• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Am I too heavy for an ebike?

SolePassenger

Mar 31, 2019
Langley, BC Canada
With insurance and gas prices soaring where I live I've been looking into buying a ebike for my commute to and from work and hitting the trails when I can. I used to go biking all the time as a kid and I want to get back into it, This is as much a health thing as it is transportation for me. Problem is I'm currently 128kg and most bikes I see say 120kg max. I've been loosing weight (down 4.2kg so far! Woo) so I don't doubt that I will be under 120kg eventually. But I'm worried my current weight might be too much for the bike.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with a rider of my weight?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
for a hardtail on roads and light trail use I can't see your weight being an issue.

The only reasons I suggest a hardtail is because you may struggle setting a rear shock up firm enough and for mainly commuting with occasional trail use not having rear suspension will be more efficient and less maintenance.

something like a vitus ESentier VR (quite a burly bike with reliable strong components)

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
The giant models are rated to 136kg. They are big and heavy but feel really well made and the motor is a beast.

I'm 113kg and my bike is rated to 115kg, my rear shock is on 300psi (Max) to get the right sag but can't seem to find a good rebound setting so like above be wary with the rear shock.

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
for a hardtail on roads and light trail use I can't see your weight being an issue.

The only reasons I suggest a hardtail is because you may struggle setting a rear shock up firm enough and for mainly commuting with occasional trail use not having rear suspension will be more efficient and less maintenance.

something like a vitus ESentier VR (quite a burly bike with reliable strong components)

Gary is dead on.

Don't buy carbon anything, stick to aluminum. Once your body is upgraded, upgrade your bike.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
With insurance and gas prices soaring where I live I've been looking into buying a ebike for my commute to and from work and hitting the trails when I can. I used to go biking all the time as a kid and I want to get back into it, This is as much a health thing as it is transportation for me. Problem is I'm currently 128kg and most bikes I see say 120kg max. I've been loosing weight (down 4.2kg so far! Woo) so I don't doubt that I will be under 120kg eventually. But I'm worried my current weight might be too much for the bike.

Like all the others have said, all manufactures have built in a good safety margain when they give weight limits iot cope with heavier riders using the bike at its extreme purpose. If the limit is 120 kg and you don’t do drops or jumps, I would not be concerned. If you want a full suspension bike go for a bike that have/can take a coil shock. For example if you can find an alu 2018 Levo FSR, that bike can take a Fox Van RC coil shock where you will be able to get a heavy enough spring, around 800 lbs.

Good luck and and happy riding

Karsten

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I agree with all the above. There is a good margin of safety built into these bikes. Manufacturers understand that people will be taking them off jumps and drops, and if you don't plan on doing that then you're totally fine. As others have said the rear shock you want to make sure will support your weight

Reactions: PGR

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
No you'll be fine. I'm 120kg and ride a 19 Levo Comp, 90% off-road. No motor issues at all, not even near the max pressure on either fork or shock, wheels still evenly tensioned and true.

SolePassenger

Mar 31, 2019
Langley, BC Canada

Thanks for the advice! Sadly here in BC Canada finding ebikes is quite hard, I don't have a huge choice in brands, I've never seen anything from Vitus for sale here, It's pretty much all Haibike,Cube and Specialized here, Ohh and Focus occasionally too.

SolePassenger

Mar 31, 2019
Langley, BC Canada
It was just an example.
what I meant was buy something sturdy with durable parts and a decent fork.

Yeah, I've been looking at the Turbo Levo Hardtail 29 or maybe The Focus Bold2 Plus, I need to get sized though, been years since I was on a bike so not sure if those would be large enough for me as I'm 187cm tall, Having a great time with all the product research though! :p

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
Thanks for the advice! Sadly here in BC Canada finding ebikes is quite hard, I don't have a huge choice in brands, I've never seen anything from Vitus for sale here, It's pretty much all Haibike,Cube and Specialized here, Ohh and Focus occasionally too.

Commencal has Canada direct store too. Might want to take a look at their website. They have a few hardtail models.

If you have questions give them a call or email. I've only delt with USA and Europe but found both to have excellent customer service and wouldn't expect anything different from the Canadian warehouse

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
i'm 114kg and have a Focus Jam2. Yes I have the shocks pumped up close to max. I have done 2100km on mine so far. Ride a mix of Road, river trails, fire roads, single track including "Blue, downhill" (Flow K , Upper Hutt, New Zealand is my local, check it out on youtube). So far I have not bottomed out either end. zero issues with the bike. just replaced Chain and about to do that again. What more do you need?

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Commencal has Canada direct store too. Might want to take a look at their website. They have a few hardtail models.

If you have questions give them a call or email. I've only delt with USA and Europe but found both to have excellent customer service and wouldn't expect anything different from the Canadian warehouse
I was thinking the same not just because of the very strong spec you get for the price but also coil shock and easy to get the right spring wieght. Springs are only £25 approx so it’s not a huge extra cost to get the bike set up . You’ll also get a very strong quality wheelset that’s been properly specced for heavy use .
Agree with Gary re hardtail though if your mainly commuting , some road tread tyres like schwalbe big Apple will roll along well and give you the volume and comfort

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
are 800lb+ shock springs really readily available?
Good thought , not sure ,I think the 650 spring would do the job , I have a 600 spring fitted which gives me the correct sag fully kitted for winter with no preload at all , I can use my 550 spring if Iam running light in summer . not sure how much more that 600 spring will take with some pre load but there is plenty available on the adjuster . I think it would probably do 120kg ok so if wieght was reducing as hoped a they list a 650 which would be fine I think . It’s also quite easy to get a custom spring made
But as you say Gary a hardtail probably suits the purpose much better especially for commuting

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Pre-load is never a good thing kernow. it's always better to get a spring closest to correct weight with no pre-load as you have.
If I were in this position I'd def try to find the guy who does custom springs mentioned above and find out how accurate/straight his springs are and if happy with his work go for one (or possibly two).
I've had custom springs made in the past (Not because of being heavy but back when leverage ratios were very high and shocks were short stroke) quality ranged from really good to laughable.

Yeah. I do think a hardtail is probably the best option in this case

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Good thought , not sure ,I think the 650 spring would do the job , I have a 600 spring fitted which gives me the correct sag fully kitted for winter with no preload at all , I can use my 550 spring if Iam running light in summer . not sure how much more that 600 spring will take with some pre load but there is plenty available on the adjuster . I think it would probably do 120kg ok so if wieght was reducing as hoped a they list a 650 which would be fine I think . It’s also quite easy to get a custom spring made
But as you say Gary a hardtail probably suits the purpose much better especially for commuting
I do believe that you cannot be that general about how heavy the spring is as it relatetes to leverage ratios and other factors on the specific bike. I do for example have a 2018 Turbo Levo with a Push Tuned Van RC from TFtuned and they advices a 700 lbs spring based on my 110 kg fully kitted and the specific bike. My preload is about 1 1/2 turn and just perfect. Much more preload and one will totally ruin the nimble feeling of a coil shock

Karsten

Last edited:

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Pre-load is never a good thing kernow. it's always better to get a spring closest to correct weight with no pre-load as you have.
If I were in this position I'd def try to find the guy who does custom springs mentioned above and find out how accurate/straight his springs are and if happy with his work go for one (or possibly two).
I've had custom springs made in the past (Not because of being heavy but back when leverage ratios were very high and shocks were short stroke) quality ranged from really good to laughable.

Yeah. I do think a hardtail is probably the best option in this case
Official Turbo Kenevo thread - EMTB Forums

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I do believe that you cannot be that general about how heavy the spring is as it relatetes to leverage ratios and other factors on the specific bike. I do for example have a 2018 Turbo Levo with a Push Tuned Van RC from TFtuned and they advices a 700 lbs spring based on my 110 kg fully kitted and the specific bike.

Karsten

100%

rider preference, Leverage curve, suspension kinematics and shock tune (damping) and settings also make a massive difference to what weight spring is ideal.
The basic online spring calcs are just that. a basic (rough) guide. Most will get pretty close results for most riders though.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland

Specialized Levo FSR (Fat Specialized Rider!) applies to a few of us here but if you wear Lycra prepared to be bashed.....

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I do believe that you cannot be that general about how heavy the spring is as it relatetes to leverage ratios and other factors on the specific bike. I do for example have a 2018 Turbo Levo with a Push Tuned Van RC from TFtuned and they advices a 700 lbs spring based on my 110 kg fully kitted and the specific bike. My preload is about 1 1/2 turn and just perfect. Much more preload and one will totally ruin the nimble feeling of a coil shock

Karsten
I agree I understand all that , however Iam not being general , there is a spring listing for this shock based on body wieght and it’s been spot on for 5 of us who all bought these bikes , Iam only referring to the commencal models with the rock shock coil fitted , and the answer was , without complicating it too much for solepassenger who asked the question , yes you could have a full suspension ebike that would work ok with a 120kg plus rider with off the shelf parts
Here’s the spring chart commencal produce , the springs are available up to 650

BF7E7C71-77CD-4785-8C4B-5B44B1912C66.png

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think any decent EMTB will do fine, the main thing I would be checking, but our bigger brethren can probably confirm, is going with tough casing tyres, and a decent wheel set as these are the areas in contact with the ground and going to take the brunt of any heavyweight abuse.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
You can get an 800 lb spring for a fox van or a marzochi bomber (same shock)
And theres a guy on facebook will make you whatever you want, cant remember his name but he can be contacted through berkshire cycles

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
F

First off well done on already losing weight, I myself 12 months ago weighed 143 kg, I bought a specialized Rockhopper rode that until I got to 125kg then bought a LEVO HT then got down to 110kg then bought 19 levo fsr now I'm 103kg , the recommended weight like you said is 120kg but I rode mine 5 kg over that. NO ISSUES AT ALL .. You will lose weight rapidly so you won't always be 128kg!! Just do it you'll ride longer, further burn more calories.

Darcy

Nov 23, 2018
Watford
Representing the gravity inclined rider group. I am 140kg and ride a 2019 turbo levo sworks. I absolutely love this bike, ride mainly in my local brideleway and some trails but take it to swingly or south wales with no probs. I am max 350psi on the rear shock but that gets me 35% sag and all the travel to ride what I can and it could go harder if my courage allowed. I am more red than black run. As with my other stumpy's I have blown one spoke nipple so far which I can't be certain is due to a big hit or a rock. No worries at all for your weight. See you on the trails and you will know its me when you hear a large bloke shout fat b*astard coming through on the way down and thanks to an e-bike you don't pass me on the way up anymore ha ha.

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester

I'm not far off your weight and my Powerfly 7 has no issues. Stick to a decent make and no rear suspension and you'll be fine. I'm almost 1000 miles on mine and its fantastic. Once you start the weight will start to drop off you. all the best ???

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles