STUnlocker Android App for Shimano motors is available

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My guess is that your new pack, sadly, has some cells down from the factory. Presumably @vadII just extracts the health data as a variable from the controller rather than calculating it himself.
Hmm...
What do you mean by "from the controller"?
the controller in the motor? the E7000 bar display? or battery electronics?

You also said that the e7000 was gutless compared to the e8000, I've only very briefly tried an e7000 but I didn't find it that much different (though when using this information keep in mind that I am an inept Moron who can barely stay upright on a bike for more than 10 meters).
It's gutless as it only has 60Nm of torque in trail and boost and boost at max is only 238% rather than 300% so at the top end it's really noticably weaker in comparison to the E8000. ie. when climbing really steep gradients or steady climbing at 20mph(ish) and riding flat out (putting in a lot of human Watts) on the flat. Riding along at lower speeds (putting in less effort) as you say the two motors don't feel all that different.
for eg. I challenged my GF to a wee race up the 7% 0.5 mile road climb home with her riding the Sommet, me on the Sentier. She destroyed me. (She's a lot younger and fit but I'd still annihilate her climbing the same hill on non-Eebs)

So it could be your pack is only sticking out 18v. Have you tried a different pack in the Sentier ?
This seems unlikely TBH.

I haven't tried my ESommet battery in the Sentier but I ran the Sentier battery in my ESommet yesterday for a 10 mile loop with a fair bit of elevation (3000ft - towing a mate for 900 of those) and it behaved absolutely fine.

both bikes are here with fully charged batteries just now so I'll have a mess about switching batteries from one bike to the other and see what the Sentier battery health reads in the Sommet and vice versa.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
What do you mean by "from the controller"?

Alas, here we have a bit of a problem in not knowing how the system works.. The battery must contain the bms as it can be charged off the bike. The charger is not intelligent, so the electronics in the battery must take care of the charging and battery cell balancing and so on, so logically, keeps track of "battery health". This information must be networked to the system in the motor, which also contains the bluetooth and so on. It might be that the variable when it's transmitted through an e7000 needs interpreting differently to an e8000 and @vadII needs to make a tweek. Especially as you report that both batteries seem to behave similarly.

I challenged my GF to a wee race up the 7% 0.5 mile road climb home with her riding the Sommet, me on the Sentier. She destroyed me.

Is a simple situation of mind over matter .. you preferred to watch her bottom, so you went slowly.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ok.

UPDATE:

Both batteries show 100% health if fitted in the ESommet (E8000 motor)
:cool:

Both batteries show 32% Health if fitted in the ESentier (E7000 motor)
:unsure:

Sommet battery shows 27 cycles. Sentier battery shows 3 cycles. in either bike. Which is correct. (Sommet's done 1100miles, Sentier's probably done 100ish)

@vadII is this a bug with the software when connected to an E7000 system?

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
She's a lot younger and fit but I'd still annihilate her climbing the same hill on non-Eebs

OK, so great news that your battery isn't fecked. I know you have CRC/Wiggle on quick dial, but it doesn't mean you like sending them heavy presents all the time. Looks like the e7000 system must interpret the value differently... Something to keep vadll busy with whilst he continues to scratch his head on how to make walk mode modifiable. (Something which used to drive me mad, but as my competence s l o w l y improves, something I seldom use - so there's hope for everyone).

So, statistically speaking, from what evidence you've provided. If we make the wild assumption that in real like the e7000 performs almost on par with the e8000 (though your figures don't back that up - can't you change them with stepsunlocker ? Maybe @vadII with give you a free licence for bug finding so you can find more e7000 bugs) Then what you're saying is that on the heavier e-bikes, she's faster. But on a lighter normal bike, you're faster. So she's younger, fitter, better looking from the front and the back and also stronger than you ? Sounds like a keeper ! :)

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So she's younger, fitter, better looking from the front and the back
Yes. She's good looking fit and younger but
I'm so good looking and youthful myself I have to hide all the mirrors in the house or I'd never get anything done.
;)

No. the E7000 does not perform almost on par with the E8000.

Before buying the Sentier I'd read various internet reviews/reports saying the E7000 was pretty much on a par with the E8000 but was genuinely shocked at how much difference that 10Nm of torque it's lacking actually does make in real life.
I only ride in the real world though. Even when completely out my tits.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
New version was uploaded to Google Play Store for FULL supporting latest FWs (4.7.0 & 4.4.0 (E6xxx, E7000).
Downgrading is not required anymore.
Enjoy!
How did you work that out ?! :) Well done Vadll, nice work. Did you fix the E7000 battery health bug ? or is that a bug with the E7000 ? People are never happy ! :) Updating now ..

Momo

Jun 25, 2019
Romania
Just updated my E8000 from 4.6.1 to 4.7.0 using the etube app. All settings (assist, wheel circumference, market) modified with Vadll app remained the same. I expected the new FW to erase them but it didnt :) Well done (y)(y)(y)

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
I think the main change in theory was that Trail mode was improved in it's intuitiveness .. in theory .. maybe ...

Pretty much that plus the small, under-hood tweaks/compatibility features.

With the STEPS Unlocker updated to be compatible with the current 4.7.0/4.4.0 firmware, there's really no point anymore being on 4.6.1/4.3.1.

tuomos

May 30, 2019
finland
New version was uploaded to Google Play for FULL support of latest FWs (4.7.0 & 4.4.0 (E6xxx, E7000).
Downgrading is not required anymore.
Enjoy!

FULL support for e8000? meaning ability to change top speed as well?

i have the app updated, and 4.7.0 in the bike, but the app still says i have to downgrade the firmware to change top speed

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I've used this tool for some month - very good.
Then it supported 4.7 engine fw and I updated.

When I turn the bike on, the display will show the normal startup animation, then go in to normal condition....but after 2 seconds it went back to the startup display and buttons became unresponsive (nothing changes on the display).

Power cycled several times....no change.
But...the engine worked as usual....the display was just stuck in startup mode.

So I defaulted it with e-tube Shimano tool, and the display came back into normal viewing mode....phew.
Then tweaked with steps-unlockr and all is good now :)

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Bit of an odd issue, updated firmware to 4.7.1 and then connected with steps unlocker, I have changed the chainring to a 32t hope ring and the app now lets you change ring sizes to something other than the 2 Shimano rings available ie 34/36, so I set it to 32t, turned the bike off and back on again and got the dreaded E 10 error, fortunately I was still able to connect the app, I changed the chainring back to 34t and all is well, did a 20 mile ride today with no issues. Don't know what to make of it but I would suggest not changing ring size to anything other than the standard Shimano ones

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Bit of an odd issue, updated firmware to 4.7.1 and then connected with steps unlocker, I have changed the chainring to a 32t hope ring and the app now lets you change ring sizes to something other than the 2 Shimano rings available ie 34/36, so I set it to 32t, turned the bike off and back on again and got the dreaded E 10 error, fortunately I was still able to connect the app, I changed the chainring back to 34t and all is well, did a 20 mile ride today with no issues. Don't know what to make of it but I would suggest not changing ring size to anything other than the standard Shimano ones

Thanks for the heads up, I haven't changed mine yet because I'd like to know what the effect is if I do. Do the different Shimano ring sizes 34/38 have an effect on the tune if swapped from one to the other. Same goes for one of the alternate sizes such as 36T, does the app allow for a different motor tune to be used if changed over.

My bike pulls hard and rides awesome with the 36T fitted and the 34T entered in the software, I'm not going to change it until I'm convinced there's a benefit.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Shimano does not make 32T chain ring, this is because it's not supported by FWs. I made this feature by request from few customers. They are tested it without any success...

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Shimano does not make 32T chain ring, this is because it's not supported by FWs. I made this feature by request from few customers. They are tested it without any success...
It might be an idea to go back to just the 2 Shimano ring sizes given that it doesn't work

SEBA

Sep 11, 2019
French Provence High Alps
Someone can explain me the % correction speed item please ?

So, my feedback for StepsUnlocker :
Assist settings work well, market setting too. I set to US, now motor assist cut @ 32 Km/h. Very good on the flat. The downside is the wheel circumference. All diameter below 2300 ( stock is 2300 ) I got intermitent motor cut off. And as much the number is low as much I have motor cut off. Disturbing. Yes the speed limit is raised but .. so back to 2300 and no more cut off, working well. My FW is 4.7.1 and electrical gear shifting. Maybe in new version of the app ?! ( I prefer not to downgrade to 4.3.2 )

Is 4.3.2 a good FW ?!

Last edited:

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Someone can explain me the % correction speed item please ?

So, my feedback for StepsUnlocker :
Assist settings work well, market setting too. I set to US, now motor assist cut @ 32 Km/h. Very good on the flat. The downside is the wheel circumference. All diameter below 2300 ( stock is 2300 ) I got intermitent motor cut off. And as much the number is low as much I have motor cut off. Disturbing. Yes the speed limit is raised but .. so back to 2300 and no more cut off, working well. My FW is 4.7.1 and electrical gear shifting. Maybe in new version of the app ?! ( I prefer not to downgrade to 4.3.2 )

Is 4.3.2 a good FW ?!

I haven't gone to 4.7.1 yet but I know wheel circumference doesn't affect the motor on my bike on 4.7.0

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Google removed the app from Google Play due to Shimano requirement ...

Requirements of Shimano complete nonsense, no any evidence, just "unauthorized copies of ours copyrighted materials". It's bullshit, because the App doesn't have any Shimano stuff, except my own realization of their protocol, which, I believe, is not copyrighted.

IOS will be next, I think so.

p.s. It's very funny, because all other Apps for Shimano motors are still available :)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Google removed the app from Google Play due to Shimano requirement ...

Requirements of Shimano complete nonsense, no any evidence, just "unauthorized copies of ours copyrighted materials". It's bullshit, because the App doesn't have any Shimano stuff, except my own realization of their protocol, which, I believe, is not copyrighted.

IOS will be next, I think so.

p.s. It's very funny, because all other Apps for Shimano motors are still available :)
You can still distribute the app, just not through Google play ?

That sucks though. Sorry to hear vadll.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles