800e Brake upgrade?

MRe

Dec 14, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Not yet, but I have Magura MT7 set waiting for assembly. Planning to upgrade to Di2 at the same time, therefore this is waiting when I have enough time to do it all at once.

But I have been quite happy with the current brakes also.

Steven904

Dec 26, 2018
Oxfordshire
I swapped to Magura MT5's the levers kept failing (letting in air) but a bike shop in the alps fitted Shimano Saint levers and i have been happy ever since

MRe

Dec 14, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I bled my set of MT5's like 20 times (5 x front, 15 x rear) before they were ok. I do not know what has happened with Magure QC but I've never had this much problems with my other Maguras (been using them from -92). Currently I have MT8's & MT5's in use and - as said - will install MT7's to Merida.

Biggest dowside of Magura's are the levers. You can get good aftermarket 1-finger levers to them but it will increase the price unnecessarely. Now the MT7's come with 1-finger levers but MT5's seem to be still those not-so-perfect 2-finger ones. And for MT8 those "carboreture" 1-finger levers cost like 100€ apiece. What a ripoff...

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
Yes, you can use any of those, Shimano levers and calipers can be mixed. You can keep the same hose too you just need the short banjo bolt for Zee and 8020 to connect the hose to the caliper. They are not coming with the caliper but with the hose or can be bought separately for ~2€.

Nautonier

Nov 22, 2018
Melbourne
The cheapest way to do it is Deore 4 pot callipers (M520), which do not need a new hose, just the same fittings as the lever end of the existing hose. Just make sure you use the silver barb, not the gold one!

Same power as Zees or M8020s.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles