Annoying noise

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

Re dismantling suspension ....is anything under spring pressure that might bite me as I undo something ?? Main pivot bearing could do with more grease.
Have Fun ;)

Just let all the air out first. Don't rely on just the shock pump; press the nipple in the valve with an Allen key to ensure all the pressure is released.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I've just started to work on my creak. I have a 2018 plus (29 front/27.5 rear) Jam2 carbon, Fox suspension. I can get it to creak just at the very top of the rear suspension travel. Lifting the bike upward first by the seat or the post and the initial travel is where the creak happens. I've tried to feel for the exact location but just can't determine that, only that it's at the back "somewhere" and not the shock. Since the bearings I've checked so far are smooth and also sealed, how is everyone greasing them? I have cleaned, greased and torqued the upper pivot "bolt" of the rear triangle (bolt face and around the perimeter) and those two sealed bearings felt very smooth. Now to the bottom one. Since this is a thru bolt I'm guess this is going to be the one that is making the noise not one of the ones with a sealed bearing on each side.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
Could be main pivot axle or cable rubbing perhaps? try pulling on the cable at front where they go into frame make sure there's not any slack inside the frame.

How do you like the 29er up front? been thinking of changing mine to 29er up front

Si1

Jun 6, 2019
OX18
My Jam2 9.6 Carbon developed a creak which sounded like it was coming anywhere from the headset to the rear suspension. Turned out to be the two bolts on the underside of the downtube (battery holder?) needed re torquing!

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Could be main pivot axle or cable rubbing perhaps? try pulling on the cable at front where they go into frame make sure there's not any slack inside the frame.

How do you like the 29er up front? been thinking of changing mine to 29er up front
I love the 29er up front, roll-over rocks much better and even better thru sand which was a surprise. It's really great over rocks too. I'm using the regular (2C) minions, DHF and DHR II, 2.5" up front and 2.8" in the back. No nothing else is rubbing that I can see. I've hit small amount of water on many rides but never wash the bike so I'm thinking it's that lower stay pivot and will check it today.

At first I thought it was the fork seals. So I changed the oil at 600 miles, lubed the foam dust ring and seals ( installed a 150mm air shaft then too). But the noise almost sounded rubbery after about 15 miles of a dusty ride so tried spraying some Teflon spray on the seals before a ride. But for now I can hear a creak just as the shock breaks away from being fully topped out so I'm going to address that one first. Maybe the seals are old and dried out too. It sat at least a year before I bought it since it's a 2018. They sold them in the US at a very low cost when Focus decided not to sell them here. I only paid $4200. plus tax for mine.

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My Jam2 9.6 Carbon developed a creak which sounded like it was coming anywhere from the headset to the rear suspension. Turned out to be the two bolts on the underside of the downtube (battery holder?) needed re torquing!
No not those. I have torqued those and everything else on the bike since things like the crank arms tend to loosen often.

Just a quick update. That suspension creak was in fact the bottom stay bolt. Nice and smooth and quiet now. I have to go for a ride tomorrow to see if it was the offending creak but I'm hopeful. Thanks

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
If you're talking about a clicking noise, I had the very same from my Jam2 when new earlier this year.

At first I thought it was the cables where they entered the down tube but it wasn't.
Then I checked the head-tube bearings. The top one was more corroded than the Titanic, despite the bike being new. I replaced it but problem remained.

I 'think' I finally solved it by tightening up the motor mounting bolts although at first I may have over tightened them which seemed to make the motor noisier. I also messed about with seat post but I do think, in my case, it was the motor bolts.
What torque setting did you use. I have not found that anywhere. I have an annoying tic with mine too. I did find a suspension noise that went away with greasing all the plastic pivots but that wasn't it. While it did make a noise that was not the tic I'm hearing and mostly ignoring for now. You can't get to some of the motor mount bolts but I'll probably remove the chain ring and see what I can do. Might also be a pedal tic. It comes with a pedaling frequency too so either that or a bearing in the motor (hope not). It does sound a bit like the typical bottom bracket tic you hear on non-ebikes.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had an annoyingly intermittent metallic rattling noise coming from the bike (Carbon Jam2). It took me a while to find out what it was.

For those that use a TEC pack, the cable goes from the TEC pack into the charging socket underneath the top tube. When the TEC pack is exhausted, you have to disconnect the cable, but what to do with it? The Focus solution is to leave one end of the cable in the charging socket and to clip the other end into a specially made recess further down the top tube. The cable has a magnetic connector at each end, so to give the connector something to fasten to a metal disc is screwed into the frame. On my bike the screw was loose allowing the metal disc to rattle. I only found this when I used the TEC pack for the first time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles