Article 8 Electric Mountain Bikes with 2021 Shimano EP8 Motor

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

Shimano EP8 motor has just been announced, here’s a top selection of 2021 electric mountain bikes that use the brand new Shimano 2021 ebike motor. Here’s the absolute latest that are hot off the production line. Shimano EP8 has more torque, 85Nm of peak torque which is an increase over the 70nm of the previous E8000 motor.

It’s also 10% smaller and 300g lighter. Peak watts are 500 watts of power. To add to the video, Shimano have delayed the release of the motor due to an issue – see towards the end of the video for the official statement, but they are stating that the motor will be out by the end of the year. I will update you as soon as I hear anything further!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was astonished to see that Focus have just bolted in the EP8 into the old frame and not taken advantage of the smaller motor to slim down the frame. If you look at the video from 5m50s in, you can see the bottom edge of the down tube shooting off and missing the motor completely.
Ugly. :(

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I was astonished to see that Focus have just bolted in the EP8 into the old frame and not taken advantage of the smaller motor to slim down the frame. If you look at the video from 5m50s in, you can see the bottom edge of the down tube shooting off and missing the motor completely.
Ugly. :(
It does look weird. I couldn't decide it it was some cunning protection flap or if they'd just left it as it was.. It at least looks like they should have fabricated a lower guard which lines up with the front sticky out lip.

Sean1.0

Aug 2, 2020
Kernowshire
Thanks Rob... nice to see the bikes.

"can't ride" the Commencal (Large) because it's too small ?.. seems a bit extreme, can you expand on that ?

... and what size was the iced coffee Haibike you rode recently ?

Cheers.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Is that like 30mm of spacers under the stem? Yikes.
8E7CF36D-D6A4-4AE6-96B6-AF3FDA46B205.png

JonasH

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2018
Norway
When do manufacturers start to ship bikes with the EP8 motor? Heard a rumor that shimano have stopped all shipments due to a Software upgrade that is not released yet....? Any knowledge regarding this matter?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles