29” rear wheel on the decoy? (Not the new Decoy 29)

Santa

Oct 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
Nothing to do with the launch of the new Decoy 29er here...

I was wondering has anyone tried switching the rear wheel of the Decoy from that 27.5+ (that everyone seems to hate) to an actual 29er? I believe that 27.5+ and 29” wheels have the same overall diameter, so it sounds to me like a logical thing, no?

I’ve heard of ppl just switching the rear tire to a regular 27.5 (2.3w I guess?). But wouldn’t that make the rear wheel diameter smaller, hence bringing the nose up=slacker HTA=worse on the uphill?

Thoughts?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
bringing the nose up=slacker HTA=worse on the uphill?

Thoughts?

Er... Seriously? Get a grip?

it has a MOTOR

it won't bring the nose UP. it''ll drop the rear (and BB). A good thing IMO
My Eeb is considerably lower (BB) and slacker (HA) than a Decoy and climbs just fine.
I always intentionally run no larger than a 2.3 or 2.4 on the rear
Most Eebs are too high (BB) because too many Ebikers can't time a pedal stroke and complain.

d3ftone

May 29, 2019
Colorado
A 27.5x2.8 Maxxis tire has an OD of about 28.25 inches. 29x2.5 has an OD of about 29.25 inches and 29x2.3 about 29.15 inches, both Maxxis for reference, other brands could differ I suppose. So no, 27.5x2.8 tires don't have the same OD as 29 tires. And I'd be more concerned about having a steep seat tube angle for climbing, and keep that head tube angle slack for downhill. A good way to do this is put a -2 offset headset in. While making the head angle 2 degrees slacker it also makes the STA .5 degrees steeper. Also lengthens the wheelbase by like 25-30mm and drops the BB about 3-4mm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles