27.5 x 2.8 tires ?

Changleen

Jan 18, 2020
Acquiring
After I killed my first DHR 2 I added Cushcore on the back and it kicks ass. I am loving the 2.8 (actually it is 69mm, about 2.65). Cush also stops the rolling at lower psi.

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
To answer OP’s question, I’m going to guess climbing traction. After my first ride, I was immediately VERY impressed with how this bike sticks to the ground over rocks, roots, slabs, mud - anything.

BUT the side to side roll on fast descents was disconcerting.

I added a Cushcore in the rear, and I feel I have the best of both worlds now.
Same here, cushcore solves the "sideroll" problem and offer's more puncture/tear protection.
And yes the 2.8s can climb anything steep! It's crazzy how well they stick!
Tim

Tim69

Feb 25, 2019
Israel
The 2.8 tire spec'd on the Decoy out back is to allow for a larger wheel circumference (close to 29 tires) to maintain a higher BB in the low setting.

My experiences using the Maxxis 2.8 EXO+ has been a love/hate relationship.

Love :love:: A smooth "dampened" ride .. like riding a couch down the hill
Good grip up and down

Hate :(: Sidewall support at low PSI - tire roll/drift in corners
Prone to sidewall tears (due to less support and rubber/re-enforcing)

After riding for 15 years with only one sidewall tear using Maxxis tires (in 2.5) ... I have had 3 on the Maxxis 2.8 in less than 1 year !! The sidewall is too thin for a tire this wide if your riding this bike hard. If your riding smooth trails or less aggressive, it will likely be OK

As a result, I have changed to the Michelin 2.8 e-bike specific rear tire.

Observations (of Michelin 2.8 e-bike tire out back and 2.4 MagicX in the front):

Love :love::

1. The sidewalls are much stiffer on the Michelins which provides good support WITHOUT the dreaded "tire roll" feeling of the Maxxis 2.8. in corners.
2. The sidewalls are a LOT tougher than the Maxxis 2.8
3. Cheaper to buy
4. Keep existing GEO without requiring switch to high BB setting

Hate :(:

1. More weight for the rear tire (** However the non-e-bike Michelin Magic X front is actually comparable in weight to the DHF)
2. The tires are a lot rougher riding than the Michelin (couches) .. so a few less PSI is required. The impact of using tough sidewalls are a less compliant tire.
3. The picture of the Michelin Man ... kind of suits the e-bike stereotype :unsure: (which many of us do not meet - LOL)

Overall I would still rate the Maxxis tires "marginally" better for grip .. but the high incidence of punctures makes them a NO GO for me. I like the Michelins and will take the trade off of a slightly rougher ride, for the insurance of less FLAT tires.

If a Maxxis DHR2.8 in DD sidewall ever becomes available .. Ill switch back ... but until then I'll have to deal with a picture of the Michelin Man on my tires and will not go back to the EXO+. (y)
Haven't tried the michelin's, but may give them a go! They sound just about right, untill Maxxis realize their sidewalls suck! And come out with a 2.8 downhill casing... Finally.
I love minions! They have been my favorite tire for 15 years or more.. so after wearing out my stock butcher on front, went with the loved dhf! Loved the cornering grip and better handling... But then a couple months ago tore a huge hole in the sidewall on a nothing! Of a little rock.. despite running cushcore on front and back! thought it was just bad luck...? So replaced it with a new one.
After wearing out my verry! Successful butcher double down on the rear..which for most of it's life did just fine at low pressures with no cushcore.. figured a dhr was called for..(don't know why..) so I put one on the rear, running the same pressures as the butcher, didn't even last a month! Till a few days ago I tore two holes in the sidewall at the same time!
I think Maxxis is trying to make these tires lighter at the expense of the sidewalls.. as they are verry! Vulnerable. Even the standard butchers are better.. and never tore a sidewall, even before a put cushcore on! With even lower pressures!
I'm not getting another Maxxis till they come out with a 2.8 DD!!!
Going back to my butcher Dad's on the rear till I can try a michelin..
Tim.

IMG_20200916_191252.jpg

Screenshot_20200920_115701_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20200920_115656_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I'm running the Schwalbe Eddy Current 27.5" x 2.6" and I love it! Grip is amazing! Doesn't want to bounce in the rear like the 2.8" did!

I think Yoko was correct, the taller tire keeps the bottom bracket higher in the low "flip chip" setting. I put mine in high and the thing flys!

I also lubed all of my lower link connections and cured the creek sounds! Loving my Decoy!
Just purchased a Decoy Elite, hope to get it before end of year. Was unaware it has a flip chip? My Levo has this option, run it in low setting. Can someone send link or info on this for YT?

leocompositing

Sep 14, 2020
Surrey hills
Maxxis minion DHF front and rear both DH casing Wide trail 2. 5 setup tubeless .
At half the price of the Ebike spec tires and with very little chance of punchers plus added rim protection its a no brainer .
For this combo weight penalty , rotational weight penalty is negligible over tire performance.
That’s very interesting. Did you change your flip chip to low? Are you getting a lot of pedal strikes? Do the 2.5 work well with the 35mm 27.5’ rims?

thanks

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles