About Orbea Rise torque limitation.

ThierryGTLTS

Feb 17, 2020
Belgium
Hi,

To my knowledge, The EP8 is limited to 60Nm probably to increase the life of the battery, especially for the range extender.
That's because the current is directly proportional to the torque.
So limiting the torque also limit the current and increase the expected life of the battery.

Internal battery is made of 20x 21700 5Ah cells but for extender I'm not sure because it's rated 254 Wh, it can be 20x 18650 3.5Ah (so to be confirmed).

Have a Nice Day

Thierry

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think it's more a hypothesis ....

He's suggesting the torque is limited on the motor to extend the battery life, but also to fit within the potential physical limitations of what current can potentially be drawn from the up and coming range extender. A bit like the Levo SL extenders, they're more or less at the limit of what can be pulled from them due to their battery configuration.

ThierryGTLTS

Feb 17, 2020
Belgium
I think it's more a hypothesis ....

He's suggesting the torque is limited on the motor to extend the battery life, but also to fit within the potential physical limitations of what current can potentially be drawn from the up and coming range extender. A bit like the Levo SL extenders, they're more or less at the limit of what can be pulled from them due to their battery configuration.
Absolutely right :)

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Amp draw depends on the 'C' discharge rating of the cells. Sure amp hours play a part but you could have a 1ah cell that has a 60c discharge rating meaning it could be discharged in 1 minute at 60amps

ThierryGTLTS

Feb 17, 2020
Belgium
Amp draw depends on the 'C' discharge rating of the cells. Sure amp hours play a part but you could have a 1ah cell that has a 60c discharge rating meaning it could be discharged in 1 minute at 60amps
But 21700 5Ah cells are rated 10A discharge nominal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles