2nd Layer for chilly mornings /Night rides

Mattzzzzzz

Oct 2, 2020
Nottingham UK
What you all wearing over your Cycling Jersey when its cold or when you are sessioning stuff in the woods? I have a couple of Jackets and a Fox 2.5 water jacket for when its persisting down and have a very light stuffsack gilet as a get out of jail but should I just wear a hoody and be done with it?
Whats your goto for over your jersey
When its coldish- showerproof wiuld be a bonus as long as its not too hot and sweaty

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Usually just a lightweight showerproof gillet (and often worn over a just short sleeved top). Apart from steady winter commutes below 5deg I never ever wear a jacket biking as I overheat even in the most breathable showerproof jackets. So long as I keep moving I don't ever really get too cold without one and a gillet is enough to keeps the worst of the windchill out.
For digging and sessioning in dryish weather a hoody would be fine but unless it's a technical riding hoody it won't really be the best material for getting wet in

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Unless it's below 5C, I wear a Merino base layer under my Jersey with a Pertex windproof (packs the size of an apple in its wee pouch and hangs on a clip on my shorts or waist bag) as a back up. I also have a neck warmer in my pocket wear light Merino socks and 3/4 shorts and always wear full finger gloves.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Being a hairy hound ..I can't stand merino ..I use a Rab synthetic base layer which was a gift at Christmas a few years back ..over a long sleeve Fox or Endura top ..and if its raining no matter what the season an Endura MT500 Jacket..which I tend to carry in my backpack if not needed ( bearing in mind that I always carry a back pack ) ..
If not the Endura jacket then I have a Sprayway Goretex jacket ..extremely lightweight and the first true waterproof I bought when I first started mtbing 25 yrs ago ..its still in excellent condition but unfortunately can no longer be bought ..
This is my daughter wearing it a couple of weekends back
20210502_115949.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I wear a softshell...lots of brands to choose from, mine is a New Balance with a hood large enough to go over a helmet if needed (without that showerproof is less effective cos the rain all just goes down your neck!) It is windproof and showerproof and the light stretchy soft shell material means it provides no restriction. It is a sufficiently heavy material however to stop it flapping in the breeze and tough enough to not only provide some protection but also not get damaged by the occasional excursion into the shrubbery......on your back! ( sorry I was just thinking about today's ride!!).
For items like this I avoid bike specific brands because you just pay through the nose. I got mine from TK Max and the benefit is that you can try it on over say a hoodie to emulate wearing it over a base layer/armour/jersey. The most important aspect is that the sleeves a re long enough not to ride up your wrists when in a good ready riding position.

Calsun

May 17, 2021
Monterey CA
I bought a couple of Sugoi bicycling jackets that have a windproof front and a vented back panel. In the old days we stuffed newspapers under our jerseys but who buys newspapers anymore?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles