Annoying rattle coming from the front end of 2019 turbo levo FSR

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Hi guys I have a 2019 turbo levo FSR as I'm riding along I have this annoying rattle coming from the front end, as I ride I have been putting slight tension on the levers including the gear shifter to take up any slack, I've been holding the cables I've tried everything I cannot find the rattle, I pulled the battery out there is no internal cabling in that down tube all the other internal cabling seems to be tight with no slack which I thought might be causing a slight rattle which resonates through the whole bike but I am stumped, it still rattles when I'm not pedalling so the drivetrain can be ruled out, I can be only coasting along and as long as I'm hitting some sort of bump the rattle will be there! any suggestions will be great thanks.

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
Check the headset is correctly tightened. Mine loosened off after a few rides. If you have a Swat tool the allen is at the bottom of the headtube.

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
also check the front brake hose is not banging against the lower fork, I had to put a cable tie round mine to stop it rattling

Moose

Feb 19, 2018
Cheltenham Spa
I had a very annoying rattle that I thought was coming from the front end of my Levo. After some time and a few rides I realised it was the visor on my helmet rattling as one of the screws was loose. :)

G-Bru

Jan 8, 2019
United Kingdom
If it’s Rockshox fork, make sure one of your air volume spacers/tokens has not come loose in your fork. Easy enough to check. It was the cause of the rattle in my front end.

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
I have a RockShox fork as you're looking towards the bike up inside the left-hand side there is the be a rebound adjuster?? that rattles around but how can you tighten it?

deanphoto

Dec 14, 2018
UK
It's almost certainly the internal cable routing. Mine does this too but I know that I'm missing a bung that holds the cables tight. if you can freely move the cables back and forth through the cable insertion holes, that's your problem. Failing that, take the forks out and have a look at the routing.

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
It's almost certainly the internal cable routing. Mine does this too but I know that I'm missing a bung that holds the cables tight. if you can freely move the cables back and forth through the cable insertion holes, that's your problem. Failing that, take the forks out and have a look at the routing.
I can move them back and forward where they go through the head stem, inside the side arm near the rear shock they are tight as

G-Bru

Jan 8, 2019
United Kingdom
I have a RockShox fork as you're looking towards the bike up inside the left-hand side there is the be a rebound adjuster?? that rattles around but how can you tighten it?

The rebound adjuster on my Lyrik is on the right fork leg when sitting on the bike, its spring loaded on mine so not sure why yours is loose. On the left leg of the Lyrik is the air valve, if you release all the air from the fork and remove the air valve top cap (containing the tokens) you can visually check that none have come loose and rattling around on top of the airspring. (Plenty of videos on Youtube on how to add or remove tokens, or, download the service manual for your fork from SRAM website).

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
The rebound adjuster on my Lyrik is on the right fork leg when sitting on the bike, its spring loaded on mine so not sure why yours is loose. On the left leg of the Lyrik is the air valve, if you release all the air from the fork and remove the air valve top cap (containing the tokens) you can visually check that none have come loose and rattling around on top of the airspring. (Plenty of videos on Youtube on how to add or remove tokens, or, download the service manual for your fork from SRAM website).
thanks for your reply....... Um... What are tokens??

G-Bru

Jan 8, 2019
United Kingdom
Screenshot 2019-04-11 at 08.27.39.png

G-Bru

Jan 8, 2019
United Kingdom
Ok now I understand that is an awesome diagram so that token could be loose and I can fix that myself can I?

Yes, my Lyrik had 2 installed from factory and 1 of them came loose and was rattling round on top of the airspring. They simply thread together. Not saying this is your problem, but easy enough to check. Make sure you release all air from the fork before removing the top cap!!!!!

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Thanks for your reply if you have time can you let me know in detail without taking too much of your time how to do this please? I'm not really up to speed with how these forks work. I am just about to go out for the evening so if I do not reply for a while I'm not being rude

G-Bru

Jan 8, 2019
United Kingdom
This is the sound a loose bottomless token will make.... remove your front wheel and violently shake the front end up and down, as per this video. If you don't hear this sound you may be wasting your time checking....

However, if you do, here is a video demonstrating how to remove and change bottomless tokens. (If your token is loose it will be at the bottom of the air chamber lying on top of the airspring. Turn the bike upside down to get it out...)

Torque setting for the air spring top cap when reassembling is 28NM.

Good luck

G.

Last edited:

deanphoto

Dec 14, 2018
UK
I can move them back and forward where they go through the head stem, inside the side arm near the rear shock they are tight as

You shouldn't be able to move the cables through the front end of the frame. They should be held securely using the hex bolt, mine is the same and is driving me mad. It's definitely this.

Thomas

Aug 29, 2018
Europe
That is why I never ride Factory build bikes. Always strip them down and build them back up my self, usually with much better components. Never had any issues whatsoever over the years doing that.

Petermatos

Mar 27, 2019
Luton
Hi guys I have a 2019 turbo levo FSR as I'm riding along I have this annoying rattle coming from the front end, as I ride I have been putting slight tension on the levers including the gear shifter to take up any slack, I've been holding the cables I've tried everything I cannot find the rattle, I pulled the battery out there is no internal cabling in that down tube all the other internal cabling seems to be tight with no slack which I thought might be causing a slight rattle which resonates through the whole bike but I am stumped, it still rattles when I'm not pedalling so the drivetrain can be ruled out, I can be only coasting along and as long as I'm hitting some sort of bump the rattle will be there! any suggestions will be great thanks.
Have you checked your wheel bearings? The rear one went on my bike which caused a rattle noise.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB

You shouldn't be able to move the cables through the front end of the frame. They should be held securely using the hex bolt, mine is the same and is driving me mad. It's definitely this.
So I noticed the right side cables can slide in and out and I'm sure that's creating my rattle. Do you just tighten the Allen bolt?

Levolized

Dec 16, 2018
Norway
That is my problem as well... Thanks!!

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
The only rattle I can make that bike do while stationary is move the front brake pads around in the caliper,, now it's going to be a tad hard to ride and hold the brake pads in place at the same time I might have to chock them up somehow and take it for a test ride

Lightning bolt

Nov 28, 2018
Lanzarote
I have this problem also.....I was thinking it was a problem with the fork but now im thinking this is the likely problem. I can move the cables back and forth on one side only, the right side when sat on the bike. what is the bung you are talking about thats missing????? and what is the fix to secure the cables. mine only rattles on certain sections of trails, mostly rock gardens but its very annoying. initially i thought it was the swat tool so i removed it, then i was thinking problem with fork. but now ive read this thread im thinking most likely cables need securing before stripping the fork for inspection. Anymore info on this issue would be appreciated. @Specialized Rider Care

Charlietcat

Apr 17, 2019
North East UK
Hi, I’ve had my Levo Comp a couple of weeks now & its awesome...but it too has a similar rattle from the front. I’ve checked the cable roution to no avail & was in the process of removing the front wheel to check pads when I noticed the spacers on the outside of the hubs were very loose. Even when the wheel is fitted these spacers can b pushed from underneath & make exactly the same noise as I’m getting on the trails. I’m convinced it’s these things, so tomorrow I’m of to the LBS to check some on in store bikes to see if they are the same. I’ll let you know.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
All I can hear now is rattle and creaks.

I can definitely move the cables on the right side in and out. Even though the bolt is tight. How can I fix that then?

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Mi
Hi, I’ve had my Levo Comp a couple of weeks now & its awesome...but it too has a similar rattle from the front. I’ve checked the cable roution to no avail & was in the process of removing the front wheel to check pads when I noticed the spacers on the outside of the hubs were very loose. Even when the wheel is fitted these spacers can b pushed from underneath & make exactly the same noise as I’m getting on the trails. I’m convinced it’s these things, so tomorrow I’m of to the LBS to check some on in store bikes to see if they are the same. I’ll let you know.
mine are the
Mine
Yes please let me know, mine are the same, they are very loose even with the front wheel fitted. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Levolized

Dec 16, 2018
Norway
Just pulled the right cable out a little bit put some tape around the cable to make it thicker. Pushed it back in again with the tape. It dosen´t rattle anymore anyway...The big issue for me is that the brake cable is wearing out only after 4 rides where it goes in to the backswing, you can now see metal on the cable.../: It´s a very sharp edge where it goes in to the swing arm. Am I missing some rubber piece here or are your bikes the same??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles