Annoying rattle coming from the front end of 2019 turbo levo FSR

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Just pulled the right cable out a little bit put some tape around the cable to make it thicker. Pushed it back in again with the tape. It dosen´t rattle anymore anyway...The big issue for me is that the brake cable is wearing out only after 4 rides where it goes in to the backswing, you can now see metal on the cable.../: It´s a very sharp edge where it goes in to the swing arm. Am I missing some rubber piece here or are your bikes the same??
[email protected]

20190419_200702.jpg

20190419_200552.jpg

20190419_200544.jpg

Charlietcat

Apr 17, 2019
North East UK
Mi
mine are the
Mine

Yes please let me know, mine are the same, they are very loose even with the front wheel fitted. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Ok, I taped them up & the rattle stopped. Don’t think I should have done that though. The ones in the lbs are exactly the same as mine, ie loose. I found that, if I tightened the wheel throughbolt after pressing it over, then the rattle went also. It’s back again now, so I’m gonna live with it until it’s first service in a couple of weeks.

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Ok, I taped them up & the rattle stopped. Don’t think I should have done that though. The ones in the lbs are exactly the same as mine, ie loose. I found that, if I tightened the wheel throughbolt after pressing it over, then the rattle went also. It’s back again now, so I’m gonna live with it until it’s first service in a couple of weeks.
Pressing it over? The lever?

fat&grey

Dec 28, 2018
Uk
I thought my forks had an annoying rattle but bizarrely found out it was the seat post. A bit of gt85 resolved months of trying to find it.

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
!!!!!!SOLVED!!!!!!
The rebound adjuster knob on the bottom of the fork was rattling!! (rockshox debonair) I put it on the stand and checked every inch of the bike, I eventually started tapping the front tyre which caused the rattle, you could hear it resonate all the way up the fork tube, after putting some pressure on the adjusting knob while continuingly tapping the front tyre the sound disappeared straightaway! so just for now I have cut up some pieces of rubber and wedged them around the adjuster knob to hold it tight, I will go to my lbs next time I'm in town and see if specialized will replace the fork under warranty as the bike is only six months old..... phew that was doing my head in!!!......... I also read somewhere that little red knob just pulls away from the fork then if further adjustments are needed you can just push it back up into the fork, apparently it clicks back into place, ideally I would just remove it as I have my suspension tuned up perfectly for me, has anybody heard of this? I need a few opinions before I just rip the adjuster knob out and wreck the forks!!!

Last edited:

Korlger

Oct 21, 2018
TdzmTgn9eZAr
If you've ever removed your front wheel, check if the spacer that makes it extra snug is still there. (It lies loose on the hub, accorind to the LBS it gets lost sometimes.)

I have the same issue and I am convinced it comes from the front hub, the end caps of the hub feel very loose when the through axle is on. What spacer are you referring to? I don't think mine came with one, but it feels like one should be there to keep the end caps snug. Do you have any pics or even better link to the part?

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
I have the same issue and I am convinced it comes from the front hub, the end caps of the hub feel very loose when the through axle is on. What spacer are you referring to? I don't think mine came with one, but it feels like one should be there to keep the end caps snug. Do you have any pics or even better link to the part?

Maastricht

E*POWAH Master
Oct 3, 2018
M
That explains a lot! Mine is loose even when the axle is on. I did ask my LBS about it and they told me it is normal but I think it is time for another visit.
Mine is loose too. Had been asking myself already why this would be designed in this way. However as the axle is fixed and I don’t have any issues I didn’t pay any attention too it.

Korlger

Oct 21, 2018
TdzmTgn9eZAr
Mine is loose too. Had been asking myself already why this would be designed in this way. However as the axle is fixed and I don’t have any issues I didn’t pay any attention too it.

I sent an email to Specialized rider care this morning and they were very quick to respond with the following, back to the LBS this weekend I guess!

Thanks for reaching out. No, I wouldn't say that is normal. The rings are there to take advantage of the larger clamping surface on the Rock Shocks fork and they should be snug. The best thing to do is to visit your local Specialized retailer to further evaluate that. They can contact their service rep if they need additional assistance in finding a solution.

Vilt

Feb 13, 2019
Berg en Terblijt, The Netherlands
Maybe to clarify what Maastricht's and my LBS said:

Yes, it is loose on the wheel, it can rotate, it comes easily off, but when the axle is on and tightened it is snug and has no room to rattle or whatever. It clamps into place. Basically it fits perfectly.

Jakejake

Apr 24, 2020
UK
That explains a lot! Mine is loose even when the axle is on. I did ask my LBS about it and they told me it is normal but I think it is time for another visit.
Did you ever find a solution to this?

It seems I have the same issue with both spacers on either side of the fork being completely free spinning even when tightened up. I have a feeling this is causing the constant rattle when I'm riding...

Art Negus

May 9, 2020
USA
Check the headset is correctly tightened. Mine loosened off after a few rides. If you have a Swat tool the allen is at the bottom of the headtube.
Piling in on top of what Scoobaru wrote. Great advice! I tightened my headset and voila the noise is gone! This was the final step in my 2020 Turbo Levo Expert noise abatement plan :) Earlier I had a bunch of electrical cables rattling around in the top tube. I unscrewed the TCU display, unplugged the cables and threaded on some pieces of old road bike inner tube onto the wires to stop them bouncing around against the carbon. Now my bike is as quiet as a church mouse!

ashlevocomp

Apr 30, 2020
Redditch
I recently had a 2020 comp Levo and yesterday I developed a creak after 250 miles. I thought it was just the new bars and stem but they were torqued up. Sprayed a bit of lube on the stancions and it went away then came back 10 mins later after bouncing on them in the garden. Without pressing on the bars I pushed down on the forks and I could hear the creak so that dismissed the bars an stem etc

Bit of time this afternoon I stripped the front completely, bars off, forks out etc and the bottom bearing did seem pretty dusted up (no mud yet) and didn't seem really greased to much like wise aswell the top bearing.

Re-greased everything an every bolt. Only a quick ride but now it's silent. It's the worst possible thing to have a creak

Rob Levo ATL

Mar 27, 2022
ATL, Hartwell, & FL
Check the headset is correctly tightened. Mine loosened off after a few rides. If you have a Swat tool the allen is at the bottom of the headtube.
Thanks so much!
2022 Levo alloy started quiet and rattle /tap getting louder and nearly constant.
I was sure it must be something rattling under the TCU (nope)

Mine was a loud rattle, aluminum knocking, TApping, occasionally squeak or groan. Getting quite loud. Same sound if on or off seat, peddling or not, on rooty trails.
But holding the front brake and rocking the bike fore & aft, the headset seemed tight. Maybe it was the carbon spacers?
After seeing this thread, I watched a YouTube on tightening modern headset: must loosen 2 handlebar stem screws, then tighten Allen at top of headset & check bearing tightness. Retighten stem.

I wondered if I needed aluminum spacers, but carbon spacers staying quiet for now.

All sounds totally solved next 13 mile ride!!!!
Thanks so much, was really annoying loud sounds & hard to trace.

Last edited:

Rob Levo ATL

Mar 27, 2022
ATL, Hartwell, & FL
It's almost certainly the internal cable routing. Mine does this too but I know that I'm missing a bung that holds the cables tight. if you can freely move the cables back and forth through the cable insertion holes, that's your problem. Failing that, take the forks out and have a look at the routing.
Some of my cables move freely, and the sound really sounded like it could be the electrical connectors in the top tube under the TCU, so I removed TCU and rode with it dangling beside the bike, connectors outside the top tube, and got same tapping sound. Mine was totally fixed with head tube tightening (3 bolt process).

Snrbrtsn

Apr 7, 2021
Uk - Scotland
I’m chasing an annoying creak and left thinking it’s early Motor failure (2021 Levo Comp)
Sounds like typical Bottom bracket intermittent creak

So far I’ve
Removed Front wheel checked and cleaned spoke cross over, pulled axle, cleaned and greased bearings refitted and torqued
Removed forks, cleaned and greased headset bearings and cups, greased stem spacers on refit & torqued
Removed seat post, cleaned greased and refitted
Removed Seat, cleaned & greased rails - Torqued on refit
Removed rear shock, checked all linkage, cleaned and greased mountings - Torqued
Removed TCU and checked wire taughtness / Rubbing
Removed pedals, fitted replacements
Removed crank arms, cleaned & lightly greased - Torqued on refit though shit myself taking up so high
Removed / replaced chain and cassette torqued on refit (was worn >0.75 & new chain only caused slip)
Changed rear wheel with torqued cassette, cleaned, greased axle bolt - Torqued on refit

Tonight, I removed Battery and cleaned rock guard, removed all motor bolts, cleaned, lightly lubed and torqued, I’ve yet to take out!

My creak, is honestly doing my head in!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles