'21 Santa Cruz Heckler MX S

hecklermx

Apr 5, 2021
SF Bay Area
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums. I've been riding mountain bikes for quite a while and have owned a few bikes. I started with a Specialized Rockhopper, then a Specialized Epic before moving on to a Scott Spark 910. My wife bought her first EMTB, a Giant Embolden and it got me curious.

It was hard to actually find EMTBs to test ride in Northern California because they sell so fast or the stock is pre-sold. I did get a ride on a Orbea Wild FS which was fun, but it didn't feel very agile. I then test rode the Santa Cruz Heckler MX and it felt lighter and flickable. I guess that is attributed to the mullet setup.

Anyway, I bought the Heckler MX in S spec about a month ago. This is my first EMTB and it is fantastic. So far it's been very reliable and it's perfect for the hilly fire roads I ride. If anyone has questions, I'll do my best to answer. BTW, it appears the prices have gone up recently, so I'm glad I bought when I did!

tempImage4NSqXY.png

hecklermx

Apr 5, 2021
SF Bay Area
I'm TRULY enjoying the Heckler MX so much! The quality of Santa Cruz is fantastic.

I tweaked some of the motor settings in the E-Tube app to tune it to my riding preferences under "Profile 2":
- ECO mode: increased the torque to 34Nm
- TRAIL mode: decreased the torque to 78Nm
- BOOST mode: decreased the assist character to Lv. 8

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums. I've been riding mountain bikes for quite a while and have owned a few bikes. I started with a Specialized Rockhopper, then a Specialized Epic before moving on to a Scott Spark 910. My wife bought her first EMTB, a Giant Embolden and it got me curious.

It was hard to actually find EMTBs to test ride in Northern California because they sell so fast or the stock is pre-sold. I did get a ride on a Orbea Wild FS which was fun, but it didn't feel very agile. I then test rode the Santa Cruz Heckler MX and it felt lighter and flickable. I guess that is attributed to the mullet setup.

Anyway, I bought the Heckler MX in S spec about a month ago. This is my first EMTB and it is fantastic. So far it's been very reliable and it's perfect for the hilly fire roads I ride. If anyone has questions, I'll do my best to answer. BTW, it appears the prices have gone up recently, so I'm glad I bought when I did!

View attachment 57796
I just placed my order for the Heckler MX in Gloss Carbon and should receive it next week. Can you post more photos of your bike? There are not too many Hecklers posted online.

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
Ordered the XO1 Reserved MX model. So excited!
Nice! I recommend you pick up a sm-pce02 pc interface to do firmware updates and any troubleshooting. Using your phone Bluetooth is risky. I bricked a component on mine that way...got it restored using the pc device.
Here's a couple pics of mine...
original gloss carbon and after I added a few color bits.
20210421_070820.jpg
20201228_152637.jpg

GeorgesEBike

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jul 30, 2018
Verdi, NV
Nice! I recommend you pick up a sm-pce02 pc interface to do firmware updates and any troubleshooting. Using your phone Bluetooth is risky. I bricked a component on mine that way...got it restored using the pc device.
Here's a couple pics of mine...
original gloss carbon and after I added a few color bits.
View attachment 59282 View attachment 59281
Thanks for the recommendation and posting photos! Bike looks amazing!

mandrews

May 8, 2021
United States
Got the heckler mx s as well and it is sweet. I feel way more confident on it going downhill than I ever did on my 5010. The drive train components wear out quick though. I’ve already had to replace them after 3 months. i upgraded the computer as well and its a lot easier to tell what mode I am in because of the color screen. I also upgraded pads to semi metallic with more stopping power and no noise.

The last thing I need to figure out is adding a batter range extender. I’ve seen ones from trail watts, Volabike, and e-Booz, but nothing for EP8 yet. I am not going to buy a second Shimano battery and swap it out mid ride. Too heavy and too long to fit in bag and too clunky to swap out on mountain. I’m hoping someone comes up with an easy swap bottle cage style battery.

hecklermx

Apr 5, 2021
SF Bay Area
Got the heckler mx s as well and it is sweet. I feel way more confident on it going downhill than I ever did on my 5010. The drive train components wear out quick though. I’ve already had to replace them after 3 months. i upgraded the computer as well and its a lot easier to tell what mode I am in because of the color screen. I also upgraded pads to semi metallic with more stopping power and no noise.

The last thing I need to figure out is adding a batter range extender. I’ve seen ones from trail watts, Volabike, and e-Booz, but nothing for EP8 yet. I am not going to buy a second Shimano battery and swap it out mid ride. Too heavy and too long to fit in bag and too clunky to swap out on mountain. I’m hoping someone comes up with an easy swap bottle cage style battery.

I thought about upgrading my computer. Was it a simple swap or did you need reprogramming from your bike shop? I have a feeling I will go through my brake pads and rotors quickly.

I'm hoping Shimano release some type of "water bottle battery" similar to Specialized. So far I haven't needed it, but if I'm ever out and want to ride longer, it would be nice to have in my backpack.

mandrews

May 8, 2021
United States
I thought about upgrading my computer. Was it a simple swap or did you need reprogramming from your bike shop? I have a feeling I will go through my brake pads and rotors quickly.

I'm hoping Shimano release some type of "water bottle battery" similar to Specialized. So far I haven't needed it, but if I'm ever out and want to ride longer, it would be nice to have in my backpack.

No reprogramming needed. Did it all on my own. You will need different wires though since the new computer uses smaller ports to plug into. You either need to buy totally new full length wires to the motor and remotes, or you can buy an adapter and shorter, 5' wire that connects from your existing larger wires to the adapter. This is what you would need if you go the adapter route:

If you go this route, you will have to figure out what to do with the extra wire. The wire to the motor I just shoved down the frame and taped at frame port, and the wire on my handlebar, I just wrapped around a couple times, then zip tied and taped and have had ZERO issues for the last 2 months.

kidsnare

Apr 30, 2021
Germany
Anyone tried the ones you mentioned yet?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
It was hard to actually find EMTBs to test ride in Northern California because they sell so fast or the stock is pre-sold.

Hey, H-MX.
I'm new here, too. I'm in SoCal, and you're right about finding top-tier bikes in stock. This is my second Santa Cruz, the first being a 2008 Superlight. For the past few years, I've been riding an Ibis (right down the street from Santa Cruz). Honesty, I think we have the best boutique brands right here.

Anyway, it was only a week ago that I decided I was going to go down the eBike road. I have two great shops really close to me. Neither could give me a concrete date of when they could deliver. On a whim, I checked the web page of a shop that I used to frequent, about 20 minutes from here. They had one Large Heckler MX X01 RSV in stock. I tried to squeeze him on the price, but he told me that he's not discounting anything, as everything he gets he'll sell in a couple days. As much as I didn't want to hear it, I know he was telling me the truth. I've been on three rides in the past week, and the Heckler is a much better handler than I thought. I'm still stoked, and find it hard to think about anything other than when I can get out on the next ride.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles