Product Image:
20181126_142734.jpg

20181126_142757.jpg

20181126_142830.jpg

20181126_142910.jpg

20181126_142920.jpg

Product name: Airshot Tubeless Tyre Inflator
Price paid: £45
Score (out of 10): 8. Still a bit over priced but saved me buying another pump.

Review: Have just got my first EMTB a month ago I decided that I would like to try to convert my bike to tubeless tyres.
As the rims and tyres on my bike, a Haibike Sduro Fullseven LT 4.0, did not say they were tubeless ready so I wondered if it was at all possible.
Some web research seemed to indicate that it was, so while out one day a called into South Downs Bikes in Worthing and came out with some Bontrager tyres, rim tape, Stan's sealant and valves and my bank account £140 lighter.
Another thing that was bothering me was inflating and getting the tyres to seat on the rim. I looked at the Topeak Joe Blow pump which was around £100+ and the Bontrager version £99.
I felt that this was more than I wanted to pay so searched around for alternatives. I kept coming across the Airshot tubeless inflator, which is basically what looks like a modified fire extinguisher. There were also other companies marketing the same kind of thing. I also ran across ghetto versions using a large fizzy drinks bottle. As I value my eyes I didn't really entertain this idea although I expect it would of worked without incident.
So a visit to another shop Sigma Sports in Kingston upon Thames, saw my wallet another £45 lighter. (So EMTBs are another money pit)
On top of the unit is a Presta valve for charging it with air from a normal track pump (still quite hard work to get it up to140 psi with my cheap Tesco track pump). On the side there is what is basically a gate valve which is closed to pressurise it and open to let the burst of air out to seat the tyre.
There is also an adapter to connect the unit to the valve on the wheel. It can be used with the valve core removed (recommended) or with it in place (see picture with the adapter removed).
So the day came when I plucked up courage to try the conversion.
I stripped the old tyres, tubes and rim tape from the wheels and cleaned up the rims with some IPA (not the beer) and installed the Stan's rim tape.
Mine didn't look as smoothly put down as the videos I had seen and wondered if it would work. I installed the valves and pumped the Airshot up to around £140 psi, connected it
to the valve. I should add that this was a dummy run with no sealant in the tyre yet. I hooked the Airsoft to the tyre, held my breath, closed my eyes and turned the gate valve.
I whoosh of air followed by some pinging noises seemed to indicate that it had worked. Air was however leaking from round from where the valve passed through the rim. I removed the tyre and pushed the valve harder into the rim while tightening the locking ring and tried again.
Still a very slight leak but I hoped the sealant would live up to its name. So I added the sealant and the Airshot did it's stuff again. I rocked the wheel round while holding it flat to distribute the sealant round the tyre and rim and it appeared to air tight. I left the wheel over night and somewhat to my amazement it was still up in the morning so I repeated the the procedure on the other wheel.
That was over two weeks ago and the tyres are still up so I must of done it right.
Hopefuly the pictures will explain my ramblings a bit better.
So, the Airshot does exactly what it says on the tin and I have no hesitation in recommending it even if it is still a bit pricey.
Mark Burgess

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I paid £60 for the Airshot when it first came out and I still believe it was value for money! I always wrap some plumbers tape (1/2" white ptfe) around the tubeless valve before just lightly tapping it into the valve hole. And I always inflate the tyre first without the valve core. Then if I'm quick, I can remove the Airshot device and get my finger over the valve body and insert the core without losing too much air. Then track pump it up to pressure. I put the sealant in before using the Airshot because I have confidence that it will go up first time. The Airshot saves loads of time, :) and frustration! :eek:

I don't bother with "proper" rim tape; I use two layers of Gorilla tape instead. The bike shop at Sherwood Pines (UK) use it as their goto product, and after using it myself I agree. It is cheap, easy to apply, and it hasn't failed yet (looking at 2 years so far). You can get Gorilla tape in a variety of finishes, but my favourite is the woven carbon fibre finish in black. Nobody will see it but me, or maybe the next owner, but I know it's there and it looks really cool! :cool:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles