A Giant newbie here with a front wheel annoying noise question . . .

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
My ride is a 2021 Giant Explorer E-2 GTS. I've only owned it a month and have about 9 excursions of around 20-30 miles each. Mostly around my town and some bike paths too.

My son owns a 2020 Talon and when he rode along side of me he asked me if I heard the annoying metallic sound on his bike and he said he could hear it on mine too.

I thought my noise was coming from my fork sometimes bottoming out on our crummy pot holed streets.
He said it was not the fork. He said he thinks it's coming from our low grade component rotors.
I said maybe when I need pads I'll upgrade the rotors too.

Here is his response: I think it’s more than the rotors. The rotors mount to the hub. I’m sure the whole wheelset (spokes, rims hubs) are low end too at this price point. The entire wheelset is probably causing vibration. I don’t think new brakes will do anything for bike path riding. It would in the woods when you need to brake aggressively and frequently.

He also said this: I’ve seen 1 post where a guy describes the same sound but can’t figure it out. Next time you hear the noise lightly squeeze your brakes while still pedaling and it should go away. I was worried it was coming from the motor, but narrowed it down to brakes or loose spokes.

So my question is there must be others here with these mid tier level Giant bikes making annoying metallic noises over light bumps. And if so has anyone solved this issue?

Thx

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles