21 Cube Hybrid Stereo 160 SL

blancysteve

Sep 7, 2020
IE
Hi All,

I went in to order a 20 Stereo 160 and was greeted with a pleasent surprise ! I got one of the first 21 Models with the Zeb fork. Are there any other owners on here ?

I am 90kg and am struggling to get the 25-30% Sag on the front fork. What have others done? This is my first ebike and I love it.

I did a 27km spin of the Red Trail at Rosstrevor on Sat using a mix of mainly trail and emtb and only used 50% battery. I also halved my time. 1hr 30 ish.

The only upgrades I've done to date has been to bin the standard grips and replace them with a set of Renthal grips and setup tubeless. I have also ordered a 30mm rise 180mm carbon bars.
20200827_213221.jpg
20200822_164824.jpg

Patchinko

Aug 14, 2020
S.W hants
Not really a maintenance tip, but, looking at your first picture, my carbon framed 140 had a sticker on the top tube saying "No clamp zone". Or words to that effect.
Presumably due to the delicate nature of the carbon tubing in this area.

blancysteve

Sep 7, 2020
IE
Thank you. I will bear that in mind. I wonder how they are supposed to be held during a service or rebuild?

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
Fellow owner and not a million miles from you. Based in Belfast. I got mine from Cookstown cycles. Like you and i am also a delicate "ahem" 90Kg-ish rider. I am working on the sag, both front and rear with guidance from the online RockShox set up videos. I think they are linked in the general forum here.

Bought myself a set of RRP guards as i was spattered last weekend from a ride round Castlewellan. If you have kids at all, i do and have to take them with me occassionally, try Gosford Park. Much easier going that Rosstrevor but allows kids to keep up with you and still has some nice flowing jumps.

Weirdly my bike came tubeless? I read all the reviews where bar width was slagged off but i am not struggling yet but i do expect medium term i'll change.

I am on latest but one FW release meaning i have the 85Nm load.

For maintenance, i clamp round the seat post.

blancysteve

Sep 7, 2020
IE
Thank you for the tip about Gosford. My daughter is have just started joining me. Will have to check that out.

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
Thank you for the tip about Gosford. My daughter is have just started joining me. Will have to check that out.
Its a fiver at the gate but they take cards and if you are going to become a regular its £25/yr from the Armagh Borough Council activities site. Its also well provided for by way of coffee/icecream/coke stands.

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
just collected mine this week, the same as yours above grey on black stealth machine, been away from mountain biking for a long time it was a lot cheaper then haha, ordered some odds and ends ie grips pedals etc but only ridden around the block so far, itching for the weekend to get her filthy , in south wales so spoilt for mountain choice (a delicate 95kg myself lol )

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
I am a few months in a 1000km or so, trying to ride a couple of times a week so a few bits of advice might help.

- I hope you still have space on your credit card, I bought some Enduro trousers, they are great, comfy and easy to ride in but now its winter and my nuts and arse were soaked within 100 yds of leaving the carpark so out pops the credit card for another pair of waterproof enduro trousers. Cut out the initial stage and just get waterproof ones!

- To give "some" mud protection i would get something like RRP Pro Guard. I have teh standard length ones and i still get spatteered but my mate has nothing and he is blinded at times.

- get a set of clear shades/goggles. The pace of these things throws more shit up at your fizog than on a normal analogue bike.

- if you can find a place that sells spares of the little plastic cover for the charging port by all their stock, send me one and keep the rest for yourself!

- dont buy the cheapest suspension pump you can find, like me! Mines has an irritating pressure release button just where your left hand would naturally hold it so i start just pumping up my shock, i am circa 200psi and all of a sudden......Pfffsssstt i am back down to 0 and it is a pain in the hole to start that at the side of the road!

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
I am a few months in a 1000km or so, trying to ride a couple of times a week so a few bits of advice might help.

- I hope you still have space on your credit card, I bought some Enduro trousers, they are great, comfy and easy to ride in but now its winter and my nuts and arse were soaked within 100 yds of leaving the carpark so out pops the credit card for another pair of waterproof enduro trousers. Cut out the initial stage and just get waterproof ones!

- To give "some" mud protection i would get something like RRP Pro Guard. I have teh standard length ones and i still get spatteered but my mate has nothing and he is blinded at times.

- get a set of clear shades/goggles. The pace of these things throws more shit up at your fizog than on a normal analogue bike.

- if you can find a place that sells spares of the little plastic cover for the charging port by all their stock, send me one and keep the rest for yourself!

- dont buy the cheapest suspension pump you can find, like me! Mines has an irritating pressure release button just where your left hand would naturally hold it so i start just pumping up my shock, i am circa 200psi and all of a sudden......Pfffsssstt i am back down to 0 and it is a pain in the hole to start that at the side of the road!
hah parts of that really made me laugh, good shout on the trousers i have the otterskin sox so a decent start on waterproofing, i maxed the budget pretty much on the bike so might have to go for some ebay ex military gore-tex over trousers for this winter and splash out on proper ones next season.
thankfully the chaps in the bike shop advised me the same on crud being thrown up so i did get a large front mudguard attached at time of purchase, good to know its money well spent though, i have just ordered a cheapy rear one too that has mixed reviews but i didn't have huge cash left so itll do for 2020.

laughing out loud at the charger point cover comment ;-p ive seen on one of the facebook groups there's a chap putting a 3d printer to good use i have ordered a kiox unit cover from him i wonder if he is able to make those? be very useful as like you say they dont look like the most over engineered part of the bike ill agree.

i'm still in two minds on the shock pump as to how much use im gona get out of it, might suggest me or my riding buddy get one between us for now? anyway early finish from work tommorow so hopefully first chance to get the tyres mucky, theres a local loop near me that i was doing in 45 mins approx on pedal power the other week so it'll be of interest to see what modes i use and what minimal amount of assistance i can get away with and still hit the same time or faster maybe? i have my own questions about my ability to pedal un assisted as much as possible also in contrast how easy i can make things on turbo so really excited to see what this bike can offer , i'll hopefully update friday eve before a "proper" ride sunday when my buddy has collected his first e bike too and we can get a few miles in ;-) cheers for the advice much appreciated too

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
Brilliant fella, I just bought 4! I thought Etsy was just where my daughter sold dresses for dolls?

I went to the trouble of finding the part number and found it on German & Lithuanian websites. Both told me do one. Ze Germans were quite open saying that they were getting their website and shipping plans aligned for Brexit and UK & NI was off the list....buggers.

Cavey76

Sep 19, 2020
Belfast
hah parts of that really made me laugh, good shout on the trousers i have the otterskin sox so a decent start on waterproofing, i maxed the budget pretty much on the bike so might have to go for some ebay ex military gore-tex over trousers for this winter and splash out on proper ones next season.
thankfully the chaps in the bike shop advised me the same on crud being thrown up so i did get a large front mudguard attached at time of purchase, good to know its money well spent though, i have just ordered a cheapy rear one too that has mixed reviews but i didn't have huge cash left so itll do for 2020.

Any old guard will do - but if you buy one of those "Ass Saver" - comedy name, the inability to make it stick to saddle isnt so funny, make sure your zip tie the sh*t out of it so it stays attached!

i'm still in two minds on the shock pump as to how much use im gona get out of it, might suggest me or my riding buddy get one between us for now?

Typically in the order of £15-20. You really will need one. With new bikes it's entirely possible you lose air from the seals so can be topping up air on a every couple of ride basis.

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
Brilliant fella, I just bought 4! I thought Etsy was just where my daughter sold dresses for dolls?

I went to the trouble of finding the part number and found it on German & Lithuanian websites. Both told me do one. Ze Germans were quite open saying that they were getting their website and shipping plans aligned for Brexit and UK & NI was off the list....buggers.
zee germans that classic line haha i had the same thoughts on etsy- how little did we know eh!
i have found a bash plate too! thats also from our European cousins STANDUP Protezione Telaio e Batteria per Nuova Cube Hybrid Stereo 2020 2021

matt_thebeard

Dec 4, 2020
south wales
Any old guard will do - but if you buy one of those "Ass Saver" - comedy name, the inability to make it stick to saddle isnt so funny, make sure your zip tie the sh*t out of it so it stays attached!

Typically in the order of £15-20. You really will need one. With new bikes it's entirely possible you lose air from the seals so can be topping up air on a every couple of ride basis.

again appreciate the heads up, im actually going to fit a front short mudguard to the rear , not sure how effective it will be but i just cant bring myself to add one of those behmoth plastic jobbies that radically alter the outline of the bike side profile, ill take the mud line up the back first haha

ah ok i didnt realise they dumped air but makes sense , good shout thank you ;-)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles