Ahhhhhhh the creaking is driving me mad

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I was going to suggest loosening the motor cover screws as I had the same issue and that fixed the problem but if you removed the screws completely that eliminates that

I did think the same thing at first as it is a loud amplified noise

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Th

That would drive me insane!, is it the pedal? My 2017 done the same thing it was the bearings in the exact same side pedal I replace the pedal problem solved
I didn’t even bother to ride today as it wrecked the last couple of rides.

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
I didn’t even bother to ride today as it wrecked the last couple of rides.
It does ruin the ride doesn't it! it's because you get fixated on the noise and you can't enjoy yourself, part of it for me was spending all this money and having a noisy bike! I ride with wireless earbuds to listen to my music every now and then I will pause the music to see if I can hear any noises I can't stand a noisy bike!!!

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
It does ruin the ride doesn't it! it's because you get fixated on the noise and you can't enjoy yourself, part of it for me was spending all this money and having a noisy bike! I ride with wireless earbuds to listen to my music every now and then I will pause the music to see if I can hear any noises I can't stand a noisy bike!!!

Completely wrecks the ride hopefully it doesn’t come back but if it does , thanks to this forum and it’s members, I’ll have a few things to try.

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
Completely wrecks the ride hopefully it doesn’t come back but if it does , thanks to this forum and it’s members, I’ll have a few things to try.
Good luck and let me know what the problem was I honestly hope you find it because it's just a pain in the arse!!

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
I've had the same issue, took a while to identify it.
See attached video.
Turned out to be the chainring grabbing the inner plates of the chain where the metal at swaged over the tooth, the teeth don't have the classic hooked appearance but closer inspection showed the wear.
Terrible grinding sound amplified by the plastic motor covers.
Replaced with a SRAM Eagle which has lots of relief on the trailing side of the teeth.

Chainring Wear.jpg SRAM Eagle.jpg

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Video won’t play for me, I replaced the front sprocket, chain and rear cassette they all only have 50 miles on them so far. I’d like to see that video though.

John Beedham

Apr 5, 2019
Lochiel, NSW, Australia
I had a mystery creak in my Intense Spider ...tried everything for months and months or was it years? When I was converting from 2X to 1X I noticed a barely discernible hairline crack in the 'nut' of one of the chain ring bolts. For curiosity sake I put it back together with a different chain ring bolt, took it for a ride and silent, no sound what so ever! It was the bike I always wanted! Nearly brought me to tears thinking of the hours i had spent 'chasing' that creak!

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I had a mystery creak in my Intense Spider ...tried everything for months and months or was it years? When I was converting from 2X to 1X I noticed a barely discernible hairline crack in the 'nut' of one of the chain ring bolts. For curiosity sake I put it back together with a different chain ring bolt, took it for a ride and silent, no sound what so ever! It was the bike I always wanted! Nearly brought me to tears thinking of the hours i had spent 'chasing' that creak!

I know the feeling dropped the motor three times now, I’m in hold mode now until the creak comes back

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
I've had the same issue, took a while to identify it.
See attached video.
Turned out to be the chainring grabbing the inner plates of the chain where the metal at swaged over the tooth, the teeth don't have the classic hooked appearance but closer inspection showed the wear.
Terrible grinding sound amplified by the plastic motor covers.
Replaced with a SRAM Eagle which has lots of relief on the trailing side of the teeth.
Stop pedalling and if the sound is still being made until the chainring stops turning you will know if it's drivetrain related.
Video here:

Also - My bike has developed a problem where the motor over runs for a couple of seconds in Turbo mode which can be a pain on technical uphills, anyone have the same problem?

Chainring Wear.jpg

SRAM Eagle.jpg

Last edited:

Levolized

Dec 16, 2018
Norway
Checked the chain guide not the issue I think I will have to provide a prize for the person that guesses correctly lol here’s a short video. Thanks for the help everyone.

It dosen´t seem to come from down low...???it also gives you the sound when you release the force of the pedal. Have you tried some teflon betveen the pivot- and suspension bolts? Could be enough with just one little sand corn finding it´s way in somewhere...

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
The CREAK IS GONE!!!!!!! Found it on the fourth motor removal. The motor was slightly contacting the right side of the frame and creaking when the left pedal was pressured I’ve greased the motor at the point of course tact and the noise is gone completely intact I’d say it is the quietest it has ever been. See picture below for the offending area and thank you so much for the never ending help from the EMTB Forums Community. YAY!!

02266E7D-C547-47B4-821D-81DB4AC388DA.jpeg

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Just listened to your video and mine developed the same creak only after a motor and case replacement. Was gonna take it back but it stopped on its own. Hasn't returned. Now I've just got cable rattle.

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia
Checked the chain guide not the issue I think I will have to provide a prize for the person that guesses correctly lol here’s a short video. Thanks for the help everyone.

i have the exact creak but not as pronounced. LBS actually replaced my CP under warranty, but that didnt solve the creak

Cleaning and lubing chain def helps...but nothing seems to get rid of it completely. for me, its only under uphill load. flat and stationary pedaling, no creak

Not the pedals/crank, have swaped with my other bike and creak is the same

Suspect is rear triangle

Not rear sus, swapped out the original shock for a TTX, it creaked with both

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
i have the exact creak but not as pronounced. LBS actually replaced my CP under warranty, but that didnt solve the creak

Cleaning and lubing chain def helps...but nothing seems to get rid of it completely. for me, its only under uphill load. flat and stationary pedaling, no creak

Not the pedals/crank, have swaped with my other bike and creak is the same

Suspect is rear triangle

Not rear sus, swapped out the original shock for a TTX, it creaked with both

Maybe you need to have the motor removed and greased like I did with mine. If you show them the picture of the place mine was rubbing they can check yours for the same telltale wear marks. Also have them grease each contact spot for the motor and frame and use the correct torque settings.
Does your creak show up when the left pedal is under load as well?

kungdog

Feb 27, 2019
uk
I've had a creak before on my roadbike, checked loads of stuff. In the end, put some more grease on the front axle. No more creak.

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
Glad you fixed it. Know what you mean about creak ruining a ride. I find any noise or rattle really annoying. My creak which manifested itself when cycling or just pressing down on right hand crank turned out to be battery related. A smear of silicone grease on the rubber lug at the bottom of the battery was the solution. Another one to add to the many solutions to creaks in this thread!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles