27.5 x 2.8 tires ?

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
But why do they come with plus/high volume tires to begin with as opposed to say an assegai or aggressor 2.5WT?
Is it because manufacturers perceive emtb'ers to be less aggressive/skilled than their analog brethren?

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
But why do they come with plus/high volume tires to begin with as opposed to say an assegai or aggressor 2.5WT?
Is it because manufacturers perceive emtb'ers to be less aggressive/skilled than their analog brethren?
I can only speculate. Perhaps part of it is "maintaining geometry", as a 27.5+ tire has a nearly identical outer diameter as 29.
Or maybe it's the thought that increased volume of a "plus" tire can better absorb impact of the e-bike, or perhaps they feel the additional tread surface area is better at handling the torque.

Last edited:

CraigerC EMTB

May 6, 2020
Laguna Beach, CA
I'm running the Schwalbe Eddy Current 27.5" x 2.6" and I love it! Grip is amazing! Doesn't want to bounce in the rear like the 2.8" did!

I think Yoko was correct, the taller tire keeps the bottom bracket higher in the low "flip chip" setting. I put mine in high and the thing flys!

I also lubed all of my lower link connections and cured the creek sounds! Loving my Decoy!

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Go too small and you'll possibly compound the already low bottom bracket with lots of pedal strikes...

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I'm running the Schwalbe Eddy Current 27.5" x 2.6" and I love it! Grip is amazing! Doesn't want to bounce in the rear like the 2.8" did!

I think Yoko was correct, the taller tire keeps the bottom bracket higher in the low "flip chip" setting. I put mine in high and the thing flys!

I also lubed all of my lower link connections and cured the creek sounds! Loving my Decoy!

very cool. I really like the 2.6 e-wild and have a 2.6 Eddy Current waiting in the wings to try next.
I still keep mine in low. Always. My terrain is very rocky (Colorado). I've just learned to adjust, which wasn't too hard as I've favored low BB MTBs for a long time. Nothing beats downhilling in low. My 160 fork is bumped to 170 which offsets that low BB slightly.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
I can only speculate. Perhaps part of it is "maintaining geometry", as a 27.5+ tire has a nearly identical outer diameter as 29.
Or maybe it's the thought that increased volume of a "plus" tire can better absorb impact of the e-bike, or perhaps they feel the additional tread surface area is better at handling the torque.

Nah, it's just different goals. It's not about "absorbing impact". It's about cornering/descending traction v. climbing traction. For whatever reason they wanted to go more for climbing traction and tradeoff on conerning/DH performance. The 2.8 does climb nice for sure. If maxxis made a 2.8 DHR/DHF/Assegai/High roller with DH casing that would be fun to try.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Nah, it's just different goals. It's not about "absorbing impact". It's about cornering/descending traction v. climbing traction. For whatever reason they wanted to go more for climbing traction and tradeoff on conerning/DH performance. The 2.8 does climb nice for sure. If maxxis made a 2.8 DHR/DHF/Assegai/High roller with DH casing that would be fun to try.

The DHR 2/DHF are pretty tough. I haven't shredded one yet, on some gnarly DH and technical rides. Rekons didn't hold up so well on my eMTB, but the DH*'s did.

Gemini2k

Sep 9, 2019
Normal
The DHR 2/DHF are pretty tough. I haven't shredded one yet, on some gnarly DH and technical rides. Rekons didn't hold up so well on my eMTB, but the DH*'s did.

The toughness is really more driven by the casing (EXO, EXO+, Double down) than the tread type (DHR, DHF). I agree, the EXO/EXO+ stuff is definitely pretty good these days. But I've found if you're riding really high speed rocky DH stuff the dual ply casings are pretty essential. Just depends on personal style.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
The toughness is really more driven by the casing (EXO, EXO+, Double down) than the tread type (DHR, DHF). I agree, the EXO/EXO+ stuff is definitely pretty good these days. But I've found if you're riding really high speed rocky DH stuff the dual ply casings are pretty essential. Just depends on personal style.

I agree.
I recently destroyed my DT 1900 OEM rim, and I had cushcore. The thick Michelin e-wild tire was unscathed. I'm certain a lesser tire would have been toast.

CraigerC EMTB

May 6, 2020
Laguna Beach, CA
very cool. I really like the 2.6 e-wild and have a 2.6 Eddy Current waiting in the wings to try next.
I still keep mine in low. Always. My terrain is very rocky (Colorado). I've just learned to adjust, which wasn't too hard as I've favored low BB MTBs for a long time. Nothing beats downhilling in low. My 160 fork is bumped to 170 which offsets that low BB slightly.
Ya - I ran in low for the first couple of weeks and had no problem. I changed it after lubing my lower link. I was going on a ride with a lot of chunk and set it up that way and it rode well. I might play with it a bit. I'm still trying to fine tune my suspension, but the bike is so fun!

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I agree.
I recently destroyed my DT 1900 OEM rim, and I had cushcore. The thick Michelin e-wild tire was unscathed. I'm certain a lesser tire would have been toast.

I tossed those rims after the third time they dented. It was the rim, not the tire. Sometimes a rim is just gonna take a hit. I built up a set on Whisky rims and have had no issues since, running the same tires at the same pressures.

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I tossed those rims after the third time they dented. It was the rim, not the tire. Sometimes a rim is just gonna take a hit. I built up a set on Whisky rims and have had no issues since, running the same tires at the same pressures.

DT offered me a cost reduced crash replacement. I elected to go with Stan's Flow EX and am hoping for better luck. I'm notoriously hard on rims and typically break 1-2 per season - but NEVER before with cushcore.

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I'm running a WTB Vigilante 29x2.8" in the front on my Levo and really liking it. I've run Minions and Asegais in 2.6" in front but this WTB is really hooking up for me

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
The 2.8 tire spec'd on the Decoy out back is to allow for a larger wheel circumference (close to 29 tires) to maintain a higher BB in the low setting.

My experiences using the Maxxis 2.8 EXO+ has been a love/hate relationship.

Love :love:: A smooth "dampened" ride .. like riding a couch down the hill
Good grip up and down

Hate :(: Sidewall support at low PSI - tire roll/drift in corners
Prone to sidewall tears (due to less support and rubber/re-enforcing)

After riding for 15 years with only one sidewall tear using Maxxis tires (in 2.5) ... I have had 3 on the Maxxis 2.8 in less than 1 year !! The sidewall is too thin for a tire this wide if your riding this bike hard. If your riding smooth trails or less aggressive, it will likely be OK

As a result, I have changed to the Michelin 2.8 e-bike specific rear tire.

Observations (of Michelin 2.8 e-bike tire out back and 2.4 MagicX in the front):

Love :love::

1. The sidewalls are much stiffer on the Michelins which provides good support WITHOUT the dreaded "tire roll" feeling of the Maxxis 2.8. in corners.
2. The sidewalls are a LOT tougher than the Maxxis 2.8
3. Cheaper to buy
4. Keep existing GEO without requiring switch to high BB setting

Hate :(:

1. More weight for the rear tire (** However the non-e-bike Michelin Magic X front is actually comparable in weight to the DHF)
2. The tires are a lot rougher riding than the Michelin (couches) .. so a few less PSI is required. The impact of using tough sidewalls are a less compliant tire.
3. The picture of the Michelin Man ... kind of suits the e-bike stereotype :unsure: (which many of us do not meet - LOL)

Overall I would still rate the Maxxis tires "marginally" better for grip .. but the high incidence of punctures makes them a NO GO for me. I like the Michelins and will take the trade off of a slightly rougher ride, for the insurance of less FLAT tires.

If a Maxxis DHR2.8 in DD sidewall ever becomes available .. Ill switch back ... but until then I'll have to deal with a picture of the Michelin Man on my tires and will not go back to the EXO+. (y)

AdrianJW

Aug 26, 2018
Oxford
All of those, I suspect.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I downsized to 27.5x2.6 and prefer this size. It's more nimble and handles a lot better going side to side in turns. I don't feel like I lost any grip compared to the stock 2.8+
After a couple of rides now with the 2.6" e-wild (with bike in high mode) I agree 100%. Feels more like a "regular" mountain bike.

Santa

Oct 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
To answer OP’s question, I’m going to guess climbing traction. After my first ride, I was immediately VERY impressed with how this bike sticks to the ground over rocks, roots, slabs, mud - anything.

BUT the side to side roll on fast descents was disconcerting.

I added a Cushcore in the rear, and I feel I have the best of both worlds now.

Sam233

Jul 19, 2020
Germany
My next rear is 27.5 * 2.8 - eddy current. I like the 2.8 - i think i can hit everythink with this big tires. And it give me more convidence in rocky downhill sections.

Dano78

Dec 3, 2019
Uk
I'm running a WTB Vigilante 29x2.8" in the front on my Levo and really liking it. I've run Minions and Asegais in 2.6" in front but this WTB is really hooking up for me
Same here I've fitted wtb vigilante 29x2.8 front and rear on my trek rail and love them

20200702_184138.jpg

HOMIE5000

Feb 23, 2020
Australia
Maxxis minion DHF front and rear both DH casing Wide trail 2. 5 setup tubeless .
At half the price of the Ebike spec tires and with very little chance of punchers plus added rim protection its a no brainer .
For this combo weight penalty , rotational weight penalty is negligible over tire performance.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
The rocky terrain I ride on plus the speeds I am going exact a heavy toll on my tires. 2.8+ simply take the beating.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles