Ahhhhhhh the creaking is driving me mad

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
You might have said so already and I missed it but have you tried another pedal on it?

I do have another set somewhere but I noticed if I press on the crank arm instead of the pedal the creak is still there. I’m planning on lubing motor mount threads today instead of using thread locker as it says both are an option in the manual.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Today I basically disassembled and greased my levo, I removed the motor cleaned and greased all mounting bolts and cases. Removed all suspension components greased and torqued to proper spec with torque wrench annnnnnnd still there. I peddled using the crank arms and creak there still. Peddled without holding the bars and still there.
I took the bike outside to give it a quick wash to remove excess grease. After a couple buckets of water thrown over the bike to rinse it off I rode it and the creak is totally gone. I can’t figure this one Out.

Reactions: Bis

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Head set next, you might as well go over the entire bike.
Also another thought, loosen off the motor housing bolts a tad and see if the creak goes then at least you will isolate the source. I had a troublesome motor bolt, didn't matter how much I greased it, it still creaked.
Lastly the top motor bolt has a rubber insert inside the frame that sits on top of the motor, this rubber insert could be creaking when touching the motor.
Take the bolt completely out and spray some WD40 down the hole to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Any help greatly appreciated. I have a 2018 carbon expert that this year has developed a creak when it gets dirty. As soon as I ride through any moisture or dirt the creaks starts and won’t stop until the bike has been washed. It creaks whenever a diary amount of pressure is applied to the left pedal. I removed the motor and greased every bolt in sight and re torqued them and nothing helps only washing. Anyone else had a similar issue or found a fix or clue as to what might creak like this?

Thanks in advance
I’m sure as soon as the bike drys out the creak will be back in full force thank you everyone for trying to figure it out, there’s a great sense for community on this forum.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Rubber insert I’ve never seen an insert just metal mount, does anyone have a picture by chance?

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Head set next, you might as well go over the entire bike.
Also another thought, loosen off the motor housing bolts a tad and see if the creak goes then at least you will isolate the source. I had a troublesome motor bolt, didn't matter how much I greased it, it still creaked.
Lastly the top motor bolt has a rubber insert inside the frame that sits on top of the motor, this rubber insert could be creaking when touching the motor.
Take the bolt completely out and spray some WD40 down the hole to see if that makes a difference.

Rubber insert didn’t see that anywhere??

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
On my 2018 it was like a small rubberised block that sat between the top of the motor and the frame, the top mounting bolt went right through it.
So what I'm thinking is that if you are greasing the bolt and putting it back in the rubberised part may still be dry and squeak on either the motor or frame. If you spray in a WD40 or similar it will make sure this is not happening.

dreads6

Mar 25, 2019
United Kingdom
Yeah i think you need to start trying to eliminate things one by one so like they guy above said start with trying a different pedal then if you have any buddies with levos try their left side crank arm on your bike....then if its still there i'd personally drop the motor out and try pressing on the pedals without the motor & battery in place and so on..... i'm keen to know what is causing this will keep an eye on here good luck!

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Yeah i think you need to start trying to eliminate things one by one so like they guy above said start with trying a different pedal then if you have any buddies with levos try their left side crank arm on your bike....then if its still there i'd personally drop the motor out and try pressing on the pedals without the motor & battery in place and so on..... i'm keen to know what is causing this will keep an eye on here good luck!

I’ve had the motor out twice now and pedals, crank arms all greased and torqued to factory spec.

Webike

E*POWAH Master
Dec 13, 2018
San Luis Obispo County
If Water is the "solution", try washing only one pivot point at a time or spraying something like WD40 on each joint and see what happens. Since plastic does flex under load, I'd have left off the plastic motor surround to see if the noise emanated from there which would also relate to the post by Rider Care noting the rub friction area.
Pain in the arse but better than continuing to disassemble the bike/motor...just a thought and good luck.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
If Water is the "solution", try washing only one pivot point at a time or spraying something like WD40 on each joint and see what happens. Since plastic does flex under load, I'd have left off the plastic motor surround to see if the noise emanated from there which would also relate to the post by Rider Care noting the rub friction area.
Pain in the arse but better than continuing to disassemble the bike/motor...just a thought and good luck.

I took all the plastic guard bolt out and the creak persisted, I do like the idea of controlled water to find the creak. Now I have to wait for it to start before I can find it lol.

Chris6

Apr 4, 2019
South west
I do have another set somewhere but I noticed if I press on the crank arm instead of the pedal the creak is still there. I’m planning on lubing motor mount threads today instead of using thread locker as it says both are an option in the manual.
As someone has said check / lube rear swingarm mountings . When you are pressing on the crank it could be causing a twisting in the bottom bracket area of the frame which could transmit to noise in mounts.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
As someone has said check / lube rear swingarm mountings . When you are pressing on the crank it could be causing a twisting in the bottom bracket area of the frame which could transmit to noise in mounts.

Had them out yesterday greased washers and swing arm pivot

TommyBall

Feb 12, 2019
Edinburgh
Had a horrible squeak/creaking and I thought it was from the rear shock or the frame but it turned out to be the seat removed cleaned and refitted thankfully sorted. It did go away when wet. Don't know if that helps...

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Had a horrible squeak/creaking and I thought it was from the rear shock or the frame but it turned out to be the seat removed cleaned and refitted thankfully sorted. It did go away when wet. Don't know if that helps...

I’ve done the seat post but not the saddle I’ll look into that as soon as the creak come back thanks.

Sep 4, 2018
$Commercial69
My Levo had the worlds worst creak when peddling, took ages to solve but solution is not really greasing the bolts, you need to grease the mounting lugs, where the motor touches the frame.
Turned upside down, it’s easy to do and no need to disconnect any wires but beware, the little nut on the back of the chain guide isn’t captive and will fall into the frame. Make sure you have a screw in that before wiggling a loose motor.
FYI, I also recently had the mother of noises over bumps. Checked everything, adjusted headset again, lubed everything again etc, turned out to be the stealth tool under the top tube was in upside down.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
My Levo had the worlds worst creak when peddling, took ages to solve but solution is not really greasing the bolts, you need to grease the mounting lugs, where the motor touches the frame.
Turned upside down, it’s easy to do and no need to disconnect any wires but beware, the little nut on the back of the chain guide isn’t captive and will fall into the frame. Make sure you have a screw in that before wiggling a loose motor.
FYI, I also recently had the mother of noises over bumps. Checked everything, adjusted headset again, lubed everything again etc, turned out to be the stealth tool under the top tube was in upside down.

Thank you

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
I would not be applying WD40 to anywhere, especially suspension joints. However you could apply water to each joint individually to eliminate that joint. -- the water will evaporate.

When it's creaking again:
- try eliminating saddle and dropper post by not holding or sitting on saddle.
- try eliminating torque related stress by putting weight on pedal when it's at bottom of stroke.
- try eliminating crank and peddle by pushing on crank shaft. *
- try eliminating above items and motor by pushing on frame above motor or on chain stay. *

* include some sideways force; stand beside your bike, hold handlebar grip and lean bike away from you as you apply force with your foot.

- try applying a side force only so that the suspension doesn't move. If this creaks, some how eliminate the rear suspension entirely by keeping rear end off the ground. For example, bike on its side resting on right peddle (at top of stroke).

If the creak appears to be coming from motor area, try flexing frame and suspension with motor removed to be sure that it is coming from motor area.

Listening to your video, it sounds like a suspension pivot or a frame crack.

Last edited:

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I would not be applying WD40 to anywhere, especially suspension joints. However you could apply water to each joint individually to eliminate that joint. -- the water will evaporate.

When it's creaking again:
- try eliminating saddle and dropper post by not holding or sitting on saddle.
- try eliminating torque related stress by putting weight on pedal when it's at bottom of stroke.
- try eliminating crank and peddle by pushing on crank shaft. *
- try eliminating above items and motor by pushing on frame above motor or on chain stay. *

* include some sideways force; stand beside your bike, hold handlebar grip and lean bike away from you as you apply force with your foot.

- try applying a side force only so that the suspension doesn't move. If this creaks, some how eliminate the rear suspension entirely by keeping rear end off the ground. For example, bike on its side resting on right peddle (at top of stroke).

If the creak appears to be coming from motor area, try flexing frame and suspension with motor removed to be sure that it is coming from motor area.

Listening to your video, it sounds like a suspension pivot or a frame crack.
If it were a frame crack would it go away totally when washed even 24 hours later it’s silent still.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
After my last post, sometime later, I was reflecting on that and thinking I shouldn't had said that bit "or a frame crack". I really don't know.

Cheers was re thinking getting into the hobby lol appreciated.

TommyBall

Feb 12, 2019
Edinburgh
Just sorting my bike for tomorrow. As we all do... you know the touching of the bike and the looking.

Noise was back and it was the seat post. I have the fusion X with the spacer but it just needed cleaning. Back to touching.

Dpca10

Dec 20, 2018
USA
Did you try the tape fix above specialized mentioned? I didn’t see if you tried that. Finally replacing the frame bearings is a possibility. I haven’t looked into how many there are but it’s a huge upgrade if you do it. A bearing press kit is an investment but new bearings and a shock service makes a bike feel brand new again.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Did you try the tape fix above specialized mentioned? I didn’t see if you tried that. Finally replacing the frame bearings is a possibility. I haven’t looked into how many there are but it’s a huge upgrade if you do it. A bearing press kit is an investment but new bearings and a shock service makes a bike feel brand new again.

Yes I tried that when they first suggested it and it didn’t help unfortunately, I left the tape on there. The creak seems to be coming from the motor area so at this point when it returns I’ll be looking into the rubber piece that a couple of owners mentioned that sits between the upper motor bolt ( by the water cage) and the motor. I know mine doesn’t have anything there unless it was stick to the frame in the inside of the frame.

Ross1137

Sep 8, 2018
Australia
I’ve pressed on the crank arm eliminating the pedals and still creaks took all the screws out of the side covers and still there took shock off re torqued and still there. Took all motor bolts out and lubed and lock threaded torqued still there. Lifted the front end off the ground and it still creaks lol
I was going to suggest loosening the motor cover screws as I had the same issue and that fixed the problem but if you removed the screws completely that eliminates that

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles