2nd bikes

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
So then folks, what do we all have as a 2nd bike? you know, for those moments when the ebike is away for a warranty repair ?.. I’ve not got my Trek Rail yet but currently wondering if I should keep my Santa Cruz Bronson or should I change it to something that won’t bother me if it’s just kept in the spare room for 9 out of 10 rides

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I had a Nukeproof Mega 275. I kept it for uplift days. In the 12 months after I bought my first eeb it got used once for dog walking duties so I sold it while it was still worth something.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I gave my Whyte T130 rs ( 2017) to my 17 year old son ..and donated my Mk1 Nomad to a mate ( who subsequently sent it to the mtb graveyard in the sky when he found a crack in the frame ) ..its feasible that I could ride the T130 again ..but in reality I probably won't..

warpdwhim

Sep 14, 2020
Winnipeg, Canada
My second/winter bike is a Rocky Mountain Blizzard 20.
20210111_104557.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@EuanS2 I wish that I had kept my Whyte T130C RS 2017 instead of selling it for £1800. I actually did keep it for three months after I bought my first emtb. But after a test ride I was back to knee pain and 10 mile rides with a couple of days off afterwards for the pain to go. So I sold it. But I didn't need the £1800 and I wish I'd kept it for my grandson who next year will be tall enough to ride it comfortably. That was two years ago and the way I saw it at the time was that it would be years before my grandson would be big enough and bike tech would have moved on. It has but not enough to eclipse what was a superb bike and still will be in a years time.

I have also missed having a bike to ride when my emtb was in the shop!

If you like the bike, keep it! You will regret selling it.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Funnily enough, I keep looking at Whyte T130s on eBay but fortunately they are either way over budget or far too big. It's fortunate because I don't know when I'd ever actually ride it; I haven't ridden this year yet thanks to the lockdown. ?

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
@EuanS2 I wish that I had kept my Whyte T130C RS 2017 instead of selling it for £1800. I actually did keep it for three months after I bought my first emtb. But after a test ride I was back to knee pain and 10 mile rides with a couple of days off afterwards for the pain to go. So I sold it. But I didn't need the £1800 and I wish I'd kept it for my grandson who next year will be tall enough to ride it comfortably. That was two years ago and the way I saw it at the time was that it would be years before my grandson would be big enough and bike tech would have moved on. It has but not enough to eclipse what was a superb bike and still will be in a years time.

I have also missed having a bike to ride when my emtb was in the shop!

If you like the bike, keep it! You will regret selling it.

TBH, I probably will keep it as like you say, I’ll probably regret selling it and I do love it, it’s only just over a year old, it’s in great condition with a good spec, its also got a cascade link and A 170mm fork which is ideal for uplift days at Innerleithen and Fort William

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Funnily enough, I keep looking at Whyte T130s on eBay
Why that bike ?
You've said so many times how you never rode your Mega after you got your first Eeb.
Do you finally regret selling it?
IMHO a Mega is a better bike than the Whyte.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Why that bike ?
Why not? I've always liked them.
You've said so many times how you never rode your Mega after you got your first Eeb.
Do you finally regret selling it?
I always regretted selling it, but realistically I was never going to enjoy riding it after the eeb on anything other than uplift days but the only people I was riding with at the time were all on eebs.
What's changed is that I'm now significantly lighter and fitter than I was back then so I'll enjoy a clockwork bike more.
IMHO a Mega is a better bike than the Whyte.
I don't have an opinion on which is better as I've only ridden one of them, but for the sort of riding I'd be doing 95% of the time a 130mm bike will be plenty.

Last edited:

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
I've got a YT capra and orbea rallon for those days when I'm not using the ebike - uplifts, rides with a lot of hike a bike and foreign trips.

edit : oh and a road bike.

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
I have 9 normal bikes and one EMTB.
Based on which I enjoy riding most I don't think an Ebike (fun as they are) would make my top 5. I like them all though.

I’ve got to agree with you on that! I’ve had a good few shots of a Levo at Glentress, on the off piste trails, as much as it was still fun it wasn’t as fun as my Bronson

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
’ve had a good few shots of a Levo at Glentress, on the off piste trails, as much as it was still fun it wasn’t as fun as my Bronson
Not really a fan of the Levo or Bonson. Was it a hire Levo or a rider's? Set-up makes quite a big difference to how they ride.
The Rail is quite a beast. I take it you've test ridden one?
It takes more than one ride to get the hang of making an Emtb handle like you would a normal bike.
A wee tip for bridging that gap, especially at Glentress is to run lighter faster rolling tyres and higher pressures. and to have a slightly shorter frame (probably too late for you to make that choice)
Other than Hammer time (which is a shit fest) there's nothing at glentress that requires super high levels of grip.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Part of me would love a 2nd bike but the whole point of getting the ebike was to try and have one that would do the majority of what i wanted to do. Sure it would have been great to have a 170/180mm enduro style bike for uplift days but that's a very expensive thing just to have for a few times a year.

I sold my giant anthem as it was just sat there unused and i wanted someone to actually make use of it. If i somehow found the spare cash to just drop on one then i'd probably go for a nukeproof mega 290 alloy comp.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles