29x2.6 E-wild first look

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
Yesterday was my first Go on a 29x2.6 e wild on a 35 internal wheel.
Bikes i rode yesterday are a mixer Fantic 180race and a Rocky Mountain slayer 29er
Fantic has 29x26 on 36.5mm internal carbon Tnt hoop and 27.5 x40 rear with 2.6 Ewild.
Slayer has 29x32 front and 29x35 rear with 2.6 E wild front and rear.
Dirt yesterday was wet, it had rained the day before pretty heavy but it wasn’t what i would call muddy, just few muddy spots. I have really big brakes on my bikes, 225mm rotors with trick stuff grippy pads. On wet rocks i had few slip issues with the front , they where slow and recoverable slips not violent step outs so i dropped couple psi and tire responded quite well. I would guess it’s 20-22psi. Started at 25psi. Tire held corners and still had a very responsive agile feel at the lower pressure and the ride got really smooth, i have a really fast 2 mile downhill run that has every mix of dirt, ruts, rocks, mud, slabs, chunk, pavers, pine needles, roots and couple Barkless downed trees over trail. Another words pretty legit enduro stage. Peak speed is 47mph and average speed is 19.7. this section has been my go to for tire testing as it has everything in a short stage. on off cambers that’s where wet i was loose but in a smooth easy slip that i didn’t feel compelled to clip out my inside leg was very controlled drift feel. Tires molded to wet roots quite well , in middle sections the smaller middle knobs would be little loose but side knobs would grab, that was different feel then Mary who is my go to tire in these wet conditions so took me little time to get used to that feel. The braking traction is really good exp for mid, its little lacking in slimy mud compared to Mary, but not far behind. Again big brakes really tax tires on braking traction. Where the tires shined and put grin on my face was berms, simply put it’s FAST!! The tire case is so well dampened and the confidence it gives you you just want to let it run, i found by late in day i was really climbing far forward on bike to load the front tire as hard as possible and the casing loved it, Mary rolls on tread and case when you load front that hard and feels unsettled, so does Hans Damf and DHF i feel as if i be a skin donor if i even tried.
On rocky, i could feel the weight on climbs specially with my holiday padding from mommas cookies and chocolates. The narrower rims gave tire little more bounce or pop but didn’t seem to be quite as surgical in handling. Having had numerous rear wheel problems on rocky i thought the heavier E-wild rear case would improve Rockies ability to bash chunk, but even that heavy case wasn’t enough as i put multiple dings in Rockies rear wheel. But good news is none of them damaged the tire and less ding had cut right through several DD casing max tires.
My first impression is feeling really promising that this tire is a real contender. The 616miles on 27.5 rear says they gonna run the pace for decent life span as well.
A+ rating on tire case and feel of the casing.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles