625w battery - is it worth it?

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Hi,

I am toying with the idea of an additional 625w battery for my 2020 Trance E+ 1 Pro. Has anyone done this already and is there a definite 25% increase in range form the 500w?

Cheers

Hodgy

Last edited:

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Hi,

I am toying with the idea of an additional 625w battery for my 2020 Trance X E+ 1 Pro. Has anyone done this already and is there a definite 25% increase in range form the 500w?

Cheers

Hodgy
Are you sure yours is an X?

The Trance X e+ is new for 2021, and they already have the 625wh battery.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Ok so you picked up on my mistake. The “X”. The rest of the post is valid.
I wasnt sure, I wasnt hoping to be smart, and didnt want to ramble based on a wrong assumption.

The giant batteries seem to hold up well, so if you bought the second battery, and kept the original as a spare, you would have enough battery to long out live the bike itself. The good news is the batteries so far have been compatible-- I'm told the 2019 trance battery, will fit the 2021 X and verse visa.

The new 625wh battery is supposed to be the same weight, so you should get the same handling performance from the bike while increasing range 25%. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong... seriously.

It all looks good? if 25% greater range is worth the cash, based on your own monetary sensibilities.

argee1977

Aug 5, 2019
Bristol, England
Wouldn't even contemplate getting a 500wh battery with the 625 on offer and in the same size, only thing that would maybe make me go 500wh is if i wanted to put the extra 250 quid into buying a separate 625wh battery!

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
If they offered a 500wh that lost a few pounds, it might be interesting. I typically ride for some duration less than 1 hour requiring far less than even 500wh.

argee1977

Aug 5, 2019
Bristol, England

The options Giant offered recently was for an extra £250 you got the 625Wh battery instead of the 500Wh, i got the reign with the 625, i believe you can buy a Giant 625Wh battery for around 700 quid, so if you wanted two batteries, then it might be worth not getting the 625 straight away and spending the extra 250 quid towards a second battery.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
The options Giant offered recently was for an extra £250 you got the 625Wh battery instead of the 500Wh, i got the reign with the 625, i believe you can buy a Giant 625Wh battery for around 700 quid, so if you wanted two batteries, then it might be worth not getting the 625 straight away and spending the extra 250 quid towards a second battery.

Ok gotcha.

But I already stated I have a 500w in my 2020 so the 625 will be a second battery.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I bought the new 625w battery for my 2020 Trance E+2 that came with 500wh.
Someone said they weight the same, sounds like a bonus!
Should get it in the coming weeks. :p

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I wish they would make a 400wh with 2021 construction.

It would be 3 lbs lighter.

Then the gaint engineers could ditch the lead weight battery-lock mech, and the bike would be almost 4 lbs lighter. All the weight lost, high and on the front. Seems like a no brainer, and I know about no brainers!

Charge double and call it super something.

Maybe a thread for another day?

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I think that other manufactures shows that You can loss weight with the same capacity. Specialized 700Wh weight less than 500/625Wh battery from Giant
Agreed, but whatever tech they use to produce a 700wh battery, a 400wh will always be lighter, and cheaper?

400wh is enough for 95% of my excursions, and likely large enough for a 45 to 60 minute power stage, if one is reasonably fit.

I generally like the idea of an option for a swappable, light, low-cap battery for an hour of power style of riding, it would necessarily be less expensive, while also making for better handling bike all else being equal.

Last edited:

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
That would be nice, small-light battery for 1-1,5hr fun ride... but to be honest, most of people can ride with 500Wh and not complain about capacity.
I'd rather be affraid about stupid ideas to rent everything... just see what is happend in car market. f.e. BMW wants to open some options if You will pay monthly subscription. And I think is a matter of time, that some of bike company will provide that in battery, software, or motor power level, maybe extra capacity and performance for a small(sic) monthly payment....grr I hope I'll be wrong. Global companies wants to hold customers on leash ... and privat owners are enemies.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
What is happening is an increase in income around 2% and wayyy more increase in bike prices.
A company or more should offer a decent Ebike wich is RELIABLE for a decent price.
Maybe a 10 S with a 500Wh with 35 mm rims and a frame + fork that can take 3.0
This bike could be personalized with 2.4 to 3.0 according to where we ride and what season.
A bike that would not be obsolete in 3-4 years.
Like a volkswagon or a tercel that does the job, no frills.
Maybe a company would choose 27.5, an other would offer 29.
A company may go with 500, an other with 600.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
What is happening is an increase in income around 2% and wayyy more increase in bike prices.
A company or more should offer a decent Ebike wich is RELIABLE for a decent price.
Maybe a 10 S with a 500Wh with 35 mm rims and a frame + fork that can take 3.0
This bike could be personalized with 2.4 to 3.0 according to where we ride and what season.
A bike that would not be obsolete in 3-4 years.
Like a volkswagon or a tercel that does the job, no frills.
Maybe a company would choose 27.5, an other would offer 29.
A company may go with 500, an other with 600.
I think Giant is one of these companies, however like any other company, they obey the supply/demand laws of economic. E-Bike prices will eventually go down and reliability will go up across the board.
My 2 cents.

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
I think Giant is one of these companies, however like any other company, they obey the supply/demand laws of economic. E-Bike prices will eventually go down and reliability will go up across the board.
My 2 cents.
IMHO prices wouldn't drop down. Why ? Extreme high demand on the market and low supply, means that You can sell almost everything what You provide at all price. You are absolutely right, that important part of the price is external suppliers like Shimano/Sram/Fox/RS etc... but to see prices getting low You have saturate the market, and market right now is empty with breaked supply links from Asia. Some of companies try to start produce some parts/frames in EU but obiviously that will increase the final price, but it is immpossible to migrate such a big production to EU in a short time.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
IMHO prices wouldn't drop down. Why ? Extreme high demand on the market and low supply, means that You can sell almost everything what You provide at all price. You are absolutely right, that important part of the price is external suppliers like Shimano/Sram/Fox/RS etc... but to see prices getting low You have saturate the market, and market right now is empty with breaked supply links from Asia. Some of companies try to start produce some parts/frames in EU but obiviously that will increase the final price, but it is immpossible to migrate such a big production to EU in a short time.
Once we’re done with the pandemic, hopefully soon, I bet a lot of bikes will find their way to the back of the shed collecting dust and market forces will return to normal.
?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Economics "its elementary my dear Watson."

beatit.gif

Expidia

Subscriber
Jun 27, 2022
Capital Region, New York
I have two 2022 Powerfly models one with a 500 and another with a 625. I don’t know how scientific my readings were but I’m showing a 25% increase with the 625. The 500 registers 45 miles maximum distance during the first mile and both were in EMTB mode.
The 625 registers 60 miles. It does change a little depending on the pedaling effort I putting in though.
But that extra reserve with the 625 is comforting as I don’t want to have to push or dead pedal a 60 lb Ebike back to my car. I might be doing say a 35 mile trip and I turn around before I get 1/2 the charge remaining or drop down a few modes to gain extra distance heading home.

IMG_2107.jpeg IMG_2120.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles