• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Actual speed restriction

gunshot72

Jan 13, 2019
Rushden, UK
I’ve noticed that when my Shimano e8000 display reads 25kmh and the assistance stops my GPS unit actually reads 20kmh. GPS is more accurate.

Anyone else notice this discrepancy? And can it be fixed? I guess that being able to change the wheel circumference in the e8000 system would work I’m but not sure if this is an option.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
I know that with e-bikes in general when the charge drops, even slightly, the current also drops meaning that less power can be output by the motor. 5kmh does sound like a fair amount of difference between your gps and recorded motor speed.

There is a chance, as you say, that your circumference could be set too low causing the bike to cut off early as it assumes your wheels are spinning a tad faster than they really are. If possible, have a look into the app and update that info. :)

Last edited:

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
I have noticed similar stats with my Bosch powered Trek Powerfly LT. Bike showed 71km, Strava said 69km. I asked at the bike shop and the guy suggested that bike is more accurate (based on wheel and tyre diameter to the mm) while Strava is based on GPS satellites that are deliberately set slightly out for civilian use. Not sure that I buy that argument, as google self driving cars (let alone all the GPS based car navigation systems) are surely not that inaccurate.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
are you runnin the latest E8000 firmware?
the assistance cut out at 14mph (on the E8000 display)when mine was new. with subsequsent firmware updates it seemed to cut out closer to 15mph figure.

non military GPS isn't all that accurate at reading live speed at all as it only records points at one second intervals at most (3 sec for a lot of phones) and isn't very accurate in positioning anyway. (generally only to within 5-10m) Garmin their GPS sports devices are acurate to 15m

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles