A Little Help...

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
Hi All,

New Focus Jam2 owner, and what a beaut she is....

Just a few questions, that hopefully some of you guys have faced and managed to sort.

So I am in the process of going tubeless, the rears gone on ok but the front is leaking from the valve, these offset rims mean the lock screw sits wonky....

Can anyone recommend a specific tubeless valve or a workaround for this?

Also has anyone fitted braided hoses to their Jam2? The rear looks like it could be a pig and any tips would be great.

Thanks

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I had the same problem for exactly the same reason. Following a tip given on here (from @steve_sordy I think) I put a couple of windings of PTFE tape around the base of the valve before reinserting it. Leak plugged.

Previously, on my clockwork bike, I found it impossible to make the schraeder valves airtight in the narrow rims. A homemade gasket of Fermit solved that problem.

HenBogan

Jun 2, 2020
Sheffield
I had the same problem for exactly the same reason. Following a tip given on here (from @steve_sordy I think) I put a couple of windings of PTFE tape around the base of the valve before reinserting it. Leak plugged.

Previously, on my clockwork bike, I found it impossible to make the schraeder valves airtight in the narrow rims. A homemade gasket of Fermit solved that problem.

Thanks Graham,

I read quite a few tips on here and ultimately I used one full wrap of Gorilla tape over the existing (rim tape) and that seems to have done the trick.

I am now wondering if I should strip the rear and add the Gorilla tape to that one too.

I was just perplexed by the shape of the rim..... But, they were still up this morning so fingers crossed

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I didn't even know tubeless was possible with schraeder. All I've ever seen is Presta.

Both Joe's and Stan's make 'em. Plus a host of others. I prefer Schraeder. It's a far more robust valve without that weak bit that gets bent when I'm shivering in the freezing rain and in a hurry. However, as the bike is still under guarantee, I'm not about to drill out the rims just yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles