Alternative Grease for servicing the CX seal.

leverleg

Sep 16, 2018
britain
hi

I have the tools now to service this seal and want to get used to doing it to prolong the life of my motor.

I can't buy the Bosch official grease without spending 20 quid on delivery. The grease is 8 quid!!. tried a few sites all the same.

What type of alternate grease can I get that will do the job? I am pretty clueless about all this stuff but enjoying becoming more mechanical.

thanks for your help fellow emtb pals.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Pretty much any normal thick bearing grease. Same stuff you’d use for headsets, seat tubes etc. Go to your local shop and buy the cheapest grease they sell thats designed for bikes. Just avoid thin/spray greases that youd use on levers, forks etc.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
IMG_3379.jpg

Decant it into a syringe to make it easier to apply.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Pretty much any normal thick bearing grease. Same stuff you’d use for headsets, seat tubes etc. Go to your local shop and buy the cheapest grease they sell thats designed for bikes. Just avoid thin/spray greases that youd use on levers, forks etc.
The grease is to go outside the bearing and repel water so it must be a grease capable of that job. Normal grease will emulsify with water and allow water to pass through. Most silicone based greases will work and probably the Pro RG2 mentioned above.
I do stock a cheaper alternative to the Bosch version if you want virtually the same stuff Bosch use but a bit more of it and an applicator nozzle so you can do the right hand crank bearing easily.
https://www.performancelinebearings.com/product/150/

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Interesting point Bearing Man. All standard bike grease will inhibit water ingress, right? If it didn't, it would have little use on a MTB. But presumably lots of water will emulsify and wash away some types of grease quicker?

For grease behind the CX seal, my intention would be to regularly clean this area and re-grease, due to it's IP54 rating (dust and water *will* get past the seal). I'm also not riding through the ford on my favorite trail any more :)

So, personally, I'm not going to worry too much about which grease I go for. Because I'll be cleaning it all out and replacing well before it risks being washed away.

Please correct me if this isn't a good strategy!

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Interesting point Bearing Man. All standard bike grease will inhibit water ingress, right? If it didn't, it would have little use on a MTB. But presumably lots of water will emulsify and wash away some types of grease quicker?

For grease behind the CX seal, my intention would be to regularly clean this area and re-grease, due to it's IP54 rating (dust and water *will* get past the seal). I'm also not riding through the ford on my favorite trail any more :)

So, personally, I'm not going to worry too much about which grease I go for. Because I'll be cleaning it all out and replacing well before it risks being washed away.

Please correct me if this isn't a good strategy!
That is indeed an excellent strategy, if everyone was so fastidious with their maintenance, many problems would never arise.
I do have the same argument with many people with regards grease though. Grease is not generally a Hydrocarbon based product, it's normally a soap emulsified in synthetic or vegetable oil. But even if it were based on crude oil, if you see oil that has been mixed vigorously with water it still emulsifies and becomes part of the water. Marine grease and silicone greases resist this emulsification and therefore don't allow the water to transmit into the bearing.
Personally, I think everyone should throw their seals and grease away, I would then do a lot more business! :D

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
[Googles] Most greases have good water resistance, some are better than others. A few are bad (like calcium, sodium and silica based greases) but you just don't see those being sold as bike grease.

The 'cheap' bike greases tend to be lithium based which has 'good' water resistance. You're looking at £5 for 100g. Teflon/synthetic, with excellent water resistance, is more like £9 for 100g. After that, there's fancy expensive 'ceramic' or 'proprietary formula' grease, but they're variations on standard grease with additional ingredients added, for a quid or two more per 100g.

Not much in it really. As with all things, buy the one in the middle if you can afford it: It's better than the cheap one, and the most expensive is probably offering diminishing returns.

leverleg

Sep 16, 2018
britain
just wanted to say thanks again to @Bearing Man again I received my grease today thanks again super fast delivery and a reasonable delivery charge even to my rock in the sea.

some really helpful people on this forum (y). Hope I make it over for a group ride to meet some of ya one day.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Good idea!, Would be very tricky but maybe possible? Unfortunately, this would force silicone grease through the bearings seal and into the bearing and I am not sure the Bosch grease is suitable for deep grove ball bearings?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Just a quick update for anyone reading this thread. Bosch have now released a new type of grease for the bearing seal. It's the same price but half the size! Hopefully it's twice as good (y)
Available here: Bosch bearing seal grease -

Bosch bearing seal grease logo.jpg

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
What colour is it? My recon motor came with different grease behind the shield. Not much of it, but it was definitely green.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
This grease with replacement seals has been available for a while from various EU on line shops and is on Amazon UK as well;
pic.JPG

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Just a quick update for anyone reading this thread. Bosch have now released a new type of grease for the bearing seal. It's the same price but half the size! Hopefully it's twice as good (y)
Available here: Bosch bearing seal grease -

View attachment 11439

Can this grease simply be applied just behind the front chainring on those silver splines where I remove leaves and debris from. Perhaps i could use a thin syringe to reach this area without taking anything off the bike?
When I gently brush this area while cleaning I do see a tiny bit of grease there. My bike is almost brand new (cx motor 2019).

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Can this grease simply be applied just behind the front chainring on those silver splines where I remove leaves and debris from. Perhaps i could use a thin syringe to reach this area without taking anything off the bike?
When I gently brush this area while cleaning I do see a tiny bit of grease there. My bike is almost brand new (cx motor 2019).

You really do need to take off the cranks, chaining and the seal to properly re-grease it. Just putting grease around the area will not create a barrier to water and it will probably wash away in no time.

It's a quick job, if you have the right tool.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
You really do need to take off the cranks, chaining and the seal to properly re-grease it. Just putting grease around the area will not create a barrier to water and it will probably wash away in no time.

It's a quick job, if you have the right tool.

Are there any of those c ring clips you have to remove also in the process?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Are there any of those c ring clips you have to remove also in the process?

You do not need to remove any circlips to grease the seal, no. Just remove the crank arm using a normal crank removal tool, and remove the Bosch locking ring with the special tool. Then everything slides off (pay attention to the order and orientation when you take of the rings, spacers etc!)

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Blatant plug but you can see the Bosch seal being removed here and grease being applied (page 4 and 5)

Attachments

• Seal instruction.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 753

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Blatant plug but you can see the Bosch seal being removed here and grease being applied (page 4 and 5)

As always, nice clear instructions.
I’ve already bought the Bosch grease which came with several black plastic seals. Just need the courage now and a few tools have a go at some point.
Bike has only done 250 miles (2019cx) however.
Only one muddy ride so far. It was amazing how much mud and rubbish gets caught around both sides of the front chain ring.
I just gently sprayed water around this area while keeping bike upright and used a plastic cassette tool to pick out all the garbage and mud both sides of the chain ring.
I really can’t imagine how I would ‘dissolve’ the mud away without sprinkling a little water around that area.

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I use a metal hook to rake out the twigs and dirt, then blow it clean with compressed air. But that's only because I have a compressor. But you're right, a brush and sprinkled water is the best you can normally do. If the seal is in place and greased you should be fine.
Also remember, Just because the cheap seals that don't really work that well came free with your grease...you don't have to use them ;)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ll try to keep the bike at a slight angle when cleaning so any water I use will drain away from the bearing and not into it.
From my limited research it seems that these motors are about as waterproof as an iPhone 6 (i.e. not very). I won’t be submerging either in water if I can help it.
Will be interesting to see if the Gen 4 is more resistant and also more reliable compared to the Gen 2. I’m guessing it has fewer moving parts.

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
I’m using the mudstop and the inner seal with the green Bosch grease. Although I didn’t get the wire at the time, so had a ? of a job getting the inner seal to go on. Not helped by the grease I put behind it. Ended up using a tiny screwdriver to let the air/grease out. Both are a simple but a really effective solution, I get a lot less garbage collection down there now and it makes cleaning easy. Nice to see the clear instructions are available now, should make it really easy?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I’m using the mudstop and the inner seal with the green Bosch grease. Although I didn’t get the wire at the time,

Sorry MB1, my bad not sending the wire :oops: Glad you got it fitted eventually (y) And your motor and I thank you for buying them.
I have done a little write up on the MudStop that you may find interesting now you are using one.

Attachments

• MudStop Test.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 840

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
No problem, really happy with the 2 seals. They are well made with tight tolerances giving good confidence that the protection is superior to the original. I’ve had quite a few rides now in poor conditions and the whole area can be cleaned with a quick rinse.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles