• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Add external battery to BOSCH performance cx system.

Vaso1975

Feb 20, 2019
Dravograd-slovenia
Hello.
I would like to add a 36v 7Ah external battery( 1kg) to the bike( cube stereo hybrid, Bosch performance cx, powertube 500 ) , to extend trip for 40 % . Is anyone here in this forum who could tell me how to connect it? I'd give the battery instead of bottle cage .

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
There was a way to do it, with the Bosch dual battery system. Are you wanting to use a genuine bosch battery - or a third party?
Must be Third party, as there is no Bosch battery that I know of with those specifications.
I was interested in the Bosch Dual battey system, but as far as I know this is not available as an add on. So only available for manufacturers to build onto original bikes.

Also watch that you don't mess up your warranty if your bike is still relatively new.

Will watch this thread with interest. On the other hand, for extreme rides I just throw a second battery in my backpack.

Jan 29, 2018
Nottingham
Must be Third party, as there is no Bosch battery that I know of with those specifications.
I was interested in the Bosch Dual battey system, but as far as I know this is not available as an add on. So only available for manufacturers to build onto original bikes.

Also watch that you don't mess up your warranty if your bike is still relatively new.

Will watch this thread with interest. On the other hand, for extreme rides I just throw a second battery in my backpack.

As far as I understood - you could buy the bits to make it work, but its the mounting of the second battery that would cause the issue as there are no mounting kits readily available so you'd have to bodge that.

Bare in mind, this was my thoughts when the system first launched a couple of years ago. I have never had the will to actually try it.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
The Bosch system uses smart batteries that 'talk' to the motor and control system.
I looked into adding a 2nd Bosch battery to my Nutrail using a rear rack and matching Bosch battery. There is a company in the UK that offers to add a second Bosch battery using original parts but for £1000!
I decided a spare 300wh battery in my rucksack was a simpler and cheaper option. (I've posted the details on this site).

Vaso1975

Feb 20, 2019
Dravograd-slovenia
The Bosch system uses smart batteries that 'talk' to the motor and control system.
I looked into adding a 2nd Bosch battery to my Nutrail using a rear rack and matching Bosch battery. There is a company in the UK that offers to add a second Bosch battery using original parts but for £1000!
I decided a spare 300wh battery in my rucksack was a simpler and cheaper option. (I've posted the details on this site).
Thanks for answer. 500w spare battery is too heavy to carry in rucksack . Problem is if you accidently fall down ?

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
The rucksacks are made for that, and offer back protection. And the weight is quite acceptable.
It's the lenght that is a worry.

Yes, luckily the spare battery fits in the main compartment of a 25 litre rucksack I already had, with tools and spares in the front section.
Still room for Scooby snacks :)(y)

Vaso1975

Feb 20, 2019
Dravograd-slovenia
Yes thats true . But i dont know , why other manufacturers dont doit like focus with 2 batteries. 1 batterie(375) for just regular day ride , and for long trip you just add second batterie, voilla smart one .

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Yes thats true . But i dont know , why other manufacturers dont doit like focus with 2 batteries. 1 batterie(375) for just regular day ride , and for long trip you just add second batterie, voilla smart one .
I must admit that was a very nice thing about the cube. Meant for most rides the bike was lighter too. And I have to admit that the focus bikes look damn sexy with the smaller built in battery. However not being able to remove the battery to charge or store it was sometimes a pain in the bum.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles