6 month battery warranty on new decoy...

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
It’s completely legal........ The question is whether YT will improve things.

I’m guessing the new Propain bike with the Shimano battery will have a 2 year warranty.

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
It’s completely legal........ The question is whether YT will improve things.

I’m guessing the new Propain bike with the Shimano battery will have a 2 year warranty.
Please provide solid proof that it is legal?

Karsten

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Please provide solid proof that it is legal?

Karsten

I work for a global IT manufacture who supply batteries with a 90 day warranty. Plenty of other manufacturers also supply batteries with a >90 day warranty. I don’t have legal proof but I’m guessing multimillion/billion £ companies have done their reserch, including YT.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Is that B2B? As I understand it, the rules are different to consumer sales.

Reactions: Ren

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Is that B2B? As I understand it, the rules are different to consumer sales.

We’re B2B, but if you get your battery replaced by Apple it’s a 90 day warranty...

Looking at the consumer rights act, if the product is faulty after 6 months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time you took ownership of it. It all seems koshar, unfortunately..

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
Two years from Specialized and I had one replaced towards the end of year one at a thousand dollars a piece that would add a lot to the cost of a bike if it goes south.

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
B2B sales cannot be compared to end sales as it is a completely different animal. European warranty law is quite clear, first year they have to exchange the part without questioning. After the first year the consumer have to prove that the issue was there at the time of purchase. Specific parts are defined as outside warranty, like for example bearings, tires and brake pads. All of those are considered items being wear parts. An integrated unit that consists of BOTH electronics AND batteries are NOT considered a wear item period.

Karsten

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Batteries are classed as consumables so typical sales regulations don’t apply.............

You’re not going to successfully take YT to court, although I’m guessing there will be concessions etc. for, understandably, disgruntled customers.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
So it appears from a few facebook posts last night that the new Decoy only has a 6 month warranty on their batteries. Your thoughts ?

I spoke with YT earlier today at the Gisburn Forest Rolling Circus Demo Day, they quoted the legal requirement of 24 months, they also pointed out that in addition to this they extend it by an additional 3 years thus making the total warranty period 5 years.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
I spoke with YT earlier today at the Gisburn Forest Rolling Circus Demo Day, they quoted the legal requirement of 24 months, they also pointed out that in addition to this they extend it by an additional 3 years thus making the total warranty period 5 years.
That makes more sense having longer periods of warranty to build customer confidence. General Motors puts an 8 year warranty on their electric car batteries and charging equipment.

Mountie

Apr 29, 2018
Canada
After the excellent warranty experience I’ve had from Specialized I’m hard pressed buying my fourth ebike from any other supplier. Anything I had a slight issue with was replaced without question.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Perhaps they should update their own website which states a 6 month warranty on the battery.....

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Batteries are classed as consumables so typical sales regulations don’t apply.............

You’re not going to successfully take YT to court, although I’m guessing there will be concessions etc. for, understandably, disgruntled customers.
Don’t you get it?

The battery on an Emtb is not only a battery but also contains electronic. As a matter of fact in many BMS’s there are even an arm processor hence making it an integrated unit. Therefore NOT classified as a wear item!!!

Karsten

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Don’t you get it?

The battery on an Emtb is not only a battery but also contains electronic. As a matter of fact in many BMS’s there are even an arm processor hence making it an integrated unit. Therefore NOT classified as a wear item!!!

Karsten

Okay, but YT still only offer a 6 month warranty, I guess they’re wrong and you’re right ?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
I have reached out to YT and suggested that they should join and clarify in this thread.

Karsten

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
I have reached out to YT and suggested that they should join and clarify in this thread.

Karsten

Karsten

If you are in the UK (me!) then you have a 6 year warranty period on everything you purchase (it’s founded in EU law and written into our domestic Consumer Protection law). Obviously this doesn’t extend to things which will wear out with normal use. The integrated battery and control electronics are covered by this law (don’t trust me, I’m a lawyer). If the product is sold and imported to you from outside the EU then you could have some fun there.

Let YT respond or ask a question via their chat function. Either way, my XL Decoy Pro is going to get hammered and if something fails through normal use then YT will be held to account. I’m highly confident that they will fix everything and be very fair.

After all, the new Canyon Spectral:ON with integrated 700w battery and e9000 motor can’t be far from launch.....And they wouldn’t want to lose buyers to the competition would they.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
If you are in the UK (me!) then you have a 6 year warranty period on everything you purchase (it’s founded in EU law and written into our domestic Consumer Protection law).
You don’t have a 6 year warranty. You have an ability to exercise consumer law rights for up to 6 years after purchase.

However, after 6 months there is a reverse burden of proof, meaning that you’re required to prove that the goods were faulty when you took delivery.

So say in fact you’re at 13 months, something fails. It’s down to you to prove that it was faulty when you bought it. This can be extremely hard.

Most warranties now make it easier for consumers, especially 24 month warranties (which are actually not legally required).

Totally separate to Consumer Law, you have the Sale of Goods Act. In the U.K., this means that the device needs to be ‘fit for purpose’ and last a reasonable length of time.

You could argue (and reasonably win at court) that a battery that is such an integral part that failed at 7 months is not a reasonable length of time, especially as it contains other critical parts.

(I worked in consumer electronics and dealt with this thing daily including court cases where consumers had won and lost)

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
If you are in the UK (me!) then you have a 6 year warranty period on everything you purchase (it’s founded in EU law.

Out of curiosity, as you are a lawyer, could you point me in the direction where it is stated that the warranty period within the EU is 6 years?

Karsten

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
You don’t have a 6 year warranty. You have an ability to exercise consumer law rights for up to 6 years after purchase.

However, after 6 months there is a reverse burden of proof, meaning that you’re required to prove that the goods were faulty when you took delivery.

So say in fact you’re at 13 months, something fails. It’s down to you to prove that it was faulty when you bought it. This can be extremely hard.

Most warranties now make it easier for consumers, especially 24 month warranties (which are actually not legally required).

Totally separate to Consumer Law, you have the Sale of Goods Act. In the U.K., this means that the device needs to be ‘fit for purpose’ and last a reasonable length of time.

You could argue (and reasonably win at court) that a battery that is such an integral part that failed at 7 months is not a reasonable length of time, especially as it contains other critical parts.

(I worked in consumer electronics and dealt with this thing daily including court cases where consumers had won and lost)

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark

Rob are you absolutely sure that it is only 6 months and not 12 months before reversed burden becomes active? In Denmark it’s 12 months and I’m sure companies don’t give away more than they are obligated to by law.

Karsten

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Rob

I’ll not dispute your phraseology, I used ‘‘warranty’ to sum up what the Consumer Rights Act set in place. The Sale of Goods Act was superseded by that and makes that reverse burden of proof less onerous on the purchasers.

As for the EU Directive that member states were bound to adopt....i should start the fee clock ticking!

These explanatory notes should be useful for you guys on the continent.

Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Explanatory Notes

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Rob are you absolutely sure that it is only 6 months and not 12 months before reversed burden becomes active? In Denmark it’s 12 months and I’m sure companies don’t give away more than they are obligated to by law.

Karsten
Yes, in the U.K. it’s definitely 6 months. Here’s a quick Google:

Consumer Rights Act 2015 - Which? Consumer Rights

Six months or more
If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time you took ownership of it.
In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range.
Find out more about how to return a faulty item and claim a refund, repair or replacement from a retailer.
You have six years to take a claim to the small claims court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five years in Scotland.
This doesn't mean that a product has to last six years - just that you have this length of time in which to make a claim if a retailer refuses to repair or replace a faulty product.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
Sorry to make a Sunday morning all about the law ?

I’m off out in the rain to do what we should all be doing with our bikes ??

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
I’m just happy all my stuff has a 6 year warranty ?

Don’t forget you might have to argue your case a fair bit.

As Rob said, after 6 months it can be entertaining. But I would add, for a battery that might have a retail value of £500 (£1k if it’s Spesh) then rest assured you are starting from a strong position. You won’t get much in the way of warranty on a battery after a couple of years of regular use though. It’s a balance of fairness, reasonable expectation and evidence. Plus, by then, we’ll have little firms redoing the cells. You’ll have derestricted it, there’ll be a motor upgrade and can you imagine what the bikes will be like in 2 years? Never mind 6.

Brand protection, loyalty, the ability of a forum to affect sales and reputation are all worries for a business.

Only time will tell how well YT do in this very exciting new world we love ☺️

They are awesome in the non-ebike world, so I’m eternally optimistic. Although I have just sold a Capra CF Pro and got a Spectral AL6.0 delivered - so I’m really testing the Germans!

(The Spectral is 95% of what the Capra is and that’s just 3 years difference and half the price).

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Don’t forget you might have to argue your case a fair bit.

As Rob said, after 6 months it can be entertaining. But I would add, for a battery that might have a retail value of £500 (£1k if it’s Spesh) then rest assured you are starting from a strong position. You won’t get much in the way of warranty on a battery after a couple of years of regular use though. It’s a balance of fairness, reasonable expectation and evidence. Plus, by then, we’ll have little firms redoing the cells. You’ll have derestricted it, there’ll be a motor upgrade and can you imagine what the bikes will be like in 2 years? Never mind 6.

Brand protection, loyalty, the ability of a forum to affect sales and reputation are all worries for a business.

Only time will tell how well YT do in this very exciting new world we love ☺️

They are awesome in the non-ebike world, so I’m eternally optimistic. Although I have just sold a Capra CF Pro and got a Spectral AL6.0 delivered - so I’m really testing the Germans!

(The Spectral is 95% of what the Capra is and that’s just 3 years difference and half the price).

The Spectal looks great but how come you didn’t just keep the Capra?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles