Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
BROSE DRIVE S MAG.jpg

Smaller, lighter Brose motor announced
Hot off the heels of Shimano announcing their new E7000 motor today Brose have announced a new smaller, lighter motor. It is 15% smaller than the Drive S Alu and 500 grams lighter due to the magnesium housing. The current Drive S motor is used on the popular Levo and Kenevo, so no doubt these updated Brose motors will make their way into the new bikes, hopefully this year at some point. This could be the first real glimpe we see into an all new Levo.

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 13.09.42.png

This smaller, lighter motor has a significantly improved power to weight ratio. Riders will now benefit from an increased maximum power over an even wider cadence range. Brose are positioning this motor for riders who are looking for 'extremely sporty e-mountain biking'. With an instant power output to achieve a more controlled start on steep inclines and an even more agile EMTB riding experience.

brose-drive-riemen-technik-1.jpg

Brose also say:
In addition, this drive also features the new "Flex Power Mode". In this riding mode, e-mountain bikers can shift to a combination of torque- and cadence-sensitive support. Brose’s Flex Power Mode combines two new software capabilities – Cadence Power Control (CPC) enabling up to 30% more support at higher cadences and Progressive Pedal Response (PPR) providing a fast drive response when pressure is applied to the pedals. The effect? Instant power output for more agility.

brose-drive-s-mag-rendering_xl.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-07-04 at 13.12.41.png

Last edited:

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Oooh, nice! - don't suppose there's any chance to retrofit to existing Levo's..... ?

Topov

It looks like the same motor to me in a magnesium housing, yes lighter by 500g but we ride ebikes most of us can lose 500g by going on a diet lol... The new characteristics are just software and they will become available on the old motor soon as well. Specialized have been working with a 3rd party software company that we all know to get this right

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
It looks like the same motor to me in a magnesium housing, yes lighter by 500g
It is 500g lighter and 15% smaller. Thats pretty significant. Also, power is up from 380% assistance to 410% assistance. So all in, a pretty good upgrade.

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Although it does look like it has the same mounting holes/brackets
Not sure what images you are looking at @Stumpy but the motor mounts are completely different. You cant see all of the 3 engine mounts on the old ALU version but I have put a red arrow on one of them for you. The new motor looks like it has a lot more than 3 mounts.

Capture.PNG

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I see the water ingress is at ip56 on the new motor, does anyone else know what the present motor is?
I have heard there is still a problem with the currant model leaking.

The old 1.2 was the same. IP56, so I presume the 1.3 is the same as well.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
awesome! Let me put the translated facts from eMTB-News.de here:

- 500g less motor weight (now 2,9kg)
- Magnesium housing which is (besides of the reduced weight) much better in absorbing heat
- 15% smaller volume
- Two versions regarding the mounts: There will be a "weight-optimized" one with integrated mounts which will allow the frame builders to save up to another 500g on their frames. And there will be a version with drafted mounts.
- Improved service-friendliness with new bundled connections and easy access to those
- Light output voltage is now 12V
- New "Flex Power Mode" that gives up to 410% assistance (maximum was 380% before) and consists of two new software features: The "Cadence Power Control" (CPC) that will give up to 30% more assistance on higher cadences. And the "Progressive Pedal Response" (PPR) for a quicker and more sensible responsiveness resulting in a more agile uphill start up handling and a more lively experience on the trail.
- "Flex Power Mode" will only be available in the new Brose S-Mag motor cause the electronics in the Brose S-Alu can not cope the performance increase on the long run
- No changes on the Brose S-Alu for 2019

Last edited:

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
More details here: Brose Drive S Mag 2019: Brose bringt kompakten leichten Motor und neuen Modus – eMTB-News.de

Also about the revival of the Drive T, which could be the Specialized's 1.2E motor?
Thanks very much eFat this was just the info I needed.

Its a real shame that they have ignored the need to reposition the sockets on the motor to prevent water ingress. Why a sideways insertion? If they had just moved them 45 degrees so the sockets faced down then most of the water ingress issues would disappear due to our very good friend gravity....

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It will be interesting to see what Rotwild do with it, as they have the existing Brose paired up with a 648 integrated battery option on a couple of models.The battery Rotwild use Gives credence to the Specialized bigger battery rumours too.

ROTWILD Integrated Power Unit (IPU)

Ebike mag got 40,24 km / 1001 metres vertical ascent in 1 h 39 min out of the battery in riding fully boost mode!

On test: Rotwild R.C+ Ultra: Timid trail cruiser or an E-bike with stupendous suspension - We find out. – eMTB-News.de
B6B095B3-F00E-4460-BA70-21E8B56531BB.jpeg

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The battery Rotwild use Gives credence to the Specialized bigger battery rumours too.
Not sure where the link between Rotwild and Spesh is to give credence to any battery rumours. Fantic also use Brose and have a 630Wh battery but they have no links to Spesh either.

The ROTWILD IPU consists of a Brose drive motor and the battery unit developed by us.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It’s nothing to do with links to Specialized, is just showing that a battery that size is possible to be integrated with current tech into a down tube with the Brose motor

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Yeah, I see your point now you put it like that, but Rotwild, Fantic and Specialized have all integrated the batteries in their own way and I suspect the former two designed with larger packs in mind from day 1 whereas Spesh went for form over function.

Stumpy

Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
Not sure what images you are looking at @Stumpy but the motor mounts are completely different. You cant see all of the 3 engine mounts on the old ALU version but I have put a red arrow on one of them for you. The new motor looks like it has a lot more than 3 mounts.

@Kiwi in Wales You're right (of course :)) - wishful thinking (hoping) on my part I guess! Thanks for explaining it though, much appreciated

Last edited:

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
Believe me, I was getting excited about the exact same thing until I saw the side by side photos ?

Not using the same form of attaching to the frame on sucessive generations of motors is a bad move for customers and frame designers alike - unless it really makes real geometry improvments possible . Hope Shimano doesn't also go that route when they anounce a successor to the current E8000 motor.

I know brands expect us to change bikes every 4 years at the most but if we buy a eMTB and the next year a new better lighter motor comes out, it would be great to just be able to replace the motor. The same goes for future lighter and more powerfull batteries.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Not using the same form of attaching to the frame on sucessive generations of motors is a bad move for customers and frame designers alike - unless it really makes real geometry improvments possible . Hope Shimano doesn't also go that route when they anounce a successor to the current E8000 motor.

I know brands expect us to change bikes every 4 years at the most but if we buy a eMTB and the next year a new better lighter motor comes out, it would be great to just be able to replace the motor. The same goes for future lighter and more powerfull batteries.

full ack. Regarding batteries i have a collegue that has a 6 year old Specialized Turbo S (45km/h e-bike) and they have released that bike with newer batteries over the years, but the new ones (they've doubled the capacity) are still compatible with his old bike and have exactly the same size. We can hope they follow this strategy also on their e-mtbs.

Regarding motor - it's a shame the mounts have changed, but i guess with this new mounts in two different versions (integrated and "not-integrated"), they now have a good basis to upgrade the motors without changing the mounts everytime.

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
full ack. Regarding batteries i have a collegue that has a 6 year old Specialized Turbo S (45km/h e-bike) and they have released that bike with newer batteries over the years, but the new ones (they've doubled the capacity) are still compatible with his old bike and have exactly the same size. We can hope they follow this strategy also on their e-mtbs.

Nice that :)

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Ok, Firstly, please excuse the photo of my old minging motor before it got changed..... it was the only photo I could find with almost the same view prospective.

This unfortunately shows quite conclusively that we not be able to fit the new motor into our current ebike frames as the motor mounts are completely different.:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I noticed the 'battery to motor' socket has moved down to reside next to the other sockets so this might actually assist with the water ingress issue I had.

I know I keep harping on about it but I wish they had angled the socket positions downwards by 45 degrees to use gravity to prevent water ingress into the motor..... It rains where I live, and then it rains and after it has rained it rains again so it is a big challenge for me to keep water out. It is achievable but it means a lot more maintenance and this takes up valuable riding time :eek:

002.PNG

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
I still reckon an adapter plate could be made its just engineering and i know somebody who is very good at that. The big problem would getting hold of the motor

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles