 percent meaning that the gap between the end of the rule and the chain side plate eyeballed to a little less than the 1/16 inch graduations on my small carpenter’s square.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Jeez, I’m not Mr. Spock and didn’t say 0.49726 percent, I said just under 0.5 percent meaning that the gap between the end of the rule and the chain side plate eyeballed to a little less than the 1/16 inch graduations on my small carpenter’s square.

I think you miss my point: you are eyeballing the centres of the pins to measure to 1/16" with a steel rule. That's a tiny amount to try to do by eye. You can be 1/32" either way and not realise. That's the difference between no stretch and way too much stretch.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I think you miss my point: you are eyeballing the centres of the pins to measure to 1/16" with a steel rule. That's a tiny amount to try to do by eye. You can be 1/32" either way and not realise. That's the difference between no stretch and way too much stretch.

I measure from outside plate to outside plate holding the rule braced against my leg; I think that this technique is a bit more accurate than you suggest.

Certainly there are better methods and I’ll concede that taking the chain off and measuring over a greater distance is more accurate but I’m not going to do that; I don’t even clean my chain other than sometimes using a little excess lube and wiping it off.

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe

Dammit, you’re right. New chain compared to old I have 0.75 percent chain wear and skipping under moderate load on the 11 and 12 cogs; that steel cassette isn’t going to wear in to the new chain any time soon. New PG-1130 cassette will be here tomorrow so a day without my bike or put the old chain back on. It’s going to rain tomorrow so I think I’ll drive my car for a change.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Just checked my chain. Its KMC hollow link chain. Previous chain was stock KMC chain fitted to the Levo Comp my19. Both chains have done 250 miles each....all on single track/ forest trails and gravity runs. Original chain had .75 wear after 250 miles but still worked fine so is my backpak spare. Replacement KMC hollow link chain has zero wear after 250 miles....both cleaned and lubed the same. If anything the hollow chain delivers a smoother change than the original. Question.....does the heavier weight of a solid chain create more wear with no discernable strength difference? Maybe!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles