Annoying noise

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
My jam2 has started making an annoying noise when riding. At first I thought it was the headset as it's that kinda noise but upon further inspection it happens when I push the rear end down. It's not the saddle or seat post.

Any ideas what it could be? The bike is only 2-3 weeks old so wouldn't have thought any the bearings would have gone so quick

Thanks in advance

fasterisbest

May 6, 2019
Canada
Could be dust in the rear linkage or pivot point somewhere. If you have enough in there it can start to make 'creaking' noises when the bike flexes. Could also be a blown bearing. Take it apart, clean it with a cloth and/or brush and then put it back together torqued to spec. Or check to see if each bearing is rolling smoothly.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
If you're talking about a clicking noise, I had the very same from my Jam2 when new earlier this year.

At first I thought it was the cables where they entered the down tube but it wasn't.
Then I checked the head-tube bearings. The top one was more corroded than the Titanic, despite the bike being new. I replaced it but problem remained.

I 'think' I finally solved it by tightening up the motor mounting bolts although at first I may have over tightened them which seemed to make the motor noisier. I also messed about with seat post but I do think, in my case, it was the motor bolts.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Thanks for the tips just been out in the shed, gave the bike a good clean and gentle hose down all bolts were torqed correctly. I removed the forks and checked headset, looks okay but I packed a bit of grease in there as did seem a bit dry on the bottoms bearings.

It seems to be doing it all the time now more noticeable on bumpier terrain and less so on smooth roads. And really noticeable if I make the rear suspension work and loudest at the begining of its travel. Once I start getting into the travel it seems okay.

Going to get it out the stand and see if it still persists

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I had like a clicking on the back of mine, I took out all the suspension bolts and put a bit of grease on, the main pivot at the bottom just taps out abit to grease, I also took the seat post out and put a light covering on. Then torque it back up.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Mine did the same from new then suddenly stopped , I never found out what caused it.
Regarding the headset bearings, so far I’ve only ever ridden in the dry baring a light shower , then lightly hosed the bike down to clean.
I decided to check mine after reading this post, the bottom one had gathered crud on top and was looking a little rust coloured
(it wiped off easily).
It seems as though the crud is entering through the vents and dropping onto the top of the bottom bearing.
It could be easily solved by extending the vent covers further down the frame.(just 50mm would make all the difference)
It’s hardly ideal having to strip down the headset after each wet ride but by the looks of it that’s what’s needed.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
My creaking turned out to be the cap that covers the bottom suspension pivotbolt.
Looking at it I thought it was a large/long bolt acting as the pivot bearing but unscrewing it revealed it to be a cover for the above mentioned pivot.
A clean and gentle application of ACF 50 (light grease) has cured the problem.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
Is it like a light knocking noise?

I had that and it was coming from the shock, if I sat on it and bounced up and down it knocked slightly on the downward movement.

Took it to a LBS who removed the shock and checked linkages etc, they thought there may have been a slight discrepancy between frame and shock mountings but since they put everything back together it's been fine. It even went back to where I bought it from and they couldn't find anything wrong.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Mine did the same from new then suddenly stopped , I never found out what caused it.
Regarding the headset bearings, so far I’ve only ever ridden in the dry baring a light shower , then lightly hosed the bike down to clean.
I decided to check mine after reading this post, the bottom one had gathered crud on top and was looking a little rust coloured
(it wiped off easily).
It seems as though the crud is entering through the vents and dropping onto the top of the bottom bearing.
It could be easily solved by extending the vent covers further down the frame.(just 50mm would make all the difference)
It’s hardly ideal having to strip down the headset after each wet ride but by the looks of it that’s what’s needed.
Same. It's only a cheapy headset in mine. I will upgrade to one with sealed carried bearings at some point, hopefully protect it against the water.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
My creaking turned out to be the cap that covers the bottom suspension pivotbolt.
Looking at it I thought it was a large/long bolt acting as the pivot bearing but unscrewing it revealed it to be a cover for the above mentioned pivot.
A clean and gentle application of ACF 50 (light grease) has cured the problem.
I'll have a look at that 2moro

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Is it like a light knocking noise?

I had that and it was coming from the shock, if I sat on it and bounced up and down it knocked slightly on the downward movement.

Took it to a LBS who removed the shock and checked linkages etc, they thought there may have been a slight discrepancy between frame and shock mountings but since they put everything back together it's been fine. It even went back to where I bought it from and they couldn't find anything wrong.
Kinda sometimes it's a bit squeky. Im gonna take the shock out and see if still does it without shock in

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
Can you get someone else to bounce it while you have your ear to to bike ?
Or did you already try that

Timmarc

May 7, 2019
Folsom, California
I've been waiting to respond. But, my 2018 Jam2 pro plus had the exact same noise. which was driving me crazy.

The sound, clicking, appeared to be coming from the crank/battery area with the possibility of a frame problem or a broken battery case. I first re-torqued all the suspension and shock pivots as specified on the bolts and found that some had loosened. The noise was temporarily gone, but the ultimate repair was a disassembly of the main swing arm pivot and a coating of grease on each part and proper torque.

By the way, the Jam is my favorite mountain bike ever, even bought a second one for the wife.

Tim

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
I've been waiting to respond. But, my 2018 Jam2 pro plus had the exact same noise. which was driving me crazy.

The sound, clicking, appeared to be coming from the crank/battery area with the possibility of a frame problem or a broken battery case. I first re-torqued all the suspension and shock pivots as specified on the bolts and found that some had loosened. The noise was temporarily gone, but the ultimate repair was a disassembly of the main swing arm pivot and a coating of grease on each part and proper torque.

By the way, the Jam is my favorite mountain bike ever, even bought a second one for the wife.

Tim
Thankyou, will try this. has it been okay since?

Timmarc

May 7, 2019
Folsom, California
Yes, the suspension is absolutely silent now. Importantly, the pivot is completely taken apart with the exception of the sealed bearings. The noise, which appears to resonate throughout the frame, seemed to be from the spacer tube in the center of the pivot. Just coat each and every piece with grease. Trust me, I tried everything including replacing the rear shock. Happy riding, I now have 1000 miles on mine; the most fun ever.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Yes, the suspension is absolutely silent now. Importantly, the pivot is completely taken apart with the exception of the sealed bearings. The noise, which appears to resonate throughout the frame, seemed to be from the spacer tube in the center of the pivot. Just coat each and every piece with grease. Trust me, I tried everything including replacing the rear shock. Happy riding, I now have 1000 miles on mine; the most fun ever.
Ill give that a go 2moro, ive think ive got about 260 odd miles done on mine so far. Many more to come once ive sorted this noise out :)

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Do you get the noise with seat removed?

I had that problem on two analog bikes a on current Jam2 - the problem was always overtightened bolt(s) on the seat rails.

The Spesh Epic I used to have had that creaking noise was coming from the seat tube clamp. Found out after replacing shock and fork and every single pivot bearing.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Mine is 99km old...and all is good.

This weekend we visited Mugello for the MotoGP, and the bikes was in the trunk.
On the way home we visited our favorite trail in CZ (Nove Mesto Pod Smrkem) and the bike was horrible...really annoying.
Very strange, because it was just fine leaving home some days ago.

The sound seems to origin from the motor....the rear...the fork...anywere.
After some hours of hunting the issue, I finally took the rear suspension system apart and greased it all up.
This finally fixed the issue...and we will cycle again tomorrow on our fantastic trail :)

The link system is a bit crappy iMO - small spacer and flimsy parts.
Some of the bearings was very hard to rotate...I migth replace them when I get home.

Is there a frame bearing kit anywhere ?
Can't seem to find one...

I might ask my LBS - maybe warranty still apply's to this 2 week old bike.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
I got mine from Rutland and they were super helpful although I didn't have to warranty it in the end I just greased the main pivot bolt as someone suggested but now my rear shock is making a horrible noise at beginning of stroke, feels okay when I'm riding just not so nice when I'm off the bike. Will send it off for warranty or try fix it myself at some point.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Had my Jam2 for six months and have covered around 1500 miles (2400km) through a British winter.
The headset is shot and I have replaced it but the rear suspension has been nothing but silent and smooth.

After every (well almost every) ride I clean the bike and spray the suspension bearings with Weldtite TF2 or a similar spray containing teflon. Could be this or could just be good luck.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
My latest noisy squeak came from the headset....I dismantled to find quite a lot of fine crud lurking in there. A good clean and re grease with some super CV joint grease and a good spray with ACF50 has kept it quiet so far.
Have sealed the fork bridge? hole with duct tape for now to keep some of the crud entering from that area..guess I should remove that from time to time to prevent moisture build up.

Re dismantling suspension ....is anything under spring pressure that might bite me as I undo something ?? Main pivot bearing could do with more grease.
Have Fun ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles