Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Product Image:
Bionic Plus protection vest.jpg

Product name: Alpinestars Bionic Plus Protection Vest
Price paid: €100
Score (out of 10): 6

Review:

Eternally in search of the "ultimate" protection .. I tried the Alpinestars Bionic Range.

The "Bionic" Upper body protection range consists of three products.

The Alpinestars Bionic Plus Protection Vest (pictured above).

The Alpinestars Bionic Chest Protector - this is the same, but with velcro attachable/detachable shoulders.

Bionic Chest protector.png

The Alpinestars Bionic Tech V2 Jacket. The same chest protector, but floating over a jacket with a different back protector, CE1 Shoulder and Elbow Guards and a few bits of soft foam in a few places to give you the impression you have more protection than you really have.

Bionic Tech V2 Jacket.png

I'll focus on the vest in this review, but some of the images above are relevant to the vest.

The positives.

The hard plastic armour feels tough. It's also flexible enough to not be uncomfortable. The lower chest sections are ever so slightly softer and are hinged so they fit around you.

The back is rated CE1 and unlike a lot of CE1 rated back armour, it does actually feel like it was designed to protect your back and not just pass the test. For me, it's a little short, but that seems to be the style.

The chest is also CE1 rated. It's worth remembering that the test for the "Back" and the tests for the "rest of the body" (chest/shoulders/elbows) do not conform to the same protection levels. Even a CE2 chest/elbows/Shoulders offers less protection than the CE1 back test. So you should be really wary when choosing your armour and not just be guided by the tests.

In this case the chest is comparable to the back. It's almost amusing that this is CE1 and the Alpinestars Paragon Pro Vest is also CE1, yet the Paragon Pro vest is a 5mm piece of flimsy foam.

In terms of real world protection, the Bionic range is the only thing I've tried which I think would have stopped my fractured ribs on my last accident.

With the two clips, it's also easy to put on and take off.

The negatives ....

This is it unfolded, normally the waist straps guide through the hoops in the side panels.

vest1.jpg

It looks tough AND really well ventilated !

But ..

If you look on the inside, it's nearly all foam.

vest2.jpg

Taking the chest piece as a closer example :

vest3.jpg

And the inside :

vest4.jpg

The first problem is ventilation. Taking the foam blobs .. that's 179 foam blobs and 28 holes. 15% holes. Area of ventilation is actually far less though. You have all the edge foam and all the foam area between the blobs.

Basically, it's HOT ! I tried it on for 15 minutes in the sun (30 degrees) moving show jumps around and almost died.

They say you can wear it under a jersey against your skin. Personally I found this very uncomfortable and certainly wouldn't want to ride like that.

The other problem is fitment.

I presume to cut costs, Alpinestars didn't use their usual sizing XS,S,M,L,XL for their chest/roost guards (A1 Plus, A4 Max, this) they've used XS/S, M/L, XL/XXL .

Even Alpinestars can't get their head around this and if you click on the size guide, it goes nowhere.

I went M/L as my other alpinestars gear is M and fits perfectly.

This doesn't. But if I size down, I'm getting something which also has to fit someone XS !

Alpinestars say :

Modular design means protector can be worn in various configurations allowing rider to use in different riding situations.

Side adjustable kidney belt allows for various fit sizes and ensures protection remains close the body at all times.

The first part just means that the top of the back protector is removable, so you can use a neck brace.

For me, fitment doesn't work well. The shoulder straps which connect the back to the chest aren't adjustable. If you put the chest protector where it's supposed to go, so it also protects your collar bone, the back wants to sit too low. It can't do that though as the kidney strap is not height adjustable on the back protector. It wants to sit horizontal because of how it's constructed, but it actually needs to come up at an angle like the one in the Tech V2 Jacket pictured above (which has no side protection panels).

I really like it, but to make it fit I'm going to have to cut it up and shorten the shoulder straps and re-mount the kidney straps higher up the back protector (which will be a total pig to do). This seems crazy for a new and "adjustable" piece of protection. Possibly the XS/S would be a better fit for me ??

I've tried it under and over the TLD7855 (which would inflate my body size). Unfotunately, I still have exactly the same fitment issues under or over.

The bottom line is, if you go for anything in the Bionic range, you really want to order several sizes to try or goto somewhere you can try them and buy from there.

As a combination armour, a TLD7855 with this over the top would give excellent all round body protection, considerably more than the Alpinestars Bionic Tech V2 Jacket, which is lacking in overall body coverage - but with all that none breathable foam, I'm guessing they had to strip it back to make it wearable.

The jacket lines up perfectly with the 7855's armour sections. For me, if I go this route I'll have to make the modifications mentioned and also cut out most of the foam lining so you don't overheat. I'd also cut off the side flaps as the 7855 side armour is far superior for protection, covers more area and is vented. Price wise, this and a TLD7855 come in at about the same as a Bionic Tech V2 Jacket, but has the advantage you could ride without the extra chest/back armour (this vest) and just wear the 7855 if you weren't doing any downhill. With the Bionic Tech V2 jacket, it's all or nothing.

If you already had elbow pads you like, but wanted chest/back/shoulder The "bionic chest" version of this could be a good match as it has the shoulders, my main concerns would still be fitment and heat.

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I’ve been searching for a hot weather chest/ back/ shoulder protection. This looks awesome but your review makes it clear it’s not ideal for hot weather!
Thanks for saving me time and money Zimmer!
Just tried this over the TLD7855 as a comfort/heat test as I do like the level of protection and it would be nice to keep it in the armoury :unsure: :ROFLMAO: .

Keeping in mind I rode the other day with the alpinestars paragon pro vest (CE1 back CE1 chest - though the chest is crap) under the TLD7855 and the temperature was 30-35c.

Today it's 24c - though the humidity is higher. I managed 10 minutes before having to abort and go home. It's crazy hot. My chest felt like I'd fallen asleep over the bbq.

Swapped out to the Paragon Pro/TLD7855 combination again to see what that was like. Had a good plod about. Felt warm as you'd expect wearing two lots of armour ! but not unbearably hot. It's sweaty as you'd expect afterwards, but there's air movement so it evaporates and cools.

The bionic is like having your own portable steam oven. On the bright side, you could probably slide a nice slab of salmon down there before you set off and it'd be ready to eat when you get back.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
This one looks like there’s more ventilation

I did almost ordered one of those as well.....

I like the tube chest protector and the adjustable waist clips , though only back forwards, not up down.

Will have a look for the insulation spec when I'm back in.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Just had a quick look .. Really liked the way the armour worked everywhere but thought it had been replaced with this (bionic) and the shoulder version (bionic) .. maybe not.

still looks pretty foamy, but maybe less foamy - I think I was also concerned about bulk !

a10.jpg

a102.jpg

a103.jpg

Uhmmm ... might have to buy one .. I haven't bought any new armour for at least 48 hours ...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Found a size chart !!!!! That's a miracle !!

a10 size.png

It looks to be more open on the whole, with some load bands in various places. They keep describing it as an exoskeleton, so I'm guessing it's more rigid in it's frame work.

Not sure how it would work over a troy lee ... maybe too much .. but then misses a lot of a little bits I like which the troy lee gives me for my many mini offs ! :cool:

Might be a case of wearing that with some elbow pads instead .. Food calls .. so more later ..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Some reviews and so on in here :

I think it's discontinued and was effectively replaced with the bionic and the A4-Max and the A1-Plus .. The armour shock absorption and cooling look better on this though.

From the reviews it sounds like it's maybe not that comfortable, not that well made, not the ideal solution - but is there one ? Quite a few people liked it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles