625wh+ shimano external battery

Nickolp1974

Jul 30, 2019
Louth lincs
Will shimano ever release a bigger external battery?? Or does anyone else have aftermarket ones that fit?? I don't have big hills and great single track on my doorstep, that's at least a 2.5 hour drive so I compensate by riding longer linking as many bridleways as I can and on a good run I can just manage 30 miles but I'm left wanting more. I feel the 40 mile Mark would be ideal. So my question is what's stopping bigger aftermarket batterys either from a 3rd party or shimano themselves?? Don't really want a piggyback solution or the bulk of a spare in a backpack.

Freebert

Feb 4, 2019
Kasterlee/Belgium
I hope they will, but have a sinking feeling that they'll get phased out because every model of Emtb now has internal batteries. If Shimano doesn't release a bigger external battery within the coming year, I'll probably sell my Canyon Spectral:ON

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Post edited for clarity...
I hope they will, but have a sinking feeling that they'll get phased out because every model of Emtb now has internal batteries.
Agreed. Unfortunately focus group syndrome (note - not a comment on Focus the brand!) is at play here - everyone likes the slinky looks of integrated in pictures, but at that point you aren't living with the disadvantages (higher CG, trickier wiring, pack awkwardly shaped for backpacks, heavier bike due to additional reinforcement in downtube and/or costlier because of moving to a carbon frame, etc).

Last edited:

Luke0770

Sep 8, 2019
Maidenhead
Agreed. Unfortunately focus group syndrome is at play here - everyone likes the slinky looks of integrated in pictures, but at that point you aren't living with the disadvantages (higher CG, trickier wiring, pack awckwardly shaped for backpacks, heavier bike due to additional reinforcement in downtube and/or costlier because of moving to a carbon frame, etc).

Why would thicker wiring put you off a bike? I never intend on even seeing the wiring.
The extra pack is not ment to go in a backpack, it is stored on the bike.
The weight is still lighter then alot of bikes on the market.
The bikes are cheaper then levos, you can buy a carbon Focus for £3850, way cheaper then a carbon levo at £5200.
Not everyone has over 5k to spend on a levo.
Alot of the hype in levo is that specialized name.
Yes they are very good bikes, but you have to admit for the money focus are good bikes.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Why would thicker wiring put you off a bike? I never intend on even seeing the wiring.
The extra pack is not meant to go in a backpack, it is stored on the bike.
The weight is still lighter then alot of bikes on the market.
The bikes are cheaper then levos, you can buy a carbon Focus for £3850, way cheaper then a carbon levo at £5200.
Not everyone has over 5k to spend on a levo.
Alot of the hype in levo is that specialized name.
Yes they are very good bikes, but you have to admit for the money focus are good bikes.
I think you have misunderstood my post - I was not talking about Focus the brand, but focus groups - the practice of getting consumers in a room to ask them what they want/need from the next generation of product, then using that as input for design. Unfortunately it can give misleading results unless you are very careful how you ask the questions - the classic example is for cars where they often ask "Would you like your next car to be larger or smaller than your last one?". Who is going to answer smaller?! This is one reason why superminis in particular have got bigger over the years, and why after 10 years or so they have to put in a new (smaller) model at the bottom of the size range!

Re: the specific issues I listed, none of those were about Focus bikes either; I was talking about the generic differences between a bike with an integrated battery and one with an external battery of the same capacity. The Shimano motored Focus bikes actually suffer less from these disadvantages as they run the lighter 378Wh battery, but when you add the Tec pack that CG is raised up a fair way. The comment about the wiring was that it can be trickier to change the battery/troubleshoot electrical issues on an integrated bike, not that it has thicker wiring - take a look at the comments about the new Whyte for an example. Sorry if it was confusing.

PS - If you look at my posting history you will see I am the very opposite of being a Spesh fanboy. Having ridden one I can't see why people are prepared to pay so much for what is always a significantly lower spec compared to competitors, especially when reliability has been poor for everyone I know who has one. I would rather have a reliable noisier motor like the Bosch than an unreliable quiet Brose, but I guess everyone is different.

Last edited:

Luke0770

Sep 8, 2019
Maidenhead
I think you have misunderstood my post - I was not talking about Focus the brand, but focus groups - the practice of getting consumers in a room to ask them what they want/need from the next generation of product, then using that as input for design. Unfortunately it can give misleading results unless you are very careful how you ask the questions - the classic example is for cars where they often ask "Would you like your next car to be larger or smaller than your last one?". Who is going to answer smaller?! This is one reason why superminis in particular have got bigger over the years, and why after 10 years or so they have to put in a new (smaller) model at the bottom of the size range!

Re: the specific issues I listed, none of those were about Focus bikes either; I was talking about the generic differences between a bike with an integrated battery and one with an external one. The comment about the wiring was that it can be trickier to change the battery/troubleshoot electrical issues on an integrated bike, not that it has thicker wiring - take a look at the comments about the new Whyte for an example. Sorry if it was confusing.

PS - If you look at my posting history you will see I am the very opposite of being a Spesh fanboy. Having ridden one I can't see why people are prepared to pay so much for such a low spec, especially when reliability has been poor for everyone I know who has one. Quite simply I would rather have a reliable noisier motor like the Bosch than an unreliable quiet one such as the Brose, but I guess everyone is different.

Oohhhh I see now, i read it in the wrong way sorry matt!

Freebert

Feb 4, 2019
Kasterlee/Belgium
I love the fact my Spectral:ON has an external battery, because I take it off the bike after every ride to keep it inside the house, where I can also charge it in a good temperature setting. Also, my bicicle rack doesn't support the bike with battery, beacuse then it is a liitle bit too heavy. For me there are simply no disadvantages to having an external battery. But if the market decides differently, I will feel forced to go for the higher capacity internal models. I still hope Shimano wil release a bigger capacity external battery, as I am sure they will sell an awful shitload of them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles