2022 Trance X Advanced E+ 2 randomly shuts off?

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
After about 500 miles on this new bike it has started to randomly shut off. I have tried to figure out why (terrain, heat, battery connection etc.) and nothing seems to be obviously wrong. Battery connections are clean. Battery is super tight. Scanning with the app-no faults. No obvious water issues. The only thing I noticed is the engine cover on the left side gets very hot-so hot the Giant protective cover with double-sided tape has already fallen off. It is going to the local Giant dealer for diag on their computer but any suggestions would be appreciated!

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
After about 500 miles on this new bike it has started to randomly shut off. I have tried to figure out why (terrain, heat, battery connection etc.) and nothing seems to be obviously wrong. Battery connections are clean. Battery is super tight. Scanning with the app-no faults. No obvious water issues. The only thing I noticed is the engine cover on the left side gets very hot-so hot the Giant protective cover with double-sided tape has already fallen off. It is going to the local Giant dealer for diag on their computer but any suggestions would be appreciated!
I went through this with my 2021 Stance.
Tried a battery shim, nope, tried replacement controller, nope, Giant ended up replacing my bike.
I kept the bars/pedals/seat/wheels etc. They gave me a new battery as well.
***Edit to say my motor didn't get hot that I know of***

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
Well I took it to my local Giant dealer and they ran the full diagnostics on it via their software (way more in depth than the app obviously.) They found NO problems except for there is a "service" setting that was for 500 miles that is built into the software. Evidently because the Trance & Reign have no display the bike literally just shuts off so you have to take it to the shop-wtf! I have 569 miles on this bike and it literally started to do the shut off at about 500 miles. We changed the service interval to something more realistic (6000 miles!) and I will try to ride it later to see if that solved the problem. Shocked the app doesn't have some sort of warning built into it-pretty big oversight if you ask me!

skorp_jon

Feb 21, 2021
Slovenia
Well I took it to my local Giant dealer and they ran the full diagnostics on it via their software (way more in depth than the app obviously.) They found NO problems except for there is a "service" setting that was for 500 miles that is built into the software. Evidently because the Trance & Reign have no display the bike literally just shuts off so you have to take it to the shop-wtf! I have 569 miles on this bike and it literally started to do the shut off at about 500 miles. We changed the service interval to something more realistic (6000 miles!) and I will try to ride it later to see if that solved the problem. Shocked the app doesn't have some sort of warning built into it-pretty big oversight if you ask me!

I have never heard of such a settings for service. Maybe that's something new.

skorp_jon

Feb 21, 2021
Slovenia
Does that mean if you don't service your bike that it will shut down? I thought that these motors don't need servicing. Ride until they die.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
Excuse my English but I doubt very much that Giant would let a dealer key in any random number of miles or hours that would have your motor die on you in the middle of nowhere. :unsure:

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
Yeah-it's a pretty stupid idea to have that interval installed especially when the app and/or bike doesn't tell you.
Just an update I did about 17 miles on the bike last night and it did cut off only 1 time after a pretty brutal climb-it restarted and looked normal but no power from the motor until I manually restarted it again. Not sure if I also have another issue but I guess one time cutting off is better than multiple times. When it cut off the left motor casing was very hot again-the Giant cap has already fallen off from the double-sided tape getting too hot.

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
My 2020 trance just went through this.

it was fine for 18 months, then randomly it would turn off. turning it back on would sort it.
eventually it got worse, shutting off multiple times on a ride, and eventually having to take the battery out and back in to get it to turn on.

My local bike shop were great (Bicycle Chain in Bridgwater).

First they adjusted the battery fitment, which worked for around a month. When it started happening again, they replaced the 'Discharge cable' (from the battery to the motor). That seems to have done the trick, and is working faultlessly again (touch wood)

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
99% sure this bike is overheating for some reason. Bike runs perfect for first 6 miles or so then does the random shut down. Today it would turn back on but shut off again in seconds. This time the led bars on the top tube would flash all 5 led’s on both sides (mode and battery level) then shut off. I can’t find any specific guide to the codes but I did find with the other Giant display/mode switch flashes all 5 codes it is from overheating.

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
I think this pretty likely speaks of a warranty issue and shouldn't be your responsibility to put up with and troubleshoot with such a new bike, but wondering..... . When it over heats, is there an assist level your usually at? Is it possible your in a high gear, slow cadence and really pushing that motor and battery? And you mentioned you could provide a screen cap of the 500mi cutoff setting? I'm a new owner with the same bike, and very interested in these issues/topics and the final solutions assuming there are any.

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
E86C096F-6FFB-46B8-8FCB-581886CB48B0.jpeg

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
Here is a printout of the service interval line-I had my buddy switch it to 6k miles. I mostly use the “active” mode but when I first got the bike I used “auto” quite a bit. I have tried higher cadence/less torque and lower cadence/more torque-same results.

raspadoo

Same scenario here, bought 2 2022 Trance advanced e+ 2's for friends to ride when they visit. First ride on a pretty long 12-15% climb it kept shutting off and motor seemed hot. I was on my Turbo Levo Expert in the same gearing and did not have an issue (I'm 40 lbs heavier as well).

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
Just another update-bike is at the local Giant shop and Giant says it needs an updated battery (funny since this thing is brand new!) Current battery is "Ox17" and update is "0x1b" per the info from the shop. It's on the way to the shop and I will update this post once I get it out and beat the hell out of it!

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Just another update-bike is at the local Giant shop and Giant says it needs an updated battery (funny since this thing is brand new!) Current battery is "Ox17" and update is "0x1b" per the info from the shop. It's on the way to the shop and I will update this post once I get it out and beat the hell out of it!
Well ?! Enquiring minds need to know…🧐

Juanluis1984

Jul 27, 2022
Andujar
Hello I have the same problem as you with the giant Trance x Advanced. I have changed the motor, the battery, and now the control unit. It started to fail me with 1000km, I don't know if it's because of the last update or because the engine doesn't support temperatures and slopes well. Have you solved the problem? On my last outing with a new engine and new battery, I was left without assistance for a long time. Greetings from Spain.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hello I have the same problem as you with the giant Trance x Advanced. I have changed the motor, the battery, and now the control unit. It started to fail me with 1000km, I don't know if it's because of the last update or because the engine doesn't support temperatures and slopes well. Have you solved the problem? On my last outing with a new engine and new battery, I was left without assistance for a long time. Greetings from Spain.
What year is it? Did you buy it new? How much did all these repairs cost you?

Juanluis1984

Jul 27, 2022
Andujar
It is this year 2022. Giant Trance X Advanced E+0. Purchased in January. Brand new. The motor and the battery obviously come under warranty. But the problem still persists. Has anyone found the solution?

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
@Juanluis1984 - a little confused: so the original issue started after 1000km and the same thing started right away with the new battery and motor? Any theories from local shop or dealer there in Spain? Seems like an ugly and surprising coincidence that replacing all the power components resulted in the same symptoms or perhaps the issue isn't related to any of the replaced parts if that's possible?

Juanluis1984

Jul 27, 2022
Andujar
Effectively. They changed the engine for a new one under warranty and the failure continued. They left me a brand new battery with 0 charge cycles and the fault continues. I passed the Giant RideControl application to it and it gave me an error in the powersync motor, being the new motor. We still don't know what the problem is. It may be a problem with the latest update or simply that this new "great" 85nm motor does not support hot conditions and high performance. Although I would bet on the former. We hope to find a solution soon. Also highlight the great attention of my distributor and the quick response of Giant. Although still waiting for a solution.
A235AEF2-2487-43D5-AEFB-4D90992E5075.jpeg

Last edited:

Curt_H

Apr 3, 2022
Twin lakes, CO
Well happy to hear your at least getting good response from Giant and support from the distributor. A silver lining I guess? Please keep us posted on progress as I'm sure plenty of new trance advanced (like myself with only a 100 miles or so, and the new 2022 alloy trance owners) are very interested in how this plays out. Best of luck on a timely and highly satisfactory outcome! And yeah, the pic of one red light on top certainly ain't want you wanna see!

Rickster

Subscriber
Feb 19, 2022
Ok BC Canada
Hmmm seems like the hot weather has brought out the dragon on my ride too. Giant’s response is identical to what has already been discussed here. Basically motor too hot. I tried to continue riding with the flashing light in limp mode and after about 10 minutes the bike shut down completely and restarted in crawl mode jerking off n on. 🥵🧐
“No real solution in sight, my ride is 2022 Regin E-0

Juanluis1984

Jul 27, 2022
Andujar
Unfortunately no battery yet. I cleaned the terminals and applied dialectric grease and haven't had a problem since. Still waiting on the "updated" battery though.
I hope you can solve it with what you say. But according to my case and others that I'm seeing around here, I don't think that's the solution. It gives me that the problem is in the new PW-3 engine and the high temperatures. Solution? As some forum members say, for now there is none. I imagine they will get an update or know.

Babahawk

Mar 17, 2022
Wilmington, DE
I hope you can solve it with what you say. But according to my case and others that I'm seeing around here, I don't think that's the solution. It gives me that the problem is in the new PW-3 engine and the high temperatures. Solution? As some forum members say, for now there is none. I imagine they will get an update or know.
I thought for sure it was the motor overheating on mine too-the plastic Giant motor cap fell off from the heat (held on by some double-sided tape.) The left motor casing cover is also super hot to the touch-especially with that cap on there. I am also 215 lbs and ride in 90-100 degree weather lately so if it was a thermal issue you would think it would shut off on me again!

Trailblaze604

Jul 25, 2022
Vancouver
I have 400 flawless kilometers on my 2022 E+3 until yesterday. I just became a victim of this thread… I was on a big ride on flat terrain, mostly in eco and in the last 15km my motor repeatedly turned off. I never saw the red flashing light, it just kept shutting off. I was able to get it to power up and get me up the last hill home. The battery died a block from home in a normal fashion. The ride was 70km long with 225m climbing, weather was only 20 degrees. I’m 300lbs tho. Taking it back to Giant trying not to be pissed off…

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles