• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered A question about lockout

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Do most full sus bikes have lockout on the rear suspension?
and assuming lockout was on, how would the performance and range compare to an equivalent hardtail with same capacity battery?

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
No full suspension bikes actually fully lock out the rear shock. Rear shocks have a high, high speed compression setting, which means they won't move under slow movements like you'd make when pedaling, but if you hit an object at speed beyond the threshold of whatever valve system they're using it will blow off and allow the shock to move. Anyone who has ever forgotten and left it "locked out" after a climb will tell you it feels very firm on the descent, but still moves if you hit things hard enough. Sort of hardtail-ish, but not the same.

I can't imagine it would make much of a difference in range.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A few weeks back the weather was so crap the trails were pretty much unrideable, so I did two laps of the lake using mainly fire roads, muddy tracks and sandy paths with a few road sections thrown in.

Both 30k laps were ridden as hard as possible.

First one with the suspension full open.

Second one with the suspension locked (set to hard).

Times and battery usage were virtually identical. A couple of climbs I was slightly quicker with the suspension locked out, a couple I was faster with it open.

I think it makes a lot less difference to performance with an e-bike than it would to perceived effort on a normal bike. Plus suspension design is a quite efficient these days.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Short version: don't do it. With modern suspension designs, there's almost no need to use lockout off-road. Even though most current shocks don't fully lockout (older ones did), it does place extra stress on shock mount points if you're hitting stuff hard with it locked out. Not nearly with the same issues that early designs faced (lots of cracked shock mounts).

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Short version: don't do it. With modern suspension designs, there's almost no need to use lockout off-road. Even though most current shocks don't fully lockout (older ones did), it does place extra stress on shock mount points if you're hitting stuff hard with it locked out. Not nearly with the same issues that early designs faced (lots of cracked shock mounts).
Personally I don't know the difference as I often forget. So really probably paying a fair bit more for something we don't really need eh

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles