6 month battery warranty on new decoy...

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
  1. The energy content per cell can be higher by ∼50% for 21700 compared to 18650. Therefore, for certain applications, less cells have to be built and used to deliver the same amount of energy.
  2. I do like that statement right there!

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...I just want a company to back their products so they are taking the trip with me not some internet company with a 6 month warranty on the most expensive part of the bike (battery).

...To be clear I’ve had non e components fail in the past three years like rear rock shock replaced with fox warranty. Dropper post replaced warranty. Specialized have stepped up the the plate every time and have won me over.
Glad you are happy, but the reality is that Specialized are pricing in all these warranty replacements for motors and batteries and completely avoidable things like the power cable issue. Also remember it’s not true that everyone is getting that level of service - there are plenty on here who have not had good experiences with their LBS’ on Specialized bikes, my local one certainly seems pretty clueless when I asked them about issues and servicing.

At the end of the day you could buy an equivalent spec bike plus a spare motor and battery from the direct sales brands like YT (and probably Giant too if you want LBS support) and still be up on the price of the equivalent Specialized. Not necessarily better if you don’t like to do your maintenance I suppose, but for those of us who do it’s a very good option that guarantees you won’t be without a bike if a motor or battery has an issue under warranty.
Now I want to order my road bike and it will be a Specialized Creo all the way.
The Spec marketing department will be very pleased to hear that - their work is clearly done ;). Just make sure you negotiate hard on the price; as from the launch announcement it looked like they had made up a number, doubled it then added 15%; even a Pinarello Nytro looks better value!

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
That’s awesome I hope they keep doing well for their owners but on paper it just doesn’t look good. I don’t have confidence yet so hearing positive things from owners is great. I’m only speaking about my own personal experience Specialized and they have been amazing. I’ve owned three Levos now and will keep in the hobby until I get bored.

A bit like a Bumble Bee?! On paper it shouldn’t be able to fly. In real life it is probably keeping all humans fed and alive.

I know those of us that did manage to get a Decoy are laughing our heads off on a rare and superb machine.

I always enjoyed being the only YT Capra on a hillside or in the forest. I’m the same on the Decoy. Twice I took the plunge, twice I haven’t been let down.

Third time will be when the Decoy gets its new motor/battery/name change.....

Because in real life they nailed it. Something that I’m about to do this evening as it’s still not broken!

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
Seems pretty logical, battery technology is fundamentally the same between the kenevo and the decoy, so you could be looking at 4 batteries for the decoy before you need to buy one for the kenevo.
I disagree with this generalization. Technology might be similar but there can be major differences implemented in the design of the pack that will have dramatic influence on longevity of the pack. I have no idea which pack is designed better of the two. While all cells are likely sourced from major manufacturers, internal pack design and design of electronic control can be very different. It is not clear why 2 pack in Kenevo had to be replaced. Electronics problem? Problem with internal cell support design, failed welds, thermal management, QA?.... the list is long.
So just because one type of pack has a high failure rate does not translate to all of the to suffer the same problem

FYI: we design and manufacture Li-Ion battery systems

06z

Jun 2, 2019
Southern California
That’s awesome I hope they keep doing well for their owners but on paper it just doesn’t look good. I don’t have confidence yet so hearing positive things from owners is great. I’m only speaking about my own personal experience Specialized and they have been amazing. I’ve owned three Levos now and will keep in the hobby until I get bored.
How many issues have you had with those 3 Levos?

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
So the battery warranty conversation is different now ?

It’s 2 years. From new. That’s going to mean all those Spesh riders will have to find another reason not to buy one ! Plus it means order times will then extend!

See the YT website then ‘Service’ then ‘FAQ’ then ‘e-mtb’ or search ‘battery warranty’

Good Times. Bravo YT.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
Make no mistake, it is far more of a bruiser than even the early Jam2 with Yari/Fox 36 forks.
You could neuter it by flipping the chip to a high setting and ride it with the shock locked out then stick Rekon tyres to make it behave like a trail bike, to do so would be like clipping the wings of a mighty eagle you might as well rip out its soul????

I mean, FFS mine tried to kill me yesterday!!!!

Witte300

May 13, 2018
Belgium
Now I’m confused, in another thread it seems that the decoy has almost similar geo as the levo and as playful
I push tuned my revelation and smacked a Öhlins coil on my levo to get it how I like my riding.
To me it seems yt already did everything right from the start :D

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
That’s the daft bit, you have folk trying to turn Levos into Decoys and others trying to do it the other way round?
They both are more than capable of eating into the others territory I just don’t see the point.

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
I had dismissed the YT as a replacement for my Focus next year on account that it was more downhill orientated and its warranty was questionable.

From what I've read on this forum, it's now back in the frame. :)

It’s way more than downhill focused. Flip chip really helps. It’s a very nice head angle and I ride trail/XC and mad downhill.

E-bikes aren’t quite as single purpose as a regular bike.

Plus look at the warranty! Lol ☺️

Expect delivery dates to be 3months plus though!

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
So the battery warranty conversation is different now ?

It’s 2 years. From new. That’s going to mean all those Spesh riders will have to find another reason not to buy one ! Plus it means order times will then extend!

Make no mistake, it is far more of a bruiser than even the early Jam2 with Yari/Fox 36 forks.
You could neuter it by flipping the chip to a high setting and ride it with the shock locked out then stick Rekon tyres to make it behave like a trail bike, to do so would be like clipping the wings of a mighty eagle you might as well rip out its soul????

I mean, FFS mine tried to kill me yesterday!!!!

Mine whispers to me when I’m WFH. It’s a delinquent trail junkie that tempts me away from my desk. I’m happy to say I’m an addict now. 500 miles + and no sign of slowing down.

Battery will need a charge soon too? ?

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
From the horse's mouth today at the YT Mill in the UK. 2 years battery warranty.

They have the same approach to Warranty as other bigger brands, if your just outside you won't be left in the cold.

A great step forward for YT in the UK at The Mill...

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
From the horse's mouth today at the YT Mill in the UK. 2 years battery warranty.

They have the same approach to Warranty as other bigger brands, if your just outside you won't be left in the cold.

A great step forward for YT in the UK at The Mill...
They still have work to do, increasing the warranty cover to 2 years is encouraging, what they need to be doing is dealing with UK warranty issues across the board here in the UK, having to ship a bike back to Germany does nothing for customer confidence and cannot be cost effective for YT.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
They still have work to do, increasing the warranty cover to 2 years is encouraging, what they need to be doing is dealing with UK warranty issues across the board here in the UK, having to ship a bike back to Germany does nothing for customer confidence and cannot be cost effective for YT.

It's always been two years, the 6 month thing seems to be a misinterpretation..?

The YT Mill is now open. All bikes and Customer Service is now dealt with in the UK here. They have made mistakes in the past. I think even they would admit that. Part of growing is learning from feedback and mistakes, and they seem heavily invested in this. I think what they have experienced is growing pains.

Spoke to one of the guys there today and he said in YT if you have a good idea, then go for it. Hence the YT Mill in the UK. Need money to implement an idea? Go for it. Big companies and less agile ones all decisions need 3 layers of corporate approval. It seems at YT they have listened and acted.

I would have far more confidence buying from YT now in the UK that's for sure..

Last edited:

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
It's always been two years, the 6 month thing seems to be a misinterpretation..?

The YT Mill is now open. All bikes and Customer Service is now dealt with in the UK here. They have made mistakes in the past. I think even they would admit that. Part of growing is learning from feedback and mistakes, and they seem heavily invested in this.

Spoke to one of the guys there today and he said in YT if you have a good idea, then go for it. Hence the YT Mill in the UK. Need money to implement an idea? Go for it. Big companies and less agile ones all decisions need 3 layers of corporate approval. It seems at YT they have listened and acted.

I would have far more confidence buying from YT now in the UK that's for sure..
Great to hear, thanks for the update.

cb700

Sep 11, 2020
San Rafael, CA, USA
I totally support Gary on this, from my perspective it is absolutely ridiculous that the warranty is only 6 months. A battery on a EMTB cost up to 1/5 of the total cost and in some circumstances the single most expensive part on the bike. Furthermore the battery is not "just" a battery, it is a integrated unit consisting of advanced electronics(BMS) and multiple batteries. What about if the BMS part goes haywire? It would be the same as stating that the warranty on a brand new iPhone is only 6 month as it has a integrated battery...........

I'm 100% sure that if this it brought to the EU consumer court they will loose the case BIG time.

Thrust me, the only reason why Specialized is providing 2 years on the battery part is because they have to.

Karsten
While I definitely have no interest in thrusting you, I challenge your assertion (unless you are maybe an executive in Specialized) that the only reason they provide a 2-year warranty on the battery is because they have to. Forum posts and reviews going back years lead me to instead believe they value their reputation for standing behind their products and offering a best in class level of service. This is important to me because I don't feel any brand of eMTB have yet reached a bullet proof level with their mechatronics.

BTW, YT makes some good looking bikes! They fell off my candidate list when purchasing my eMTB because they didn't measure up to my needs in terms of service and warranty. There are certainly many other riders that don't share my opinion and are happy with their YT purchase.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
While I definitely have no interest in thrusting you, I challenge your assertion (unless you are maybe an executive in Specialized) that the only reason they provide a 2-year warranty on the battery is because they have to. Forum posts and reviews going back years lead me to instead believe they value their reputation for standing behind their products and offering a best in class level of service. This is important to me because I don't feel any brand of eMTB have yet reached a bullet proof level with their mechatronics.

BTW, YT makes some good looking bikes! They fell off my candidate list when purchasing my eMTB because they didn't measure up to my needs in terms of service and warranty. There are certainly many other riders that don't share my opinion and are happy with their YT purchase.

I think now if you were buying again they would ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles