Analogue Help - Trek X Caliber 7 Conversion to SRAM 12 Speed single

mooby77

Jun 28, 2020
Snowdonia
Hi guys ,
Getting my Trek X Caliber 7 2020 back together , converting from the stock 2 X9 Shimano Alivio to SRAM Eagle 12 speed.

All going well today , all the old taken off, New bottom bracket and crankset on , rear mech on , shifter , but then tried to fit the cassette and not so good , It is a std Shimano HG free hub , took the old cassette off , fitted the new one on , tried to tighten down and it would go so far tight , then kind of bottom out and come loose again, tried a few times the same

Put the wheel back on the bike with the SRAM cassette fitted like that just to see and then it seems to rub when I span the wheel , so took it back off , the cassette had some play in it as obviously something not right.

I'm sure the SRAM cassette is compatible with STD HG Shimano hub , so it probably something I am doing wrong (as usual) or a dodgy cassette maybe.

Any ideas .

Cheers

Paul

mooby77

Jun 28, 2020
Snowdonia
Hi guys ,
Getting my Trek X Caliber 7 2020 back together , converting from the stock 2 X9 Shimano Alivio to SRAM Eagle 12 speed.

All going well today , all the old taken off, New bottom bracket and crankset on , rear mech on , shifter , but then tried to fit the cassette and not so good , It is a std Shimano HG free hub , took the old cassette off , fitted the new one on , tried to tighten down and it would go so far tight , then kind of bottom out and come loose again, tried a few times the same

Put the wheel back on the bike with the SRAM cassette fitted like that just to see and then it seems to rub when I span the wheel , so took it back off , the cassette had some play in it as obviously something not right.

I'm sure the SRAM cassette is compatible with STD HG Shimano hub , so it probably something I am doing wrong (as usual) or a dodgy cassette maybe.

Any ideas .

Cheers

Paul
Boost , any ideas , much appreciated

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
What SRAM cassette is it , NX is standard Shimano HG fitment I think but others you will need a SRAM XD driver on your hub

mooby77

Jun 28, 2020
Snowdonia
Are you 100% sure you have the correct SRAM NX 12 speed cassette for Shimano HG hub? with 11 tooth smallest cog ?
There is a boost and non-boost version of the groupset, but I think the only difference is in the chain line of the crankset.
cassette should fit.

If you absolutely have the correct cassette, make sure the freehub is meticulously clean, i.e no detritus preventing it seating properly.
Hi , yes , it has the 11 tooth smallest , it is boost version , which i believe is correct for my bike per
Rear Hub:
Formula DC-2241, alloy, 6-bolt, Shimano 8/9/10 freehub, Boost141, 5 mm QR, do I need a spacer ?

mooby77

Jun 28, 2020
Snowdonia
Do you have this cassette ??

Yes I have the PG 1230

IMG_20210222_112950[11813].jpg

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi , yes , it has the 11 tooth smallest , it is boost version , which i believe is correct for my bike per
Rear Hub:
Formula DC-2241, alloy, 6-bolt, Shimano 8/9/10 freehub, Boost141, 5 mm QR, do I need a spacer ?
Tbh I've never heard of Boost 141 I've always had 148 , if the cassette is moving on the freehub when it's tightened you possibly need a spacer at the back of the cassette ?

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
Tbh I've never heard of Boost 141 I've always had 148 , if the cassette is moving on the freehub when it's tightened you possibly need a spacer at the back of the cassette ?

If you have the old cassette try installing one of the old black spacers on the freehub then install cassette and tighten ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles