• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Adding a GPS to your Bike (E8000)

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
Hey, has anyone added a dedicated GPS to their bike?

I'm thinking of the ones that people use in cars and motorbikes that hook up to the battery and also have a dedicated battery.

I think the E8000 has a 6 volt connection for a light but I'd like to use it for the GPS. However, I can't seem to find one that is less than 8 volt. I'm wondering if these will still work with only a 6 volt connection or they'll never charge the dedicated battery properly.

Cheers.

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I'm not sure I've seen anyone do this but maybe due to the size of a car GPS.

The largest GPS unit I've seen ppl use on their bike is a Garmin Oregon.

Otherwise Garmin makes cycle specific GPS units that might be better geared towards MTB. Take a look at their website.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Why would you want to do this?
Considering most cycle GPS devices run for 8+ hours on a single charge and most Emtb batteries have a range of about 4 hours max (even then it's pushing it)

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
if you really want to have a multi-function GPS (car navigation, bike navigation and detailed Topo maps), go for one of the Garmin Handhelds... they do a pretty good job. Oregon runs 15 hours on rechargeable AA's. Of course, it's always going to be a compromise. Dedicated bike units have more bike-oriented functions, just as Car Satnavs are geared towards navigation (no heart rate, etc). I would never use a Car satnav on a bike.

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
Sorry, I should have been clearer in the first place.

I am talking about those tiny GPS that are used to track your car/bike if it is stolen. I don't care about maps and all that. It is primarily a sort of anti-theft device.

I think the Yamaha engines have GPS and allow remote disabling of the motor. I wish this was standard for all makes and models given the high cost of getting a decent eMTB.

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
Most bikes that are stolen are either broken up for parts (domestic), or sent abroad.
In neither case, the GPS tracker would do much good...
There are many such trackers available, even with decent battery life (send out GPS position by SMS once every few hours.
Doesn't add much to safety in my opinion - GPS is a very weak signal, if they store it in a metal shed or basement, you're already out of luck.

pollywaffle

May 4, 2019
cairns
On a serious note, i think there are companies that make GPS tracking chips for bikes you hide on the frame but they have a month subscription fee.
Yeah that’s what i wanted first but they were either out of stock or tied to their subscriptions or I wasn’t sure it would work outside of europe. Cheers

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles