A strange ticking noise has developed...

O'l Timer

Dec 28, 2019
kent
Gooday all. I have also just inherited the "creaking" on my 2019 Trance E-2. I also thought that it was most prevalent on my power stroke on the pedals and sounded like the crank area. Saw post that greasing the 2 motor fixing bolts possibly would fix it, but just returned from ride and still there. Noted that it seems to do it when I peddle the crank backwards as well. Trying to determine exactly the scenario it does it. Does it when no hands / brakes trailed / off seat / shoe laces tied / etc. Going to concentrate one area at a time to determine what causing it. Wernher appears to me to be in the right area with the motor fixings. Got in the garage to see if there are Aluminium washers installed and was defeated initially with getting to the front engine captive nut. Think I need to get L/H side motor cover off which is behind the chainwheel spider ring. This is held on the crank by an 8 lug lock ring. The dimensions of the ring are almost exactly that of a Park Tool BBT-18. Should get it in a couple of days. Does any body use this or is there another make in case it does not match up? But managed to get to the rear one. There seems to be a "washer" with a type of lug...not round...that I can not move. May be part of the captive nut assembly. Not sure. Perhaps Wernher could comment. Hopefully uploaded 2 picis. Dirty bike but have just got back. Many thanks for any advice.
giant1.jpg
giant2.jpg

MattK

Feb 10, 2020
Australia
Sorry to check in so late but yes, when my motor was replaced a couple of hundred kms ago, the noise disappeared and hasn’t returned so likely either an internal issue or the mounting bolts. I’ll now be ready if it reappears !

mine just started making a noise today , mine might be different, almost sounds like the Chain Guide constantly hitting every Chain Link ???

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Mine started ticking a few days ago. Only when under load and it is in time with the non-drive side pedal reaching the bottom of its stroke. Until I read this thread I had thought my pedals needed some TLC. Now I'm not so sure, but it's good to have such a varied range of possibilities to examine, most of which I would never have thought of.

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
mine just started making a noise today , mine might be different, almost sounds like the Chain Guide constantly hitting every Chain Link ???
It could be exactly that. Giants come stock with a plastic MRP chainguide at the top of the chainring. The guide itself is adjustable up and down. Check if the fastener got loose as that would drop the guide block and start hitting your chain links. That or maybe debris got stuck in there.

O'l Timer

Dec 28, 2019
kent
Gooday all. Since my post I found out what the "Ticking..Creaking" was. Have attached photos to clarify better. Seems that the motor is held in place by 4 bolts. The two largest, (charging side) secure the motor to left side of frame. The two smallest (chainwheel side) secure the "bush" that attaches to the motor in a very tight tolerance hole.This allows for any movement between either side of the frame around the motor housing. Any movement in the frame will be in the bush to motor, so if this is not allowed to move the connection will become solid. On my bike, the steel "bush" either end of the motor were stuck very tightly. As their shape makes it hard to get mole grips, etc on to pull the bush from it's mounting, I carefully used a hot air gun to try and break the seal between bush & hole it sits in. Then cleaned up bush surface and hole with emery paper and greased. Noise instantly vanished. I will be checking this after Winter and then before as possibly water getting in this area and / or Summer possibly drying out any grease. Common problem looking at the number of people reporting noise when peddling under load. Did check the head bearings and there was a build up of dirt that was another possible suspect after reading posts on EMTB.

Giant mounting bush1.jpg

Giant mounting bush2.jpg

Giant mounting bush3.jpg

MattK

Feb 10, 2020
Australia
It could be exactly that. Giants come stock with a plastic MRP chainguide at the top of the chainring. The guide itself is adjustable up and down. Check if the fastener got loose as that would drop the guide block and start hitting your chain links. That or maybe debris got stuck in there.

That’s what I hoped ... Unfortunately, I removed the Chain Guide to Test and the Clunking was still there ..... .
While testing , I pushed thru past My 25kph Limit and as soon as the Motor Stopped assisting , the Noise / Vibration went away ...

Doesn’t look good.... hopefully warranty ?

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
That’s what I hoped ... I fortunately, I removed the Chain Guide to Test and the Clunking was still there ..... .
While testing , I pushed thru past My 25kph Limit and as soon as the Motor Stopped assisting , the Noise / Vibration went away ...

Doesn’t look good.... hopefully warranty ?
Nope. Doesn’t look good... yep I’d go for warranty too if it was my bike.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Mine started ticking a few days ago. Only when under load and it is in time with the non-drive side pedal reaching the bottom of its stroke. Until I read this thread I had thought my pedals needed some TLC. Now I'm not so sure, but it's good to have such a varied range of possibilities to examine, most of which I would never have thought of.
OK what is it with ticking, must be a virus spread across the planet. I had a new tick on my ride yesterday right after I decided to lightly wash my bike with a hose and soap. I don't like doing that and it's really the first time. I usually do a spot clean with soapy water and towels and lots of air. I even ran my chain thru a cleaner and tried some new dry chain lube. I think my tick was the chain and will clean it up today and go back to my old lube, Rock n Roll gold. I also think I had a sound from the new m520 brakes but that seemed to go away. The bikes has been pretty quiet but have had lots of brake squealing with this new brakes and using the non-approved H03A pads. I have some Gorilla pads coming from across the pond soon.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ

It's hard to describe or understand bike noises through text! :) Worth checking the health of your chainring and chain. I had a similar issue when I put on a new chain onto an old chainring. The teeth of the chainring were slightly further apart than what the new chain could reach so each pin would catch the top the tooth before dropping into place causing the drdrdrdrdrdr sound. The noise would also be most noticeable under the more chain tension which is maybe why in your case the noise went away once you went above the 25kmh limit.

Another possiblility is that your chain may not be sitting correctly on the 'narrow-wide' pattern on a jockey wheel. I've had this happen to me after blasting through a rough section, very easy to fix, just spin the jockey wheel to fit the pattern of the chain.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand

MattK

Feb 10, 2020
Australia
Mine is in hopefully for warranty now ...

It is also Day and Night Difference...

motor off , Pedal... change gears , almost silent

Motor ON , the noise is there as soon as the Motor Spins ... and you can feel thud thud thud thru the pedals

And the Narrow - Wide chain line up was checked too ...
My Sprocket is New enough that the Chain won’t fit the Wrong Way ...

Noxiller

May 22, 2020
Germany
Mine is in hopefully for warranty now ...

It is also Day and Night Difference...

motor off , Pedal... change gears , almost silent

Motor ON , the noise is there as soon as the Motor Spins ... and you can feel thud thud thud thru the pedals

And the Narrow - Wide chain line up was checked too ...
My Sprocket is New enough that the Chain won’t fit the Wrong Way ...

Well I have the exact same problem and noise.
I also thought it would be the chain guide but there ´s no contact between chain and guide.
For me it sounds like the motor internals are missing some grease. Got my bike 4 weeks ago and I´ve done an estimated 2-300km by now.

I normally would send it in for warranty but I guess I can fix it on my own (and I don´t want to wait for ages for a replacement).

/e

After doing some research I think this could be a common "problem" or just normal.

Different forum same problem (slightly different as he is talking about an Yamaha but the internals should be more or less the same)

[video]

Last edited:

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
The good thing about those very noticeable ticking noises is that they are easy to show to the LBS, so they will fix it under warranty for sure. I have a random vibration that can be felt on pedals that happens only 1/10 of the time and of course whenever the LBS tries the bike, it does not happen :(

Nevada City Man

Jul 13, 2021
Nevada City, CA
Looks like I get to join this club. Just over 300 miles on my Orbea Wild. Coming back from my ride this morning the clicking started. Sounds like it's a cable slapping around. Only happens under load while turning the cranks, also happens with electrical motor on or off. I don't know that I am comfortable taking the motor apart shown here. Prob going in the shop.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles