2022 Trance X Advanced E+ 2 randomly shuts off?

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
I have 400 flawless kilometers on my 2022 E+3 until yesterday. I just became a victim of this thread… I was on a big ride on flat terrain, mostly in eco and in the last 15km my motor repeatedly turned off. I never saw the red flashing light, it just kept shutting off. I was able to get it to power up and get me up the last hill home. The battery died a block from home in a normal fashion. The ride was 70km long with 225m climbing, weather was only 20 degrees. I’m 300lbs tho. Taking it back to Giant trying not to be pissed off…
Hmmm doesn’t quite sound like an overheating issue. Every time mine got hot(10 times now) the top red light comes on and power drops. I have never had the motor just quit. It gets so hot I actually burnt my fingers when I touched it. Stopping and waiting a couple minutes with it off always resets the mode to normal and off you go for another 5-10 minutes. Going to be interesting to see what your dealer says it is.

UpcountryRider

Aug 20, 2022
Colorado
Okay, I've joined eMTB to talk about this problem. I bought my 2022 Giant Trance X E+2 over summer. After just a few good rides, I was about 1.5 hour into the back country, on a nice morning, riding my bike up a relatively steep gravel road. And that's when it happened the first time. The top of the Power Column started blinking Red and the power shut off. I got off, walked the bike a few minutes, powered up and tried again. In just a few minutes the entire power column (all five lights) illuminated WHITE and it shutdown again. Oh what fun, pushing my 50lb bruiser the remainder way up the road. Upsetting ? Yes. But it was when it happened the second time I started search the internet.

UpcountryRider

Aug 20, 2022
Colorado
Since the second time I have not yet had it happen. But I have been restrained in my choice of rides too. When I reported it to Giant Warranty service they said a new software patch is coming that will address that "overheat threshold" problem. I have not yet seen that patch.

clyde6

Nov 17, 2021
usa
Unfortunately no battery yet. I cleaned the terminals and applied dialectric grease and haven't had a problem since. Still waiting on the "updated" battery though.
My bike does the exact thing . Giant has to do something for these things ! Have you resolved your issue ??

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Since the second time I have not yet had it happen. But I have been restrained in my choice of rides too. When I reported it to Giant Warranty service they said a new software patch is coming that will address that "overheat threshold" problem. I have not yet seen that patch.
The patch Didn’t work with my bike nor did a brand new motor with the patch work. 😳

UpcountryRider

Aug 20, 2022
Colorado
My bike does the exact thing . Giant has to do something for these things ! Have you resolved your issue ??
My "overheat" problem has not been resolved. We performed the GIant diagnostic's (program) twice and found no errors or sensor problems. I was told the software patch to address "My problem" would be coming very soon. That was weeks ago. I have not heard anything.

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
My new battery is still not in-obvious supply chain issues. I can't believe dielectric grease has solved my problem even though they said it was the battery. Again, since I cleaned the battery terminals and applied a light amount of grease I have not had ONE hiccup!

UpcountryRider

Aug 20, 2022
Colorado
My new battery is still not in-obvious supply chain issues. I can't believe dielectric grease has solved my problem even though they said it was the battery. Again, since I cleaned the battery terminals and applied a light amount of grease I have not had ONE hiccup!

Thanks for the info Babahawk. It would seem constructive for us all to collate the list of symptoms, diagnoses and assorted fixes related to our common problem -- sudden motor shutdown on what would seem to be normal mountain biking conditions. Still hard for me to believe it's an "overheat" problem. That suggests that the bike should not be rated for (even) ordinary mountain biking conditions, with respect to going up. I've been told "maybe it was just too hot outside while you were riding; try riding earlier in the morning". NOW -- this all said -- it's a fantastic downhill / all mountain bike with respect to frame, geometries and components. I would say NOT nimble in the banks and chutes but very steady. But maybe with more time nimble will come to me.

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
I hope you can solve it with what you say. But according to my case and others that I'm seeing around here, I don't think that's the solution. It gives me that the problem is in the new PW-3 engine and the high temperatures. Solution? As some forum members say, for now there is none. I imagine they will get an update or know.
Yeah that's a bummer about the temp issue. Mine also runs hot as I stated before and I thought for sure that was my issue too.

mariopaz22

Sep 24, 2022
Guatemala
I have had the same problem but since I applied the battery protector and sealer the issues has not happened
. Apply on bike frame conecctors and inside of slots Battery

80370.jpg

Kiwi Giant

Subscriber
Feb 11, 2020
New Zealand
Have a look at my thread here:

The Giant Dealer here solved the issue and had a Trance in the workshop with a similar issue. I believe that another member (Stewart Sanderson) also identified the battery connector as an issue some time back.

mariopaz22

Sep 24, 2022
Guatemala
Echa un vistazo a mi hilo aquí:

El distribuidor gigante aquí resolvió el problema y tenía un Trance en el taller con un problema similar. Creo que otro miembro (Stewart Sanderson) también identificó el conector de la batería como un problema hace algún tiempo.
[/COTIZAR]
cada vez que quito la bateria para limpiarla

SlowBloke

Nov 1, 2023
Australia
Yeah that's a bummer about the temp issue. Mine also runs hot as I stated before and I thought for sure that was my issue too.
Hi Babahawk. How has your bike been since this post? Any reoccurrence of the issue or are you reasonably sure that the clean and dielectric grease fixed it for good?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles