Article All new Orbea Wild FS launched

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Check out the great looking new Orbea Wild FS just announced by Orbea. Featuring 160mm travel at the front and rear and using the new Bosch Gen 4 motor paired with a 625Wh battery.

PRESS RELEASE:

No matter how steep the trail, how many obstacles in your way, how technical the climb or descent. Push the limits of traction and kinematics with a single goal in mind: to take back your wild side with the new Wild FS.

Wild FS is now more capable than ever. The power and efficiency of the new Bosch CX engine and internal 625Wh battery mean more uphill pedal assist, with an aggressive frame geometry to complement the climbs. Wild FS has also been redesigned with new kinematics, so no descent can stop this e-bike.

The frame has been completely reworked, built entirely with OMR carbon. Its weight, tipping in at just 3.5kg, feels even lighter on the trail thanks to the balanced distribution of weight, geometry and kinematics. And with...

Continue reading...

ORBEA_Wild_EBike-02716.jpg

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

“One characteristic of the bike that was clear throughout testing though was the knocking sound coming from the motor. Originally many of us thought the battery door of the frame was rattling, but soon we traced the sound to the motor. Apparently, Bosch is aware of the issue and is working on a firmware update that they think will fix it, but in the meantime, Gen 4 bike owners will have to put up with the knocking from an otherwise quiet, stable, and agile e-MTB.”

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Seems that it’s effecting all these motors. Both the Gen 4 that I’ve ridden had the exact same sound. It’s only really noticeable on chunky rocks when the bikes getting bashed about, but it’s pretty annoying if you like a quiet bike.

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Black/anthracite M10 on order, with the fork and shock upgrades ! Local shop (Sprockets in Kilmarnock) has one of the first test ones in stock so just had a wee look at it and was blown away.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Seems that it’s effecting all these motors. Both the Gen 4 that I’ve ridden had the exact same sound. It’s only really noticeable on chunky rocks when the bikes getting bashed about, but it’s pretty annoying if you like a quiet bike.

Let’s hope the fix reliably sorts the problem out. Pity they couldn’t have picked this up in testing.

Zoot Allures

Sep 17, 2019
West Wales
Really like the look of this.
Love my Orbea Rallon acoustic and this looks very similar in terms of geo / sizing / philosophy etc.
Bit wary of Bosch after previous experiences with a Haibike Nduro but it sounds like they've come on a long way since then.
Definitely on the list when it comes to replace my Meta Power

Ace Freely

Jul 31, 2019
Wenatchee, Wa
I would be hard pressed to accept the knocking noise on a bike....ESPECIALLY when I was used to the Brose...

...VERY surprised the noise wasn't taken care of in testing. Perhaps the Bosch isn't quite ready for prime time yet...

Ace

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I would be hard pressed to accept the knocking noise on a bike....ESPECIALLY when I was used to the Brose...

...VERY surprised the noise wasn't taken care of in testing. Perhaps the Bosch isn't quite ready for prime time yet...

Ace
Many would argue that the Brose is not ready for prime time given it’s poor reliability record in the field...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The noise is this noise, which you can demonstrate by backpedaling/spinning the cranks backwards.

When you are riding downhill or on rougher terrain with level pedals, you will be rocking the pedals back and forth slightly, and when they rock back a bit you hear the pawls or whatever they are engaging.

Last edited:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
The noise is this noise, which you can demonstrate by backpedaling/spinning the cranks backwards.

When you are riding downhill or on rougher terrain with level pedals, you will be rocking the pedals back and forth slightly, and when they rock back a bit you hear the pawls or whatever they are engaging.
Noise I have is totally different to that. Let me grab a clip

Edit - from 6:18 it’s an audible knocking:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Interesting, that sounds like something loose on the bike rather than the motor - on the Jam and Whyte it tried I picked up on the motor pawls if the cranks moved backwards but nothing else.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Interesting, that sounds like something loose on the bike rather than the motor - on the Jam and Whyte it tried I picked up on the motor pawls if the cranks moved backwards but nothing else.
Thats the 'Bosch noise' that I've experienced on both the Cubes and the Focus that have the new Gen4.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I haven't ridden one in true anger yet, wonder what it is, definitely sounds like a rattling or am I mishearing things? I wonder if its the slack between peddling forwards and backwards

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Is it just me, or does any new bike have to have 700wh minimum to be considered NEW age?

It’s just a number. Personally I think 500wh is fine and I’ve never been left out when people are riding with 700wh. Having said that I’m in the UK so I’m not doing any big mountain accents.

I don’t think anything is exactly “new age” right now, there’s just loads of amazing bikes to choose from.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I am struggling to understand how a clearly mechanical noise like that can be solved with a firmware update. Hopefully I will be proved wrong, but it seems more likely there would need to be physical changes to the motor to eradicate such a problem. Having said that I can’t say I noticed it on the Focus I rode at the w/e, but then the course was pancake flat with no real downhill sections.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles