Review 5.10 Trailcross GTX (Goretex)

BBear

May 18, 2019
Bristol
From past experience the goretex linings of boots do often eventually fail, in fact I would go so far to say that they usually do fail if the several pair of walking boots and shoes that I have owned, all from decent brands, are any thing to go by. Part of this is, as mentioned by other, due to goretex being difficult to incorporate within a shoe without joints and folds which over time can fail.

However, I also think that especially with fabric shoes that over time fine mud and silt clogs up the goretex which you can’t get rid of and this allows water to bridge across the membrane. You don’t get the same issue with goretex jackets, unless you roll around in the mud.

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
With the addition of Gore-Tex you would expect these to work just fine , well they do to a degree the shoe part but under the laces and ankle it’s a textile neoprene material and if you ride through puddles on the trail this is where the water hits thrown up from the front wheel and you will have wet feet.
The part under the laces has the Goretex membrane.
Anything above the stitching on the neoprene ankle is not waterproof. Did you wear regular or waterproof socks?

Terence

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Ludlow
I wore regular knee length socks over water resistant jodhpurs ( some of my horse riding gear coming in Useful! ) i could get a reasonable fit then with the above ankle Velcro fixing. If the Gore-Tex is in the neoprene under the laces and around the ankle then this is where the problem rests ? I do like the shoe/boot to ride in once you get the right size ? but not the fact in my experience over the terrain I ride I ended up with wet feet. I revisited the Adidas website and looked at the “worse “reviews and there seems there are a number of people who have had the same experience as me who may not be part of this forum..

Zaskar20

Aug 17, 2021
UK
I wore regular knee length socks over water resistant jodhpurs ( some of my horse riding gear coming in Useful! ) i could get a reasonable fit then with the above ankle Velcro fixing. If the Gore-Tex is in the neoprene under the laces and around the ankle then this is where the problem rests ? I do like the shoe/boot to ride in once you get the right size ? but not the fact in my experience over the terrain I ride I ended up with wet feet. I revisited the Adidas website and looked at the “worse “reviews and there seems there are a number of people who have had the same experience as me who may not be part of this forum..
Do you think, as others on here have suggested, that the water could have tracked down your regular socks making your feet wet?

I am genuinely interested as I have a pair (which will also go back the moment I have a problem!)

Terence

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Ludlow
I assume some water may travel through the sock but most of the spray comes up from the front wheel and directly hits the front of the ankle and the laces which is where I think the water is getting in. On my ride with my 3rd pair of shoes there was less standing water when I removed the shoes the top part of my feet were both wet but the under side of both feet were dry so it seems the lower shoe part is ok. There have been some comments where the rider has stood in a puddle and they are fine which I can understand, I guess the test would be to stand in a deep puddle which covers the laces?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I’ve stood and washed mine with a hose when wearing them several times and haven’t had wet feet. That’s soaking the laces / tongue too - and just making sure I don’t get the neoprene collar.

I think my experience of soaking feet was purely down to water soaking my socks and travelling down from there!

philuk

Jun 22, 2021
North Yorkshire UK
I have a pair of these and went out on saturday.

My socks stuck out over the top of the shoes and i think that was the reason for my wet feet!

Although even though they were wet. They werent cold feet! I still take that as a win, Ill be wearing some short socks next time to see if they work better then.

TBH the rest of me was completely sodden to the point of freezing so i will need to invest in some other kit aswell!

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Just ordered a pair in a 9.5, hope they fit, usual shoe size is a 9 and my five ten free riders are a 10.

Terence

Subscriber
Oct 7, 2021
Ludlow
I have a widish foot normal shoe size 9 to 9.5, my Five Ten free riders are a 9.5 width just great but I wouldn’t want them any shorter. I ordered the same size in the Trailcross Goretex and had to exchange for a size 10 as they were too narrow. I also bought a pair of Five Ten EPS shoes in a 10 and had to exchange for a 10.5.. I bought direct from adidas online when they were either on offer or I had a discount voucher which you can get if you write a review. Adidas are so easy to deal with its a shame shoe and garment sizes can differ so much? Just need to read a few reviews for a steer.Good luck with yours..

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Here we go, they arrived today, have tried them on and off a few times as was a bit unsure if they fit or not. As a recap I take a 9 in a normal shoe and my 5 10 free riders are a 10 and have just received these in a 9.5. They feel tight (thick ish socks), but my toes have a little bit of room at the front and are not touching the inside, if I compare them sole to sole with my free riders they look more or less the same size, after much debate I reckon that it’s just the tightness of the gortex liner so I think they will be ok.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Here we go, they arrived today, have tried them on and off a few times as was a bit unsure if they fit or not. As a recap I take a 9 in a normal shoe and my 5 10 free riders are a 10 and have just received these in a 9.5. They feel tight (thick ish socks), but my toes have a little bit of room at the front and are not touching the inside, if I compare them sole to sole with my free riders they look more or less the same size, after much debate I reckon that it’s just the tightness of the gortex liner so I think they will be ok.

UPDATE

I kept trying these on and off around the house for a few days and they just didn’t seem to fit that well, in the end I ordered a 10 to try and knew straight away as soon as I tried them on that they fitted better, so the 9.5 are going back. To re cap, I take a uk size 9 as an everyday shoe, my freeriders are a uk 10 and the trailcross gtx that fitted the best (with a wool sock) are a uk 10, hope this helps someone.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Great shoes. I've been running these all winter and it's been extremely wet here. Wear with SealSkinz knee length socks and my feet have been dry every ride. With the thick sock I ordered one size larger than normal.

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I've had a pair of these for a few months now but have never really used them in bad weather until last weekend
We went to Guisborough woods and there was a good covering of snow, it was very cold with deep puddles as things started to thaw during the day.
The shoes performed really well, my feet were never cold even though I was wearing only thin socks (I find it hard getting them on over thick waterproof socks).
They also kept my feet clean and dry and I was able to keep the the same socks on for the drive home which was impressive for the conditions.

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
Without doubt, one of the best items of MTB clothing ever. If not the best! Excellent value after scoring them for £120 with the 20% Adidas email subscription. Wicked shoes. Adidas have smashed it out of the park with these!
Wore them for the first time in proper wet conditions last week and feet stayed completely warm and dry. My trousers sit nicely over the neoprene cuff so no water ingress from above. Washed the mud off with a hose after the ride and they still remained dry. And the’ve taken the already amazing 510 grip to the next level

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Without doubt, one of the best items of MTB clothing ever. If not the best! Excellent value after scoring them for £120 with the 20% Adidas email subscription. Wicked shoes. Adidas have smashed it out of the park with these!
Wore them for the first time in proper wet conditions last week and feet stayed completely warm and dry. My trousers sit nicely over the neoprene cuff so no water ingress from above. Washed the mud off with a hose after the ride and they still remained dry. And the’ve taken the already amazing 510 grip to the next level
great that you are pleased with them.............be aware however the real test is how long they remain watertight. My 5-10 EPS are 3 years old and still totally waterproof........but then they are leather and do not rely on a membrane to keep the water out.

Mikehorti

Subscriber
Apr 29, 2021
Surrey
great that you are pleased with them.............be aware however the real test is how long they remain watertight. My 5-10 EPS are 3 years old and still totally waterproof........but then they are leather and do not rely on a membrane to keep the water out.
I had a pair of Adidas GTX hiking boots in another lifetime and they hung in for the long haul, so I am optimistic that these will follow suit

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Have to say I've been pretty disappointed with mine. My feet have got wet, cold, and the fit isn't as good as my previous 5:10s. In fact, I have a normal set of trail riders that are supposed to be the same size and both pairs are different! Only the lower portion of the shoe has the Gore membrane, so if the neo collar gets wet, you get wet, therefore trouser choice and fit are crucial. In the cold, the thin nature of the shoe means that even if just the outside gets wet, as the water evaporates your feet freeze, and they aren't particularly good at resisting the wind. If you are using them in the cold, definitely plan on wearing thick socks!

Last edited:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
First ride out in in these boots and tbh I found them comfortable to wear and walk in. Coupled with a pair of well used ShowersPass winter waterproof socks they kept my feet dry and though never toastie warm not numbingly cold. I completed a 21 mile 3 hour ride comprising of moorland/forest/very wet, deep rutted, muddy, icy singletrack with deep sleck at the gates. My Fox Defend pants did a half decent job of keeping most of the crap off the top cuff of the boots.
It was only when I hosed my self down with the hosepipe nozzle on “shower” did any water get into the boots so all in all I’m very satisfied with them.
They’ll dry pretty quick on the new boot drier.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
First ride out in in these boots and tbh I found them comfortable to wear and walk in. Coupled with a pair of well used ShowersPass winter waterproof socks they kept my feet dry and though never toastie warm not numbingly cold. I completed a 21 mile 3 hour ride comprising of moorland/forest/very wet, deep rutted, muddy, icy singletrack with deep sleck at the gates. My Fox Defend pants did a half decent job of keeping most of the crap off the top cuff of the boots.
It was only when I hosed my self down with the hosepipe nozzle on “shower” did any water get into the boots so all in all I’m very satisfied with them.
They’ll dry pretty quick on the new boot drier.
Why are you wearing waterproof socks inside Gore-tex lined shoes..? Surely you could have saved yourself a stack and just bought normal 5:10s. Interested to see how you'd have gone without the waterproof socks...

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Why are you wearing waterproof socks inside Gore-tex lined shoes..? Surely you could have saved yourself a stack and just bought normal 5:10s. Interested to see how you'd have gone without the waterproof socks...
Why wouldn't you ?
Nothing but nothing is truly waterproof ..I was riding with EMF on that ride yesterday in a new never used pair of Sealskinz socks mid length ..and my feet were soaking ( inside ) at the end ..so doubling up on his chances of keeping his feet dry makes perfect sense to me ...

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020

Belts and braces I suppose, never found any waterproof socks to be fully waterproof, the same go for boots…… my feet were dry and not cold so mission accomplished.
The boots are comfy appear to be well made and looking forward to wearing them throughout the year alongside my other 3 pair of 5tens.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Belts and braces I suppose, never found any waterproof socks to be fully waterproof, the same go for boots…… my feet were dry and not cold so mission accomplished.
The boots are comfy appear to be well made and looking forward to wearing them throughout the year alongside my other 3 pair of 5tens.
I thought that using multiple layers of waterproof/breathable membranes actually reduced the breathability of the materials, hence my question. I find my feet sweat and my socks get damp just wearing these shoes, never mind adding a second membrane! If I was going to wear waterproof socks (and I do), I would have to wear them in normal shoes. I certainly couldn't wear them in my Gore Trail Cross shoes.

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
Is that the case when wearing multiple base layers with breathable properties and wind/waterproof jackets of different technical construction?
My feet were warm and dry enough said……..

Singletrack Scene

Nov 14, 2020
Nottingham
I've literally just sent a pair back, I found they let water in. - A lot of! after just a couple of rides!
On closer inspection, I found defects in the stitching around the Gortex lining. slight tares. Disappointing... It seems there are a few people with a similar issue. - I'm waiting on the warranty pair, and I'll be closely inspecting them.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I've literally just sent a pair back, I found they let water in. - A lot of! after just a couple of rides!
On closer inspection, I found defects in the stitching around the Gortex lining. slight tares. Disappointing... It seems there are a few people with a similar issue. - I'm waiting on the warranty pair, and I'll be closely inspecting them.
surely a membrane should be bonded not stitched?

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Very happy with mine though I also wear them with waterproof socks. Not the warmest but my foot went through some ice and into a deep puddle at the start of a ride the other day and i was fine👍 Nice to hose them off at the end of a ride too while wearing them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles